Cyclist collision at mini round about

Hi advice on whose at fault. Last night at around sunset, a cyclist hit me at a mini round about drivers front wing. I pulled up at mini round about and saw the car to my right stationary so proceeded to enter the round about. I then hear a thud and a cyclist has collided with my rhs near the mini round about. I didn't see him, I imagine when I pulled off he was at the right side of the car at my right so I had no clear view of him, plus he was wearing all black, no pedal reflectors and no front light, just a back light, no helmet. I wish I took a photo of the fact he had no front light on at the scene. He didn't require and ambulance but was hit from bike. Any ideas how this may unfold? He stated that he saw a learner to his right and thought he could make it in time and probably didn't look infront. I understand traffic to the right has right of way but when a car to my right has stopped to give way to me it necessitates that I should have entered the round about, I imagine the cyclist didn't come to a stop at the give way sign and was just concentrating on beating traffic to his right

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Someone else volunteering to give way doesn't mean road users can ignore correct right of way.
  • I didn't say it did, but how am I possibly going to see a cyclist if he is at the right of a stationary vehicle with no lights and in dark clothing, if the cyclist had taken a central position in front of the stationary vehicle I could have seen his position and intent or lack of to move. Its a perfect time to enter a mini round about when cars to your right are stationary as they are waiting for cars to their right to pass
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I'd say it's your fault.
  • GwylimT
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I didn't say it did, but how am I possibly going to see a cyclist if he is at the right of a stationary vehicle with no lights and in dark clothing, if the cyclist had taken a central position in front of the stationary vehicle I could have seen his position and intent or lack of to move. Its a perfect time to enter a mini round about when cars to your right are stationary as they are waiting for cars to their right to pass

Because the person entering the roundabout should be observing properly to give way to all road users on the right.
  • even though he did not have lights was dressed in black and had no reflectors?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OK i will bite....

He was to your right and you didnt look properly?

If someone gives way to you you dont automatically get the right of
    way over every other road user. You only go IF SAFE.

Seems it wasnt safe and you didnt look properly.

The other vehicle being stopped or waving you on is irrelevent, you
    should have given way and you didnt.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • GwylimT
    Combo Breaker First Post
    even though he did not have lights was dressed in black and had no reflectors?

Does that prevent you looking? What happens when you're required to give way to a black vehicle?
  • Ok should the cyclist have had lights on, reflectors and a helmet so he is CLEARLY visible even when behind stationary vehicles
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    even though he did not have lights was dressed in black and had no reflectors?

Contributory factors to you not seeing him. Did the police attend?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure