Credit file repair

Options
Hi,

Would anyone know if it is possible to build my credit rating in 4 months?

Looking at a new build house which will be released in December and would need to get an joint agreement in principle.
My partner has no debt or loans (good rating) and we both have a sizeable deposit (30%)

I have no defaults (last was 4yrs ago) and credit card and loan payments are up to date.
I do frequently go into my agreed overdraft but my wage clears that every month, I am close to my limit on my credit card but focus is to clear that by December.
My credit file says that I have made too many applications in a short period of time and credit utilisation is high.

So if I stop spending, clear credit card and stop applying for credit - will my file improve in time?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stay out of your overdraft.
    Once you've cleared your card, use it regularly and clear in full each month.
    Ignore the scores and ratings. They don't exist.

Everything else will come down to the detail, so if you thing his circumstances are patchy, use a broker.
  • sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Stop spending - Lenders will want to check your spending habits. If you spend £300 a month, every month, just because you say you wont spend it.... you will and they know you will! They will take an average over the last three months, so live well below your means!

Clear credit card - How much are we talking? Two thresholds to get below. 50% and 30% credit utilisation. You do not normally need to clear a credit card to get a mortgage. However no point in paying debt interest.

Stop Applying for credit. Yes stop. You said it yourself. Stop applying!!!

In the meantime, make sure you are on the electoral roll.
  • Timmyt82
    Options
    Thanks, most spare cash will go towards clearing the debts I have - card has £1200 on it and overdraft £1500 so will try to clear both or at least reduce below 50%.

Would you think my chances of acceptance will increase if take advice and do the above?

Thanks in advance.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Impossible to say - far too many variables in a mortgage application (income, outgoings, history, affordability, valuation and so on).

But better than if you staying your overdraft and keep maxing out your card.
  • sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Assuming your overdraft is the most expensive debt, and that people use overdrafts when they have no money, paying the overdraft is more important.

Who is the overdraft with? How much is it?
  • Timmyt82
    Options
    Thanks, it!!!8217;s my current account where my wages are paid into and the overdraft is £1500. Will have to split payments.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can you clear the overdraft from your deposit and then pay it back?
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Assuming your living in your overdraft? How can you clear that and the card at the same time. You will have clear the overdraft and then not spend for a month to have a positive bank balance. Then the next month save that up and then the next you can use that to pay off the card so that would be about 4 months. I would say you would need a possitive balance to ensure your out of your overdraft.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts