PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Struggling to pay your rent? Shelter needs your help!

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you could pay your rent, and he is your son, why should the state chip in in case of need? Very bizarre, makes me wonder if these reports we have from charities (this was a Shelter thread) and state offices are overwhelmed with no real urgent cases.

First off, I don't rent, I own my home so I don't need to be able to pay my rent.

When he was at university and having a spot of bother with his rented house (not rent related), I posted here for advice and was told by several posters that as he was 19, I should but out. He was an adult. I was doing him no favours taking over his life.

Now, all of a sudden, the same judgemental type of people are saying that I should tell him to uproot himself from Scotland and come back to live at home because he's between jobs and needs to sign on for a couple of months. No mention of letting him get on with it. All of a sudden at 25, he's my problem again.

Really?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    zagfles wrote: »
    Why should pimento spay his/her adult son's rent? What next, should children pay their parents' pension?

Why should someone else pay it?
    As I said, I find it really bizarre!

(FWIW, originally children would pay parents' pensions by contributing... )
    EU expat working in London
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2017 at 10:59AM

(FWIW, originally children would pay parents' pensions by contributing... )

For what it's worth, I pay my son's rent by contributing (to the tune of £1300 a month). Just saying.

ETA: and when he was working, he was contributing to his own rent. That's how National Insurance works.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    pimento wrote: »
    My son's degree was Politics. (In case you thought it was Star Trek studies or Media Studies.)

Apparently academic pursuits are for the children of the independently wealthy, working class kids are there to build the houses and fix the toilets of their betters.

There's nothing wrong with learning a trade, if that's what you want to do, but there's equally nothing wrong with going to university to study something that might not land you a job straightaway if that's what you want to do too. Some people even do both!

In a wealthy, developed country like this one, education is a right, not a privilege.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Speaking of propaganda, plenty of people here seem to believe the propaganda than benefits are really low. Till I came along no-one even seemed to question why Pimento's son was getting so little, they just assumed it was what people like him are entitled to, and calling it a "scandal".

The real scandal is people believing propaganda that benefits really are that low. It ends up with people not questioning it when they get told bulls**t like the OP's son was told, that he'd have to scrounge off family and friends.

Do you think its telling that we all accepted that figure? We all know there have been cuts but those of us not affected won't know the numbers. 10 years ago I bet all the replies would have been along the lines of "that can't be right, they must have got the amount wrong!"

I am pleased to hear that the OP's son should be entitled to more help, but disturbed that he was apparently given seriously duff information when making his claim.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pimento wrote: »
    When he was at university and having a spot of bother with his rented house (not rent related), I posted here for advice and was told by several posters that as he was 19, I should but out. He was an adult. I was doing him no favours taking over his life.

Now, all of a sudden, the same judgemental type of people are saying that I should tell him to uproot himself from Scotland and come back to live at home because he's between jobs and needs to sign on for a couple of months. No mention of letting him get on with it. All of a sudden at 25, he's my problem again.

Really?
    Hah, that's brilliant. Forums, eh?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Do you think its telling that we all accepted that figure?
    Yes indeed. People have swallowed the propaganda about the scale of the cuts.
    We all know there have been cuts but those of us not affected won't know the numbers. 10 years ago I bet all the replies would have been along the lines of "that can't be right, they must have got the amount wrong!"
    Which just emphasises the point. In actual fact the numbers haven't changed much - they'll be a bit lower because the LHA rates are now based on the 30th percentile of market rents rather than 50th, but to not even question how the total was so low is just a sign of how people have swallowed the endless propaganda of the "war on sick, disabled and unemployed" etc.
    I am pleased to hear that the OP's son should be entitled to more help, but disturbed that he was apparently given seriously duff information when making his claim.
    Indeed. Maybe even benefits staff themselves have been affected by the propaganda?
  • zagfles
    Apparently academic pursuits are for the children of the independently wealthy, working class kids are there to build the houses and fix the toilets of their betters.

There's nothing wrong with learning a trade, if that's what you want to do, but there's equally nothing wrong with going to university to study something that might not land you a job straightaway if that's what you want to do too. Some people even do both!

In a wealthy, developed country like this one, education is a right, not a privilege.
    Oh so we just rely on workers from "poorer" or "less developed" countries to build the houses and fix the toilets do we, as it's far too menial for us in a "wealthy, developed" country?

Education should indeed be a right, but unless you're a complete idealogical loony there are limits. Should everyone be able to stay in education their entire life funded by the taxpayer learning something of little use to anyone else? Or should there be limits? Should the govt prioritise funding education in subjects which are actually useful to their future job prospects and to the country's future needs?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Oh so we just rely on workers from "poorer" or "less developed" countries to build the houses and fix the toilets do we, as it's far too menial for us in a "wealthy, developed" country?

Education should indeed be a right, but unless you're a complete idealogical loony there are limits. Should everyone be able to stay in education their entire life funded by the taxpayer learning something of little use to anyone else? Or should there be limits? Should the govt prioritise funding education in subjects which are actually useful to their future job prospects and to the country's future needs?

Is that what I said at all?

Education without obvious applications has got us where we are! What state do you think the world would be in if people had only ever studied stuff that had obvious practical use?

Education/training should be based on that person's ability, desire and interest. If we need to incentivise certain career paths that's fine, but we must never give up on the purely academic side of education or have a culture where only certain kinds of people feel able to take that path.
  • zagfles
    edited 17 May 2017 at 2:39PM
    Is that what I said at all?
    It seemed to be. Read the first and last sentence of your PP. You imply that it's not OK that people born into a wealthy family should get more education choices, but that it is OK that people born into a wealthy country should.

So instead of the UK poor fixing the toilets of the rich, the world poor can fix all our toilets.
    Education without obvious applications has got us where we are! What state do you think the world would be in if people had only ever studied stuff that had obvious practical use?

Education/training should be based on that person's ability, desire and interest. If we need to incentivise certain career paths that's fine, but we must never give up on the purely academic side of education or have a culture where only certain kinds of people feel able to take that path.
    There's nothing wrong with purely acedemic education - and that often leads to good jobs not because of what is learnt, but because what the ability to learn it shows about the graduate.

Maths is good example - maths graduates aren't in high demand because loads of employers need people who understand Fermat's last theorem or who can do advanced calculus. Maths is in high demand because the ability to learn it and get a degree shows an ability which is useful in lots of other fields. It's similar with languages, and lots of other subjects.

Media studies on the other hand does have obvious practical uses - we all use media, we need journalists. Yet graduates who did media studies have worse job prospects than people who did classics.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure