Cyclist collision at mini round about

Comments

• At the scene he said he was fine and didnt want an ambulance called
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    This advice is echoed in Rule 167 of the Highway Code: ‘Do not overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example, approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road’.

So basically don't ever overtake? Because in this country 90% of the time, overtaking causes conflict.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • particularly at a junction with no lights at dusk wearing black?
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    [a whole load of blame shifting]

Look, it doesn't matter what the cyclist did, or didn't, or should, or shouldn't, have done.

The fact is that you failed to see a cyclist until he actually hit you. Stop finding excuses and LEARN FROM IT.
  • cant you realise that by analysing the situation I am LEARNING FROM IT

The cyclist was wrong - he broke the law - he didn't pay attention and I'm the person who will suffer because a car is bigger than a bike

May happen to you one day, wonder what yoru response will be then
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cant you realise that by analysing the situation I am LEARNING FROM IT

The cyclist was wrong - he broke the law - he didn't pay attention and I'm the person who will suffer because a car is bigger than a bike

May happen to you one day, wonder what yoru response will be then

No, you're "learning" entirely the wrong thing. You're trying to find every reason you can to show that it was the cyclist's fault and that you were blameless. You're "learning" how to excuse yourself.

What you should be doing is thinking about and learning what you could do to avoid the next time regardless of what the other person is doing / not doing.

Take it from me - not from personal experience but I've known 2 or 3 it's happened to - when there's a dead and badly broken body in the road it really won't matter who was "in the wrong":
    • You will live with the guilt for a very long time indeed.
    • You will have nightmares about it that won't go away.
    • You likely will lose the freedom that driving gives because you won't be able to get behind the wheel.

If you don't suffer those effects if it ever happens then you're probably too psychopathic to be anywhere near a set of car keys.
  • I already feel those things, but fail to believe that my driving fell below the standards of being a competent motorist, there is culpability on the cyclists part
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    At the scene he said he was fine and didnt want an ambulance called

You're avoiding the issue. The RTA makes no mention of ambulance.

I'll bet he has an injury so you should report it.
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    I already feel those things, but fail to believe that my driving fell below the standards of being a competent motorist, there is culpability on the cyclists part

And on you.

Would you have passed your test had this happened then?
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    even though he did not have lights was dressed in black and had no reflectors?

No.

That's like saying "It's not my fault I raped her she was dressed proactively".

How the cyclist was dressed is not relevant, you are responsible for looking.

I ride a motorbike, drivers like you terrify me. It's your responsibility to see me, not my responsibility to dress like a Christmas tree.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure