Jury Service Information NEEDED PLEASE

Options
I have Jury Service soon and I am also on Job Seekers Allowance.

My Adviser told me I would have to sign off but she is not sure and to come in for a quick appointment to settle it all out as she wants to get the right information on what to do.

I read gov [dot] uk/jury-service/what-you-can-claim

and it says "Financial support and benefits (like Jobseeker’s Allowance) are unaffected for the first 8 weeks you’re on jury service."

Does that mean they pay forward 8 weeks of payments to me or how does it work exactly? I understand after 8 weeks I will get signed off and that's fine if I do, but during the 8 weeks, how are the payments processed if I'm not available to go in to sign since I'll be in Service?

I would like some information please so that I can tell my adviser because I don't want her to say that I have to sign off when I know I don't have too. Any information will be amazing, thank you.

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in.

Comments

• London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You do not get anything from jury service until you are discharged by the court. You then need to claim via the form they give you and get your payments a week or 10 days later.
    IMO {and I am no expert} because you are on jury service you SHOULD still be paid by JSA even though you are not able to sign during that time and you would not have any other money coming in.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    im thinking of signing up to do this.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    im thinking of signing up to do this.

To do what????
  • Rizalloo5
    Options
    London50 wrote: »
    You do not get anything from jury service until you are discharged by the court. You then need to claim via the form they give you and get your payments a week or 10 days later.
    IMO {and I am no expert} because you are on jury service you SHOULD still be paid by JSA even though you are not able to sign during that time and you would not have any other money coming in.

Yeah, I kind of figured they would have to as they do state my claim is unaffected for 8 weeks, but it's nice to know you think that too. I'll definitely be bringing this up as I don't want my claim closed and then have to rapid claim. Thank you for your reply.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You don't sign up to do jury service. People are selected at random to do it.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, 98% of Jury duty lasts 2 weeks so does not affect benefits.

You can request the daily lunch £ from the Usher, but other than that any claims for expenses are made at the end of the fortnight.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure