Bridging Fund to DB Pensions – Invest or not?

Hi All,

OH & I are nearing implementation of our plan to ‘Retire’ early from April next year, essentially via depletion of funds to bridge gap to DB Pensions. We are mortgage and debt free.

Equity realised from a property sale has been moved into SIPPs to secure tax relief benefits and currently held as cash. Work DC Pensions currently being maximised for Employer Contributions. Total SIPP / DC Pensions Value at April 2018 will be £120k.

Additional to this we have £45k in Cash and £65k in S&S ISA.

Main Drawdown Plan strategy is to utilise SIPPs below Personal Allowances, supplement with Cash where required and ISA held as Backup Fund. Target Spend is £25k pa.

Driven by DB release dates, the Spend Profile is as follows:-
  • OH SIPP; £70k; Drawdown to depletion from April 18 to Dec 22 (4yrs 9months)
  • Cash; £35k; Drawdown to depletion from April 18 to Oct 21 (3yrs 6months)
  • Me SIPP; £50k; Drawdown to depletion from Oct 21 to Oct 26 (5yrs)
OH DB Pension kicks in Dec 22 @£11k pa (Plus 30k TFLS)
My DB Pension kicks in Oct 26 @£21k pa (Plus 50k TFLS)

Considering the short time frame, I’ve cautiously remained in cash for SIPPs. However, with the recent shift in interest rates, I’m increasingly of the view that I need to invest a chunk of the SIPPs. My target is only to offset interest rate impacts as the “Bridging Fund” is depleted.

Given the above, how would you go forward? Invest or not? And if Yes, what would be your approach?

Thanks

Comments

• bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I like your tax minimization strategy, but you might want to also consider that by withdrawing from the DC pensions you are giving up tax deferred growth so keep that as low as is convenient. I like that you are keeping the ISA as a backup.

I'm a little confused about how much time gap between retirement and DB starting that you need to bridge, but I suggest that you keep an overall asset allocation that has at least 50% equities. With DB pensions you can take some risk. Do you actually have to deplete your DC to make it to DB start? Think about them as income generators rather than pots of money to spend.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,063
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    edited 19 May 2017 at 7:17PM
    I share Bostonerimus's confusion as you dont seem to have allocated enough money to finance your £25K requirement, at least until OH's DB pension starts with its TFLS.

You dont seem to have made any allowance for inflation.

However, starting from your numbers.....
    I suggest that you keep your requirements for the period until Dec 2022 in cash. This is the period during which you are most tight for money and so you cant take major risks with satisfying your needs. Add in a bit of emergency cash, but anything beyond that can reasonably be held in equities.

Then when the OH TFLS arrives you will have nearly sufficient cash to last you until the end of 2025 so you will only need to release a small part of your equity. Beyond 2026 you seem to have more than enough guaranteed income to meet your needs so you can keep a large % of your wealth in equity.

When do your State Pensions become payable? They will make your position even more secure.
  • bostonerimus
    Forumite
    Of course its Dec 2022 and Oct 2026....silly me
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Having paid off your mortgage makes things look rather tight. Might it not be wise to open a mortgage now while you both still have jobs and interest rates are low? You can pay it back in an accelerated way once your DB pensions and State Retirement Pensions are in payment.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • bostonerimus
    Forumite
    edited 19 May 2017 at 9:48PM
    I've successfully done just what you are doing. I retired at 52 and my pension didn't start until age 55 and I lived off savings and investments fro 3 years.

OK so it looks like you'll have £230k to draw from when you retire in 2018 and you need to generate an inflation adjusted £25k. Let's assume 2% inflation and a 5% return from a fairly conservative portfolio maybe (50/50). You haven't mentioned if the DB pensions are inflation adjusted or if you get state pension so I won't include either in the estimates......you'll be ok without either and rolling in it if you do get those benefits.

in 2022 you should have £150k in your SIPP/ISA/Cash pot. Then you gat the first pension and a lump sum and so your SIPP/ISA/Cash pot will jump up a bit and end back at about £150k in 2026 when the next pension and lump sum will put you back into accumulation territory (assuming you are still drawing an inflation adjusted £25k) In 2047 with the numbers I assume the SIPP/ISA/Cash pot will be around £400k.

If you get state pension too you will be even better off.....your £25k income requirement should be more than met by your savings and pensions. Even if you were really conservative and put everything into a savings bond ladder and you only got 2% annual return you'd still be ok.......that's assuming inflation stays at 2%......but it inflation were to go up so would the return from your savings bond ladder. You are in a good position.
  • Ian66
    Ian66 Posts: 19 Forumite
    I've successfully done just what you are doing. I retired at 52 and my pension didn't start until age 55 and I lived off savings and investments fro 3 years.

OK so it looks like you'll have £230k to draw from when you retire in 2018 and you need to generate an inflation adjusted £25k. Let's assume 2% inflation and a 5% return from a fairly conservative portfolio maybe (50/50). You haven't mentioned if the DB pensions are inflation adjusted or if you get state pension so I won't include either in the estimates......you'll be ok without either and rolling in it if you do get those benefits.

in 2022 you should have £150k in your SIPP/ISA/Cash pot. Then you gat the first pension and a lump sum and so your SIPP/ISA/Cash pot will jump up a bit and end back at about £150k in 2026 when the next pension and lump sum will put you back into accumulation territory (assuming you are still drawing an inflation adjusted £25k) In 2047 with the numbers I assume the SIPP/ISA/Cash pot will be around £400k.

If you get state pension too you will be even better off.....your £25k income requirement should be more than met by your savings and pensions. Even if you were really conservative and put everything into a savings bond ladder and you only got 2% annual return you'd still be ok.......that's assuming inflation stays at 2%......but it inflation were to go up so would the return from your savings bond ladder. You are in a good position.

Thanks Bostonerimus,

Your figures align with mine, and in response to your queries both DB Pensions are inflation adjusted and SP's are @£6.5k pa each with COPE reductions, so the position post Oct 26 when both DB Pensions are in payment is comfortable.

My concern is how to balance investment risk for the overall Bridging Fund from April 18 to Oct 26 to offset inflationary erosion? You mention a 5% return from a 50/50 portfolio which would more than suffice, any pointers on your proposed composition of this? Also I'm interested in the "Savings Bond Ladder" you refer to - do you have any particular products you have used and is it available wrapped in SIPP or ISA?

Post Dec 22 when OH DB Pension & TFLS is in payment, this will provide a platform for equity focussed investing, but I feel a more cautious decumulation strategy is required prior to this?

Cheers
  • Ian66
    Linton wrote: »
    I share Bostonerimus's confusion as you dont seem to have allocated enough money to finance your £25K requirement, at least until OH's DB pension starts with its TFLS.

You dont seem to have made any allowance for inflation.

However, starting from your numbers.....
    I suggest that you keep your requirements for the period until Dec 2022 in cash. This is the period during which you are most tight for money and so you cant take major risks with satisfying your needs. Add in a bit of emergency cash, but anything beyond that can reasonably be held in equities.

Then when the OH TFLS arrives you will have nearly sufficient cash to last you until the end of 2025 so you will only need to release a small part of your equity. Beyond 2026 you seem to have more than enough guaranteed income to meet your needs so you can keep a large % of your wealth in equity.

When do your State Pensions become payable? They will make your position even more secure.

Thanks Linton,

Combining the £155k set out in my original post with £40k OH DB Pension & £20k OH TFLS provides the £215k required till Oct 26. This leaves £65k ISA and £10k Cash as backup, and whilst my DB TFLS of £50k landing Oct 26 falls just after the Drawdown period it does provide additional comfort.

We are also considering downsizing sometime post Jan 19 which should release equity of @ £50k.

To answer your query, SP's land Dec 28 & Oct 33, both @ £6.5k with COPE reductions.

Your observation about a lack of allowance for inflation is key and capital value erosion is my main concern. I had previously planned to invest both SIPPs in a cautious mixed portfolio to offset inflation only, but given the short time frame for drawdown of OH SIPP in particular this now feels unrealistic. I'm not aware of any product available in a SIPP which effectively replicates a standard saving vehicle that protects capital and provides a fixed interest return?

Your advice to hold funding required for the period until Dec 2022 in cash and supplement with a bit of emergency cash, then invest remainder therefore chimes with my current thoughts and is welcome reassurance. Next step is to develop a portfolio to suit - any thoughts on broad composition of this?

Cheers
  • Ian66
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Having paid off your mortgage makes things look rather tight. Might it not be wise to open a mortgage now while you both still have jobs and interest rates are low? You can pay it back in an accelerated way once your DB pensions and State Retirement Pensions are in payment.

Thanks Kidsmugsy,

This has previously been advised to us, but as the family home is too large for us now we intend to downsize sometime post Jan 19 which should release equity of @ £50k.

Also, as our SP's don't land until Dec 28 & Oct 33 (both @ £6.5k with COPE reductions) this is probably too long a time frame to the make the proposal workable?

Cheers
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,063
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Ian66 wrote: »
    Also, as our SP's don't land until Dec 28 & Oct 33 (both @ £6.5k with COPE reductions) this is probably too long a time frame to the make the proposal workable?

It would seem you should have plenty of time to bring your pensions up to the full amount with voluntary NI contributions.
  • bostonerimus
    Forumite
    edited 20 May 2017 at 1:38PM
    Ian66 wrote: »
    Thanks Bostonerimus,

Your figures align with mine, and in response to your queries both DB Pensions are inflation adjusted and SP's are @£6.5k pa each with COPE reductions, so the position post Oct 26 when both DB Pensions are in payment is comfortable.

My concern is how to balance investment risk for the overall Bridging Fund from April 18 to Oct 26 to offset inflationary erosion? You mention a 5% return from a 50/50 portfolio which would more than suffice, any pointers on your proposed composition of this? Also I'm interested in the "Savings Bond Ladder" you refer to - do you have any particular products you have used and is it available wrapped in SIPP or ISA?

Post Dec 22 when OH DB Pension & TFLS is in payment, this will provide a platform for equity focussed investing, but I feel a more cautious decumulation strategy is required prior to this?

Cheers

What I did when I retired 3 years before my pension started was to put 1 year of spending in a high interest immediate access savings account in addition to the 6 months of cash I keep in the bank in case the market tanked. The rest of my DC pension money and investments were in a roughly 60/40 mix (equity/bond) of index trackers....so something like VLS60. I'm in the US and my asset allocation was domestically focussed so I was around 40% US equity, 20% International equity, 40% US bond market. If you want to use a savings bond ladder along with your cash in place of a short term bond allocation....or in place of some equity if you are conservative...then just buy savings bonds of various durations (1,2,3,4,5 years) being aware of the insured limit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure