Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• Thank you so much for your responses - they are really very helpful.

About 6 weeks ago they did ask us to send in copies of our P60 (which we did, they lost, we sent again) they then wrote to us asking for details of 'additional' income, of which there weren't any. And they said they would be checking with HMRC to confirm the amounts.

Earlier this week, we then received another 'award type letter' from them which said they had done their calculations and still awarded the minimum amount.

I spoke to HMRC myself back in June when we originally did the application to get my income details so I know what they have and what I have on my P60 is the same as what HMRC have as me earning.

I think I'm at the point where I'm going to make an official complaint because this is really causing us a lot of stress.

The tables you have posted are really useful - thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
  • sammyw
    sammyw Posts: 448 Forumite
    We will be supporting 2 uni students next year. Is this taken into account with the student loan applications? I'm not sure how to work out how much they'll be able to get and how much we will need to top it up by. Oldest will be in 4th year and youngest will be in the 1st year, both living away from home outside London.
    Is there a table somewhere that takes this into account?
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    sammyw wrote: »
    We will be supporting 2 uni students next year. Is this taken into account with the student loan applications? I'm not sure how to work out how much they'll be able to get and how much we will need to top it up by. Oldest will be in 4th year and youngest will be in the 1st year, both living away from home outside London.

We will be in a similar situation. Eldest is doing a Masters - so is on a fixed amount but will still need help. Youngest will be in first year. So would be interested in any answers you may get.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sammyw wrote: »

Residual household income is reduced by £1,130 for each child (other than the student) who is wholly or mainly financially dependent upon the student’s parent or the parent’s partner whose income is being taken into account.

All the tables for academic year 2017/18 are in the following document:

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/7761/financial_memorandum_for_201718.pdf

Table A6 on page 10 ("Student studying outside London" section) is the one relevant to the student starting their first year in 2017/18.

Table B5 on page 22 ("Student studying outside London" section) is the one relevent to the student starting their 4th year in 2017/18.

The "Assessed contribution" column tells you how much you are expected to top up the student's finance by.
  • :eek:

Erudio have sent me a letter re. my four loans (dated 96POST-99ACA) stating that they have now reached maturity and the amount is due in full. I earn less than the threshold, have requested a new deferment form but have historically had all sorts of issues with deferment. How on earth am I expected to pay £4300 outright? Is this as serious as it has been made to read?

Your advice would be very much appreciated, thank you.
  • I have never had a letter about student loans and i graduated 10 years ago.
    Love is the answer :j
  • Hello - I am a parent about to apply for a loan for my son for 2017-18. I know the living allowance will be means tested but witll the tuition fees be granted a loan of 100% regardless of income?
    thanks
    Simon
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hello - I am a parent about to apply for a loan for my son for 2017-18. I know the living allowance will be means tested but witll the tuition fees be granted a loan of 100% regardless of income?
    thanks
    Simon

Yes if they are eligible for a tuition fee loan.
  • Thanks - what determines eligibility? We have always been UK citizens but my job took me out of the country for a few years, returning December 2015. Is there a chance we could be ruled out for residency reasons? Is there anything else that determines eligibility? (If there is a website link for this please let me know and I will check it out)
    thanks again
    regards
    Simon
  • Thanks - what determines eligibility? We have always been UK citizens but my job took me out of the country for a few years, returning December 2015. Is there a chance we could be ruled out for residency reasons? Is there anything else that determines eligibility? (If there is a website link for this please let me know and I will check it out)
    thanks again
    regards
    Simon

Yes they could fail on residency. You need to have lived in the U.K. For 3 years prior to the course start.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure