Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 5th Nov 18, 12:05 AM
    • 4,367Posts
    • 28,256Thanks
    allydowd
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 5th November?
    • 5th Nov 18, 12:05 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 5th November? 5th Nov 18 at 12:05 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £5
    Bold 100 Miles Bicycle Bonanza Challenge: Completed
    Run 25 Miles for Sanity Challenge: Completed
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
Page 3
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 6th Nov 18, 12:10 PM
    • 4,367 Posts
    • 28,256 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi November Networkers,

Afternoon! Day off. Kept warming by staying in bed.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

* Check online banking. Done.

* DW will make six portions of lettuce soup with dying cos lettuce. Done.

* Get some exercise. Done. Cycled. Fell off. Got back on. Cycled.

* Consume homemade banana bread/coffee and walnut cake. Done.

* Get 2-for-1 with Meerkat Movies at the cinema this afternoon. Done.

* Make handlebar bag for bike from a makeup bag I bought yesterday. Done.

Things don't have to be perfect to be wonderful.
    Last edited by allydowd; 06-11-2018 at 8:11 PM.
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 6th Nov 18, 12:28 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 8,925 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Thanks Ally! I'd never have thought of doing that!
    Clf, thank you too I'm expecting to find it in the last giant box of lego I look through to be honest!
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • charliedavis
    • By charliedavis 6th Nov 18, 12:49 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    charliedavis
    Hi November Networkers,

Afternoon! Day off. Kept warming by staying in bed.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

* Check online banking. Done.

* DW will make six portions of lettuce soup with dying cos lettuce. Done.

* Get some exercise.

* Consume homemade banana bread/coffee and walnut cake. Done.

* Get 2-for-1 with Meerkat Movies at the cinema this afternoon.

* Make handlebar bag for bike from a makeup bag I bought yesterday. Done.

Things don't have to be perfect to be wonderful.
    Originally posted by allydowd
    Wow - lettuce soup - didnít even know such a thing existed!
    November NSDs: 3/10

-£99,152 net worth - scary figure - my diary out of debt!
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 6th Nov 18, 2:26 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 14,116 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    How to make a free replacement. (Link)
    Originally posted by allydowd
    OH is REMARKABLY picky (no pun intended) but def a good idea for a learner or an emergency

OH will only use .73 Dunlop nylons. We even bought some .73 Tortex Dunlops (they were going cheap but a different material) and they were deemed not to have the right amount of bendiness. There may have been some truth to this as he started snapping strings at a pace. Clearly rocking too hard.
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 06-11-2018 at 2:31 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £10,000!
    • merida88
    • By merida88 6th Nov 18, 3:24 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    merida88
    Yesterday was very accomplished:

- bike to/from work done!
    - all meals and snacks from stores done!
    - take meter readings done!
    - complete final online study module done!
    Originally posted by merida88
    Today I will:
    - bike to work etc
    - all meals and snacks from stores (but will have to buy bread, boo)
    - start exam question prep
    - mend a shirt and make a fancy dress neckerchief for OH
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 6th Nov 18, 5:09 PM
    • 4,367 Posts
    • 28,256 Thanks
    allydowd
    Wow - lettuce soup - didnít even know such a thing existed!
    Originally posted by charliedavis

Recipe. We freeze it and when defrosted add cream. (Link)
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 6th Nov 18, 5:33 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 8,925 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    OH is REMARKABLY picky (no pun intended) but def a good idea for a learner or an emergency

OH will only use .73 Dunlop nylons. We even bought some .73 Tortex Dunlops (they were going cheap but a different material) and they were deemed not to have the right amount of bendiness. There may have been some truth to this as he started snapping strings at a pace. Clearly rocking too hard.
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta

ds definitely won't be picky (pun intended ) He's only just started learning I didn't find his one but my niece has messaged to say she has a spare so when she brings him that one, I'm going to have a go a making a few spares using that one as a template!
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 6th Nov 18, 6:50 PM
    • 4,126 Posts
    • 35,327 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi everyone
    Thank you all for such kind words - I confess to having had more than a few tears and feeling very sorry for myself at the moment. However, I will get through it because I always do. I get back up and keep fighting no matter what. I have an engineer booked to come and look at the washing machine as it's less than 5 years old and still under the extended guarantee I was offered when I bought it - next Tuesday as that's the only day that I can get someone to sit in and wait while I'm at work. I just feel as though I get one thing sorted out and something else comes my way. Hopefully it will stop soon.
    I'd gotten wobbly at work by the end of the day and had a good chat with a couple of friends, which made me feel a bit better, and when I got home I had a gorgeous surprise from our lovely Foxgloves, which has just about made my day. Thank you.
    So I'm keeping the DFW faith, even though my debt continues to rise. Using up leftovers, and stuff in the fridge that's needing used - I've just had banana and peanut butter porridge for my dinner... and I've bagged another nsd. Just keeping my head down and looking forward to an early night and hopefully a better night of sleep.
    November in NY #20 NSD = 9 1 debt vs 100 days £328.51/£1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Nov 18, 7:18 PM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 23,466 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Evening Tuesday Frugalistas,
    Can't decide if I've had a productive day or not. Kept vacillating between wanting to do stuff & sitting on the sofa feeling a bit low & headachey. Mr f has bought me a cookie - I'm cheered by small things these days, aren't I?
    *Pegged out my cheap load of overnight laundry, which got rained on & is now on the heated airer. Set timer for another half price load tonight.
    *Made a big beef stew in the slow cooker & portioned up leftovers.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Did a couple of surveys.
    *Reconciled all my emails from Ziffit with what I have sent them (6 boxes) so as to check off payments coming in.
    *Started a Christmas food list.
    *Unthreaded my strings of homegrown chillies as they had dried well - filled a big jar & I zizzed up the surplus for chilli flakes.
    *Knitted more of my jumper.
    *Tried to put a Christmas wishlist together as requested by mr f.
    *Sorted out 5 bags of stuff for the charity shop - not money saving but decluttering always feels good.
    Hoping to feel more 'in the zone' tomorrow.
    F x
    CCL - glad you liked your prize. Sounds like it arrived on the right day for you x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £398
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 7th Nov 18, 6:58 AM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 41,549 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning guys I'm in a rotten mood as I went to the Drs yesterday about when I passed out. I've got to go for further tests but have been advised not to drive atm. Which means I'm about to leave and catch the bus but the weather is shocking! Feeling grumpy! Luckily today is my last day for a week and I'll get a lift home one way or another.

Cat if your wm doesn't get fixed look on ebay. I've bought lots of appliances second hand and a friend of mine got a wm for £15 that did her a couple of years x

Today:

* washed hair & let dry naturally
    * put B/L/D together
    * check onepoll
    * reading book
    * sewing - really want to alter my dress for tomorrow....
    * hang up washing
    * put washing away
    * read newsletter

ok that's all I can think of right now. Better dash!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 7th Nov 18, 7:34 AM
    • 5,304 Posts
    • 41,993 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Babysitting today, and baby was really cranky yesterday, so I am not looking forward to it He will be here shortly, and his mum picks him up just before 6pm, so it seems a really long day, and I am always shattered at the end of it. Luckily DD is changing her hours in a few weeks time so I won't have him for these long days. He is more difficult than GD was, and of course, I am older (GD is at school now). Still, onwards and upwards!

Not much planned apart from that, no point, as it won't get done! I have however folded and put away all the washing I got dry yesterday / finished off on the airer overnight, except my brother's which is in his laundry bag waiting for him to collect it. Have texted him to tell him it is ready. Just need to put away the summer duvet which I also washed and dried yesterday - thought I would need a trip to the launderette with that, but it fitted in the washer ok So pleased I managed to get it all dry yesterday as it is raining this morning, and rain forecast for the next week or so

Lunch will be bits from the fridge and some of the nice loaf I made in the BM last night, and for dinner I will do something with the stodgy kedgeree I made yesterday No plans to spend anything apart from postage for a RM surveys parcel, but that will be refunded. I also have some books and other bits to take to the CS, which will make an outing for GS this afternoon, and declutter the dining table a bit as well

• natlie
    • By natlie 7th Nov 18, 7:48 AM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 5,219 Thanks
    natlie
    Hi

I'm working from home today, have a lot of stuff to upload to the work intranet - which sounds like a curled up on the sofa warm with my laptop job to me. I have to show face at a lunch with old friends today - I can't really afford it I have £10 in my purse so have found a nice starter on the cafe menu I can have and make excuses that I'm not that hungry.

I did canap!s for a drinks event for 40 ppl last night, then I made a buffet for 20 which hubby is delivering today.

Weather is rubbish so no drying outside, towels have had a double spin and are in the tumble

Have a good day all
    Nat
    £27328 £26,728 £26,668 £26475.20 £26,696.77 DOH
    • browneyed_girl
    • By browneyed_girl 7th Nov 18, 9:20 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    browneyed_girl
    Morning all

Rather miserable morning here but DH has been a hero and taken DDs to school, so I have a rare opportunity to sit down with a cuppa (admittedly made with slightly questionable milk, but diluted in tea it seems ok!)

Things to do today:

1. All meals from stores.

2. List DHís old banjo (yes, banjo) and case on FB selling page.

3. Buy DD2 some new leggings and DS some extra bits. Would normally check charity shops/Ebay but have a £10 cashback offer from swag$, which I can use online at George who currently have all the things I want in their 20% off sale!

4. General housework and laundry to do.

5. Check survey sites x4

6. Check accounts and update spreadsheet.

7.Rearrange dentist appointment for next week (not sure they will want to see me tomorrow with this horrible cold I have!). Making the most of free treatment while maternity exemption applies

8. Look up uses for sour milk

Have a lovely day everyone!
    Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship.
    SPC 12 #50
    • merida88
    • By merida88 7th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    merida88
    Gosh it seems everyone needs some cheering up today! Dodgy hugs and hot tea/coffee/hot choc all round

Oh blast I forgot to bring across yesterday's list... found it:

- bike to work etc done
    - all meals and snacks from stores (but will have to buy bread, boo) not quite, got carried away in the co-op and bought rosemary crackers
    - start exam question prep Kind of? I have a handy app, did some work on that while watching Outlander
    - mend a shirt and make a fancy dress neckerchief for OH Word had got around, I had to make 3 in the end. I did not excel myself here as don't want to end up doing it too often . Mended the shirt OK though!

Today:
    - all meals and snacks from stores
    - take pooch out
    - return friend's amazing new dog brush
    - text other friend to say we can't go to her birthday
    - be taxi driver for OH
    - tell grandboss he should have my salary put against the finance team's costs instead of mine, as all my time seems to be spent doing admin they request instead of my own value adding work (joking about this one, but it is getting to me)
    Last edited by merida88; 07-11-2018 at 9:32 AM.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 7th Nov 18, 12:15 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 14,116 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Mahoosive hugs to everyone today It sounds like there's a lot going on.

ccl and foxgloves - sending you lots of love
    DNMS - fingers crossed nothing too untoward is wrong
    browneyed_girl - you may have gathered that my OH is a musician. Having a banjo doesn't strike me as odd in the least. In fact I have only recently managed to reduce the number of unused banjos in our house from 2 to 1.

natalie - I hope the lunch is fun
    Dawn - I hope that your DGS is better today
    merida - could be worth a discussion with your boss if there's lots of job creep?

I'm off today for 5 days (hooray) but have a cough and sore throat (boo). The cold has also affected my balance (double boo) [regular readers will be aware that I have an ongoing vertigo problem]
    But I'm feeling pleasantly centred in myself so I'm doing little tasks in small bursts and sitting reading in between.

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores. Have already taken stuff out the freezer for tea so I won't be tempted just to have nibbles- done
    • Tightened all the screws on the washing rack before it breaks - done
    • Service wash on the WM- done
    • Wash on 30 deg- done
    • Windows open to air house- done
    • Washed vacuum filters- done
    • Asked friend to drop parcel off to me that was delivered to work- done
    • My WGAC loo roll arrived. Time to test it out! OH is the picky one it is cheaper than what we currently buy.- done
    • Poss cast on sock - just don't have the brain for it today
    • General tidy round as and when I feel up to it - done
    • Heating off - done
    • Take ebay parcel to the post office. Don't really want to venture out but it needs posting - done
    • Real honey and real lemon drinks instead of forking out for lemsip - done
    Will add more as I go if I do anything

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 07-11-2018 at 5:42 PM.

• charliedavis
    • By charliedavis 7th Nov 18, 12:20 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    charliedavis
    [*]Wash on 30 deg- done
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    I was wondering if this gets your clothes properly clean? I've been washing at 40 and sometimes even at 60 if it's bedding or towels?
    November NSDs: 3/10

-£99,152 net worth - scary figure - my diary out of debt!
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 7th Nov 18, 1:17 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 2,306 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Afternoon,

I've been a bit AWOL at the moment. Life just sometimes gets in the way.

I've racked up quite a few NSDs so far this month, which I'm happy about.

Today has been a spend day. I've tried to do as much as possible this morning so I'm not spending on other days.

I've been to the dentist and paid up all the fees for my treatment plan. I popped it onto the CC and will pay it off as soon as possible. I've also nipped into town and got some photos printed to give as Christmas gifts to the other side of the boys family.

I then went and bought some nicotine patches from boots as I'm going to attempt to stop smoking. I paid full price but as soon as I got home, I had a gander on the internet and bought some more off Amazon, saving me £5 a pack. If I get through the first couple of weeks/month I'll be okay. All the money saved from quitting will go towards future travel funds.

I'm off to the boys school shortly as they've arranged a open afternoon for all parents. Should be good!

Chandelier.
    Current Debt: £0.

Check out my Diary
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 7th Nov 18, 2:26 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 14,116 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    I was wondering if this gets your clothes properly clean? I've been washing at 40 and sometimes even at 60 if it's bedding or towels?
    It hasn't seemed to make much difference to the cleanliness - I only started doing it when we got the new machine. Although I do pop things like towels through on 40 or 60 if they seem a bit worse for wear. It seems fine for every day stuff
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 07-11-2018 at 3:24 PM.

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 7th Nov 18, 6:06 PM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 41,549 Thanks
    determined new ms

I wash everything at 30. If something is particularly stained I'll rub something in it first. I don't have any problems. I think if you wash hotter you'll actually set the stain
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 7th Nov 18, 7:17 PM
    • 5,304 Posts
    • 41,993 Thanks
    DawnW

8. Look up uses for sour milk
    Originally posted by browneyed_girl

Scones Browneyed_girl:
    sorry, measurements in old money as for some reason I always do scones that way (though not most other things )

1lb self raising flour
    1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
    3 oz margarine or butter (margarine is fine, save the butter for spreading on them once cooked )
    2 tablespoons sugar
    Handful of dried fruit
    Half a pint of milk, if it is on the turn, so much the better

Preheat oven to Gas 7 or equivalent, grease a baking tray
    Sieve flour and baking powder, rub in the margarine (or let your processor or mixer do it for you)
    Stir in the sugar and dried fruit
    Add enough milk to make a soft but not too sticky dough
    Flatten (not too much, leave about 2cm thick) on a floured surface, and cut out rounds, repeat till all the dough is used
    Place on baking tray spaced apart a bit, brush with more dubious milk, and bake for 10-15 mins, check after 10 mins

Enjoy with butter and jam

If you like you can omit the sugar and fruit and add a handful of grated cheese instead, you will then have cheese scones. Obvs you won't have jam with these

You can of course halve the quantities if you like, but they freeze really well, so I always make this amount.
    Last edited by DawnW; 07-11-2018 at 7:20 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,535Posts Today

7,445Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin