We can't afford to live together and have children

Comments

• JPB156
    JPB156 Posts: 91 Forumite
    The money we put aside would be for childcare then the rest would have to pay for new cars and everything else for the entire period.

160000 price is where I feel more comfortable but there's 1 house on there at the moment for that price in this town which doesn't need lots spent on it which is why we are scared we will get priced out before we find one
  • JPB156
    How can you say it won't be repossessed, house prices are at record highs at some point they will crash, you can't 'just sell it' if your in negative equity
  • ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm sorry but its "big girl pants time" for you. you are both young so get off your backsides and do something to change your situation. Comments such as:

" I'm a team leader and management barely get more than me, she works in a bank and has been trying for years to move up and the opportunity just isn't there"

just smack of you sitting on your hands waiting for luck to fall into your laps. There is a big wide world out there with lots of opportunities if you are willing to go out and find them, apply for jobs in other companies, other towns, other counties, look at changing what you do, if you need better qualifications go and get them, if it is too expensive to live in that area consider relocating. No one is going to help you if you do not help yourself so either make your own destiny or adjust your expectations in life.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    JPB156 wrote: »
    The money we put aside would be for childcare then the rest would have to pay for new cars and everything else for the entire period.

160000 price is where I feel more comfortable but there's 1 house on there at the moment for that price in this town which doesn't need lots spent on it which is why we are scared we will get priced out before we find one

Why, you both work minimum wage, why bother with child care at all? One of you can just give up work for 3 years then do part time.
  • Guest101
    How can you say it won't be repossessed, house prices are at record highs at some point they will crash, you can't 'just sell it' if your in negative equity

Then rent, but move out and try living together first
  • JPB156
    There is more to this than the money side we are just as desperate about our own personal feelings about realising we cannot afford what we thought we could, but I know that's not what this thread is for.

So on the financial side does a 150000 mortgage on 34000 wage sound foolish and unrealistic, it's hard to work out how much other bills will cost
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    These posts make me want to give you a shake! Can only assume your girlfriend is a bit of a 'glass half empty' type of person too or I don't know how she'd put up with your attitude without going mad!

You aren't rich, no, but you earn enough combined to move out and see how you get on living together and being a bit more grown up and independent. Just do that first, don't overthink the rest for now.
  • JPB156
    Living on one wage would lose more than we would spend on childcare, we would have to pay mortgage and everything else on 1150
  • Guest101
    There is more to this than the money side we are just as desperate about our own personal feelings about realising we cannot afford what we thought we could, but I know that's not what this thread is for.

So on the financial side does a 150000 mortgage on 34000 wage sound foolish and unrealistic, it's hard to work out how much other bills will cost

At what rate? I mean you're asking questions people cannot answer. What cars do u intend to buy? Do u need two? What's your insurance? Bills for 3 people typically 800 a month?
  • Guest101
    Living on one wage would lose more than we would spend on childcare, we would have to pay mortgage and everything else on 1150

You'd be entitled to a number of benefits, have you looked into this? Most childcare arrangements are in excess of 800/900 per month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure