TSB Have Suspended Account

Options

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She was of the opinion that it was her money and she could do with it what she wished, which is true. Obviously the bank does not agree with that sentiment though.

See post 36

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5815754&page=2

The bank explained the steps it had taken, including notifying the police. But it said it could not prevent customers from withdrawing their own money, particularly where, as in this case, the customer had insisted she knew what she was doing.

In the end, your mother, providing she is acting within the law, can do as she wishes with her own money.

However, no bank is compelled to offer her an account or continue offer an account or to facilitate a transfer that they feel may open them to compensation claims etc.
    maybe you will want to make a transaction in your older age in full knowledge of what you are doing, only to be told NO!!! how will you feel?

There are other ways of making transfers than through a bank and one of these would need to be employed if the banks refuse?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would just like to ask one more question who initiated the sale of the original investment?
    80 year old tend to leave things be especially if they have made a bit on their original investment.
    So did the 'friend' from Puerto Rico ask for the money before or after the sale??
  • woolyG_2
    woolyG_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I would just like to ask one more question who initiated the sale of the original investment?
    80 year old tend to leave things be especially if they have made a bit on their original investment.
    So did the 'friend' from Puerto Rico ask for the money before or after the sale??

My mum initiated the sale of her original investment, he never asked for the money it was offered to him by my mum.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a 73 year old TSB customer, with no idea what my mental and physical state will be like by 80: I am so glad to be a TSB customer. Any bank that takes such steps to protect possibly vulnerable customers, has to be a better banking choice than one which would ignore a possibly fraudulent situation.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    I think that nowadays banks just cannot win. Wherever they draw the line, someone!!!8217;s going to be upset, and as we see by the tone of posts on here, they will possibly be furious.

I think that banks need to start sharing details of those furious customers, and just freezing them out of the banking system when their fury is completely misplaced. Pubs already have a system of working together to weed out the people that they do not want to serve, it is high time banks did the same.

Don!!!8217;t like the service, go back to getting paid in cash, and needing to drive in person to pay every bill.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This seems very strange - is there any reason why your mother has suddenly decided to cash in her investment and offer a friend in Puerto Rico an unsolicited loan?
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mystic Rob:

OP WoolyG doesn't post satisfactory conclusion to thread
    OP WoolyG posts back in 3 years new thread "How do I go about suing someone in Puerto Rico and TSB for stealing mum's money"
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    Mystic Rob:

OP WoolyG doesn't post satisfactory conclusion to thread
    OP WoolyG posts back in 3 years new thread "How do I go about suing someone in Puerto Rico and TSB for stealing mum's money"

Or thread titled 'how friend in Puerto Rico missed opportunity of lifetime to buy a property or set-up a business.'
    Thank you TSB ;)
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    Or thread titled 'how friend in Puerto Rico missed opportunity of lifetime to buy a property or set-up a business.'
    Thank you TSB ;)

So, person in Puerto Rico couldn't afford to finance opportunity of a lifetime so had to fleece 80 year old, living over 4000 miles away of 75k ?

TSB are 100% correct to do what they have done in this case, if you can't see this, there's something wrong with you.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    woolyG wrote: »
    I think what she meant was she felt as though she was being interrogated by the staff, but I do realise there is a fine line between protecting the customer and infringing on their rights. I personally believe they crossed the line. I don't suppose it helped the matter that the branch staff had her trying to get her point across to somebody in a foreign call centre and she is hard of hearing as it is. I am sure you can imagine even for the best of us how stressful that can be. never mind being bombarded with questions from everywhere

Which of these centres is 'foreign'?
    We’ve got key operations centres in Gloucester, Edinburgh, Sheldon, Sunderland, Swansea and Bristol

Scotland isn't an Independent country yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure