The "Save 12k in 2018" Thread!

Options

Comments

• luckofthe_irish
    Options
    tara747 wrote: »
    Thank you! And congrats to you too - I see you've managed to become debt-free AND save £6k :beer: Focus on that. That's amazing. You have achieved a lot!

Everyone here is doing well, whether we're saving £5 a month or £5k. Just keep going, you'll get there :D

Thank you so much for this lovely response. So true, whatever amount is being saved is a fab achievement.

I have spent my lunch today researching ways to supplement my income whilst at home. Going to try and prioritise that coming up to the new year! Maybe I could join a thread like this next year to try and increase my savings... I can't face waiting another 5 years to double my deposit.

I was thinking as well, what do people thing of saving for only one thing? At the moment I am saving for a house deposit but have no emergency fund as I simply cannot afford to save for both. Do people think this strategy is detrimental?

Thanks!
    Trying to make my way on my MSE adventure.. Debt free since June 2018:j

December GC £32.58/£130
    November GC £101.14/£135 :: another month under budget! :: another m
    Emergency Fund £104.77/£1000:(
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    Thank you so much for this lovely response. So true, whatever amount is being saved is a fab achievement.

I have spent my lunch today researching ways to supplement my income whilst at home. Going to try and prioritise that coming up to the new year! Maybe I could join a thread like this next year to try and increase my savings... I can't face waiting another 5 years to double my deposit.

I was thinking as well, what do people thing of saving for only one thing? At the moment I am saving for a house deposit but have no emergency fund as I simply cannot afford to save for both. Do people think this strategy is detrimental?

Thanks!

I would say, what happens when you move into your new house, having spent all your money on buying it, and the boiler breaks? And it's January? Or a window breaks, or the roof leaks, or...

I don't think you can have a house without an emergency fund. As much as it sets you back now, it will set you back more and send you into debt later if you don't!
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    At the moment I am saving for a house deposit but have no emergency fund as I simply cannot afford to save for both. Do people think this strategy is detrimental?
    It depends. The point of an emergency fund is to avoid being in a situation where you get an unexpected expense that you just can't pay, so you borrow the money (e.g. on a credit card), then can't pay that either. That's the start of a downward spiral.

Generally the less free cash you have each month, the more urgent the emergency fund is - someone with plenty of free cash arguably doesn't need an emergency fund at all, as there are few expenses that they couldn't put on a credit card and then repay in full the next month (or within a few months, with minimal interest), whereas someone who has to count the pennies to get through every month could be sunk by an unexpected bill of a few hundred pounds, or less.

As long as your house deposit could double as an emergency fund if it had to (i.e. it's not all locked away in long-term, no-access accounts, and you could get at some of it if the need arose) then you're probably ok. It would be frustrating to have to dig in to those hard-earned savings - none of us want to touch our emergency funds really :) - it's much better than the alternative.
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options

Thanks!

I use my Tilly-Tidies for my emergency fund while scheduling a regular savings amount that goes into actual savings in the ISA and/or over-paying the mortgage. When my emergency fund got to £10k, I let it top up so that I am budgeting ahead for one or two big bills I get in March and December, and then that money is ready and waiting, when the bills come in.

The EF may also be deployed when a car or household appliance fails, or (as this month) I forget something (heating oil delivery today).
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • luckofthe_irish
    Options
    I would say, what happens when you move into your new house, having spent all your money on buying it, and the boiler breaks? And it's January? Or a window breaks, or the roof leaks, or...

I don't think you can have a house without an emergency fund. As much as it sets you back now, it will set you back more and send you into debt later if you don't!
    Lomcevak wrote: »
    It depends. The point of an emergency fund is to avoid being in a situation where you get an unexpected expense that you just can't pay, so you borrow the money (e.g. on a credit card), then can't pay that either. That's the start of a downward spiral.

Generally the less free cash you have each month, the more urgent the emergency fund is - someone with plenty of free cash arguably doesn't need an emergency fund at all, as there are few expenses that they couldn't put on a credit card and then repay in full the next month (or within a few months, with minimal interest), whereas someone who has to count the pennies to get through every month could be sunk by an unexpected bill of a few hundred pounds, or less.

As long as your house deposit could double as an emergency fund if it had to (i.e. it's not all locked away in long-term, no-access accounts, and you could get at some of it if the need arose) then you're probably ok. It would be frustrating to have to dig in to those hard-earned savings - none of us want to touch our emergency funds really :) - it's much better than the alternative.
    I use my Tilly-Tidies for my emergency fund while scheduling a regular savings amount that goes into actual savings in the ISA and/or over-paying the mortgage. When my emergency fund got to £10k, I let it top up so that I am budgeting ahead for one or two big bills I get in March and December, and then that money is ready and waiting, when the bills come in.

The EF may also be deployed when a car or household appliance fails, or (as this month) I forget something (heating oil delivery today).

Thank you so much for all your kind responses - as a result you can see I have added a EF to my signature! Not a brilliant start but it is something:rotfl:!

I do set aside money for use in a 'emergency' each month which is why I have that £15 already - this issue is I have to dip into it every month to cover additional costs like overspending on groceries, going out, unexpected costs etc.

I am debt free but I am always living pay check to pay check with the risk of putting unexpected expenses on my credit card. For example, I have just found out I need to buy tickets to my upcoming graduation next week which adds up to £100.. which I don't have. So it looks like I will be debt free no more. I guess that is the use of an emergency fund!

Thanks again for all your support, sorry to hijack the thread with my non-saving ways!

December GC £32.58/£130
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Thanks!
    Thank you so much for all your kind responses - as a result you can see I have added a EF to my signature! Not a brilliant start but it is something:rotfl:!

I do set aside money for use in a 'emergency' each month which is why I have that £15 already - this issue is I have to dip into it every month to cover additional costs like overspending on groceries, going out, unexpected costs etc.

I am debt free but I am always living pay check to pay check with the risk of putting unexpected expenses on my credit card. For example, I have just found out I need to buy tickets to my upcoming graduation next week which adds up to £100.. which I don't have. So it looks like I will be debt free no more. I guess that is the use of an emergency fund!

Thanks again for all your support, sorry to hijack the thread with my non-saving ways!

I see you've replied already, but I just thought I'd chip in anyway! Dave Ramsey says that you should have an EF before anything else. And keep it topped up. If you dip into it, you should replace the money you 'borrowed'.

Well done on starting your EF :T

If you haven't heard of DR, check him out. Here's a link to get you started. Happy reading :D

https://www.daveramsey.com/baby-steps
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • luckofthe_irish
    Options
    tara747 wrote: »
    I see you've replied already, but I just thought I'd chip in anyway! Dave Ramsey says that you should have an EF before anything else. And keep it topped up. If you dip into it, you should replace the money you 'borrowed'.

Well done on starting your EF :T

If you haven't heard of DR, check him out. Here's a link to get you started. Happy reading :D

https://www.daveramsey.com/baby-steps

Thank you - I've heard of his name in passing when listening to some finance podcasts but never looked into him more! I will check this out today. Yes, stop dipping into emergency fund will be my new goal for next year - not having enough money to eat out is NOT an emergency!! :rotfl:

December GC £32.58/£130
  • Cottage_Economy
    Cottage_Economy Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 September 2018 at 11:13AM
    Options
    Definitely prioritise an emergency fund first.

We had a few hiccups when buying our current home with delays causing additional costs of over £600 in total. The emergency fund paid for it.

Just as well because our lender unexpectedly requested print outs showing zero balances for our credit cards and no overdrafts the day before it wired the mortgage money to our solicitor for completion. If we had stuck the money on a credit card we would have had to run around like headless chickens at the 11th hour trying to borrow money from friends or family to pay them off.

As we've gone along we've added to this account and it would now pay our mortgage for four months if I was made redundant.
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dura wrote: »
    Can you sign me up please?
    Your challenger number is 148 :) what do you want your target to be?
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry that this has taken me so long :o spreadsheet is now updated!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport