Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• JJwrites
    JJwrites Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 27 November 2017 at 6:18PM
    I booked Monarch flights for me and my sister with Lastminute.com on my debit card. This came to £304.

I've finally heard back from Lastminute today (my bank incorrectly said they could sort it out for me, then when I called to chase they said there was nothing they could do) and they are refunding me but it's £27 less because of a 'refund management fee'. This hasn't been mentioned before so is this allowed? Given that we've been over £300 short for almost 2 months I'm surprised they are allowed to do this!

Also, I didn't try to go to my insurer. Should I have?

As a result of the Monarch flights being cancelled we had to book with BA and spend around £200 extra, so we've lost out on money (plus had a nightmare getting home as the only available flight time was very late at night!).

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you
    JJ
  • I am trying to reclaim payment for Monarch flight booking June 2018 from Nationwide BS. NBS require evidence of the booking but the only confirmation email from Monarch has a link to their website showing details of the booking. The link has now of course been taken down. I have no further evidence other than my hotel booking confirmation. Is there any way I can get a copy of my booking from Monarch administrators?
  • JudBam wrote: »
    I am trying to reclaim payment for Monarch flight booking June 2018 from Nationwide BS. NBS require evidence of the booking but the only confirmation email from Monarch has a link to their website showing details of the booking. The link has now of course been taken down. I have no further evidence other than my hotel booking confirmation. Is there any way I can get a copy of my booking from Monarch administrators?

If you've got your confirmation email then it's got all the flight details on it, including prices.
  • No the email just says "thanks for booking" and refers me to the button at the top - manage my booking with reference number. There are no details eg date, time, flight number in the body of the email. When I click on the button at the top - it goes to a blank page. I have no other confirmation email. Any ideas how to obtain these as NBS asking for evidence.
  • JudBam wrote: »
    No the email just says "thanks for booking" and refers me to the button at the top - manage my booking with reference number. There are no details eg date, time, flight number in the body of the email. When I click on the button at the top - it goes to a blank page. I have no other confirmation email. Any ideas how to obtain these as NBS asking for evidence.

Strange. All my confirmation emails from Monarch (and I've had many of them) have had full details on them.

I'm looking at one now. At the top it says Thank You. Booking confirmation. There's a link to my booking. There's the booking date, the status of the booking and the booking total.

Then it tells you about API, there's a bit about car hire and then the itinerary which has full names, seat numbers, baggage, flight numbers, dates, routes, times.

Then there's some more reading about OLCI check, then a section which details any flight extra eg priority boarding. After that there's booking contact details and payment details.

That's followed by info for PRM, and then it mentions flight terms and conditions.

All mine have always been like that. Did you book direct with Monarch, or via a third party?
  • Booked direct. The email is very similar to what you say. I have booked before and usually get a full confirmation. No the email just says "thanks for booking with us, we look forward to welcoming you aboard" and then goes on to give details of APL, car hire etc. At the time it didn't matter because the link to manage my booking worked but as I say nothing showing now. I booked the flight beginning of September and NBS are saying I have no proof that I didn't get the flight before Monarch went into administration. I have rebooked with another airline so not sure if NBS will consider looking at that booking and also my hotel booking next June as evidence.
  • NBS can't link your new flight and hotel booking to your Monarch booking unless you have proof of your Monarch travel date. If you had that the new bookings would be superfluous anyway.

If there's absolutely nothing on your email that gives a travel date then I can only suggest you contact the adminstrators.
  • would it be possible to go back in your history on the pc or whatever you used.
  • AndyE000 wrote: »
    We have a John Lewis credit card with which we bought our flights for next Summer direct through the Monarch website. Following advice here we put in an "Anticipatory Breach" claim under Section 75 in writing to John Lewis. After some delay, the money has been refunded to our Credit Card account and we have had the credit balance transferred to our bank account.

However, the letter outlining the refund says the following:

"We're investigating the matter for you with the retailer's bank and have arranged to refund this amount to your Partnership card while this happens....
    .... If our claim is unsuccessful we will let you know either by phoning or writing to you. In that event, the transaction may be re-debited from your account" (emphasis mine)

We're not sure what that means? Are they saying they're making a chargeback claim even though we were specific about Section 75? We can certainly do without having the refund taken back - we've already had to book (and pay for) new flights with BA.
    tintown wrote: »
    i have credit card with nationwide and received this reply I am pleased to tell you that i have been able to recover the funds from the retailer refund shown on next statement.The retailer may choose to challenge our reasons for claiming back these funds which may mean that your account could be debited again in the future we will let you know in this case.

So have i got it back or not ?

The letters said exactly the same for me, its a standard wording for a transaction reversal of this nature. The chances of anyone (including the retailer) actually disputing the chargeback is 0%, stop worrying.

Most credit cards are processing them en masse as chargebacks rather than S75 claims, hence this wording.
  • woz28
    woz28 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    woz28 wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone will be able to help. I booked Monarch flight only tickets in Feb 2017 by credit card. Flights were for July I didn't take out travel insurance (yes I know I should've) and had to cancel due to finding out I had cancer. Monarch issued me with a credit voucher for 12 months from July 2017. Would I still be covered by the credit card Section 75?
    Quick update, I made a claim and received full credit from my credit card company last week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure