I need peace of mind regarding JSA

I am now beginning to work commencing on the 18th October 2016. I was claiming JSA and forgot to tell them about my circumstances changing, would have told them today, but obviously the call centre is closed on weekends.

On my rota it says week commencing 16/10/16, should I be okay to tell them on Monday that my official start date is the 18th because am worried if I commit fraud.

Comments

• Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If your first day is the 18th then you'll be telling them before you start so that's perfectly fine.

The rota is just to say the date the week starts so everyone knows, it's not when you actually start work so it doesn't mean anything regarding JSA.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you very much! :)
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Personally I wouldn't tell them till after you have started, on the day or next the latest if possible.

WORST case scenario, they will ask you to pay something back, not an issue as you are just giving them back what they gave you.

That shouldnt happen in your case.

Fraud would be if you worked and continued signing on every two weeks (is it two weeks? I cant remember)
  • System
    Personally I wouldn't tell them till after you have started, on the day or next the latest if possible.

WORST case scenario, they will ask you to pay something back, not an issue as you are just giving them back what they gave you.

That shouldnt happen in your case.

Fraud would be if you worked and continued signing on every two weeks (is it two weeks? I cant remember)

Are you positive?

My mum (who's on holiday till next Tuesday) told me to wait like you said, but don't want to get in any trouble that is why I am making this thread to be absolutely sure that I won't get 'done'. The last time I got my money from a week and a half ago they never asked me whether I would like another appointment.

PS. I'm working 16 hours.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I waited till the day I started before telling them, just in case something went wrong and my start date was delayed. It wasn't a problem.
    Congratulations on the job, by the way.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • System
    edited 15 October 2016 at 7:37PM
    elsien wrote: »
    I waited till the day I started before telling them, just in case something went wrong and my start date was delayed. It wasn't a problem.
    Congratulations on the job, by the way.

So did you tell them the day after you first officially started your role in a job?

I guess I am entitled to live off money from the Jobcentre since I don't get paid in the first week of the job anyway?

Cheers! :)
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Call the JobCentre on the day you start work, not before. As others have said, it's possible (hopefully not likely) that the job could fall through. You won't get into any trouble for doing that.
    They will close your JSA from that date and any part payment due will be released. If you call them on the Monday payment should be in your bank by Thursday.
  • System
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Call the JobCentre on the day you start work, not before. As others have said, it's possible (hopefully not likely) that the job could fall through. You won't get into any trouble for doing that.
    They will close your JSA from that date and any part payment due will be released. If you call them on the Monday payment should be in your bank by Thursday.

Thanks, so call them on the 18th? What should I say to the Jobcentre?
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you can call on the morning of the 18th, that's fine. Just tell them you're starting work that day and wish to stop claiming.

Telling them the day before is fine though. You tell them when you're starting so even if it's a few days before you can claim up until the start date.

I wouldn't tell them after as it'll be hassle if they want payment back.

If it fell through you'd just do a rapid reclaim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure