Should we go bankrupt or 24 year dmp

Hi

Gosh where do I start the stress is immense, anyway we are to choose between a 24 year dpp, dmp or bankrupcy in Scotland.

We owe just over £10,000 step change has advised us, we only have £34 suplus for 5 creditors thats why it would take 24 year to clear the debt which maks me want to cry.

I have an illness which unless i reduce my stress levels have zero chance of getting well from.We only rent our home with a housing and our car is only worth £500 if that, which hubby needs for work and to put my mobility scooter in, last time i checked i wasnt eligible for PIP

How bad would bankrupcy be?

Comments

• Colette2013
    Colette2013 Posts: 14 Forumite
    its fine sequestration isnt a viable option for us at this time.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Would you not qualify for the minimal asset process ?

Similar to a debt relief order in England and Wales.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/S/factsheets/Pages/ways-to-clear-your-debt-scotland/debt-advice.aspx#
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Colette

Is there any particular reason you know of that would make sequestration unviable?

Nothing you have said above or in your other thread indicates anything to me that would prevent you from pursuing this option.

Your health and wellbeing need to be your top priority, and a process like sequestration that legally clears the debts could go a long way to helping with this.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • 24yr DMP ... absolutely not.

Go for DRO as debt under 20k

If not yes bankcrupty, 6yrs. Job done.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    24yr DMP ... absolutely not.

Go for DRO as debt under 20k

If not yes bankcrupty, 6yrs. Job done.

They're in Scotland, John
  • Johnsmith2016
    Johnsmith2016 Posts: 436 Forumite
    Ah ... apologises

A LILA then perhaps
  • fatbelly
    Ah ... apologises

A LILA then perhaps

I think that's what became MAP bankruptcy (post 3)
  • skintandfat
    skintandfat Posts: 187 Forumite
    You could contact the creditirs and tell them you are not able to make payments.
    I have paid £1 a month to 2 cards for 7 years. Every 6 months they ask for a review.
    I have all my incomes and outgoings on a spread sheet and reel off the up to date figures.
    As we are on benefits it shows a negative amount (our son gets DLA as he is disabled and helps us scrape by, they cannot take his benefits into account as he is an adult)

Every option will trash your credit file so at this stage it doesn't really matter which you choose- one thing people forget to point out:
    If you default the default drops off your file 6 years from then never and should not be added later.
    In other words the sooner you default the sooner it will disappear.

Also in Scotland - if you were to stop paying all together they may chase you for debt but you could go BR then (the creditors could petition for your BR) at no cost to you.

If you do not pay a debt in Scotland for 5 years it ceases to exist and is also unenforceable.

If I was in your position I know what I would do

One other bit of advice- get a phone that records your calls (many android ones do) and use that.
    Tell creditors you are recording the call and you will be amazed at how nice they are :D
  • fatbelly

If I was in your position I know what I would do

What would you do?

Your post mentions
    • making long-term token payments
    • creditors petitioning for bankruptcy
    • not paying and allowing the debts to become statute barred
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories