CIFAS category 6 marker please help!!!

Comments

• KjDot
    KjDot Posts: 13 Forumite
    Update: I have contacted Cifas and I!!!8217;ve sent my letter for them to send it back with all the information held upon my name. Could you recommend a building society for me please.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 July 2018 at 12:34PM
    KjDot wrote: »
    Update: I have contacted Cifas and I!!!8217;ve sent my letter for them to send it back with all the information held upon my name. Could you recommend a building society for me please.

Pick 1 that's local so if you are asked to go into store it's not much hassle.

Whether your accepted not sure if anyone can say.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    First time poster - welcome to MSE.
    I promise to be nice but IMO I doubt whether this is a true story as written.
    Prove to us that this is not made up - scan a photo of one of the letters (masking all private information of course).

I don't believe you can have a CIFAS marker before the age of 18.

I believe in exceptional circumstances, the bank might still be able to put the customer on the CIFAS register, as they are in fact legally compelled to do this or they are also breaking the law and allowing money laundering to continue through other banking services, as the customer would be able to open an account elsewhere, which a CIFAS flag will essentially stop.

Unless there is a technicality which strictly prohibits those under the age of 18 from being on the CIFAS register, I believe it may certainly be possible and once they come of age, it should show on their credit file. Not the most pleasant of things to have on your CRA records at 18...

How their bank account could be used for money laundering is beyond me. Unless someone had the PIN to that debit card, they still wouldn't successfully withdraw from a cash machine. The only other alternative is in branch, in which the "person" would need legible ID to prove they are the account holder, the debit card alone wouldn't satisfy security for this very reason.

I am sorry, but if your situation is genuinely real OP, I am afraid you won't have much appealing this at all. The bank has a legal obligation to prevent, detect and report illegitimate use of the network - by not reporting the account as compromised and leaving this activity to continue until caught, you essentially "allowed" it to happen and are therefore the liable party. Most cases are actually passed to the National Crime Agency by the bank, so if someone else did do this without your knowledge, perhaps the police may be interested to find out who it was.

Overall, luckily this has happened at the age of 16, as it will expire by age 22, although nevertheless it isn't a great start to your financial life. Even an 18 year old with a clean history struggles to obtain a decent credit offer, you will find it next to impossible until you are removed from the CIFAS register. You may be able to obtain a basic bank account, offered to those who are not eligible for mainstream, but acceptance is at the sole discretion of the banks.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    try a Yorkshire Building Society (not bank) cashcard account - open it online - it has a sort code and account no so you can pay in money, salary etc in, and comes with a card you can use to withdraw money at ATMs. No Direct debits etc allowed of course.
  • KjDot
    I see. Obviously I am still going to continue to talk to the bank about it when the Cifas report comes. Will I be unable to get a job, and go to uni as I am supposed to be going to uni in 2 years time. Also will this restrict me from getting a mortgage? All of this has really affected me, I have lost sleep because of this however, I can understand that I left it too long as I was focused on my education.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 17 July 2018 at 4:21PM
    KjDot wrote: »
    I see. Obviously I am still going to continue to talk to the bank about it when the Cifas report comes. Will I be unable to get a job, and go to uni as I am supposed to be going to uni in 2 years time. Also will this restrict me from getting a mortgage? All of this has really affected me, I have lost sleep because of this however, I can understand that I left it too long as I was focused on my education.

1. CIFAS will not affect employment in general, unless a credit / fraud check is performed, which can be the case in some roles, particularly those with financial responsibility.

2. CIFAS will not affect university in general, although I cannot confirm whether this would affect a student loan application, however I can almost guarantee you will not be eligible for a student bank overdraft, which most graduates use these days because of no charge offers.

3. CIFAS will certainly prevent you obtaining a mortgage, including most credit products e.g credit cards; loans etc. until it expires in 2024. This is because lenders will usually never extend credit to someone who is registered on a fraud database, the only exception is protective registration which is what victims of fraud (not committing it, in your case) are placed on and doesn't stop them obtaining credit, just more extensive checks.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it, learn from your mistake and keep a watchful eye on your finances in the future to avoid this happening again.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • KjDot
    Has this affected my credit score or is my credit score still okay but there is a marker on my name?
  • KjDot
    Will I be able to drive by my birthday next year?
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    There is no credit score, that is just a bit of fun offered by the credit reference companies.

Credit history is what you have to maintain by being responsible, not taking out too much credit that you drown in debt, miss payments which causes defaults and starts to limit who will advance you money ie loan/mortgage or credit ie credit card.

You will probably struggle to get insurance at a reasonable price (1) due to your age (2) not being able to take out a credit agreement until 18yrs old (3) due to the marker on your credit history.

It wont stop you getting a provisional or learning to drive or buy a car, unless you need credit (loan) or finance which isnt available to anyone under 18.

Stop thinking about how it will stop you as you cant change anything at the moment. Wait to see what response you get to your request for info THEN come and ask for guidance.

In the interim look over the mortgage and debt free wana be boards to see what you face. Also use the advance search.

Employment wise if you are looking to qualify or work in finance that probably wont happen due to the marker, legal career may be ruled out at this stage too as with finance/legal careers (and others) you have to fill a form out to confirm you are a "fit and proper person" which atm and for 6 years you cant.

Not saying this to freak you out, but to give you the heads up as you havent said what you are going to uni to study.

Main thing is to remember to keep breathing!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    First time poster - welcome to MSE.
    I promise to be nice but IMO I doubt whether this is a true story as written.
    Prove to us that this is not made up - scan a photo of one of the letters (masking all private information of course).

I don't believe you can have a CIFAS marker before the age of 18.

Why do you believe this?

I don't see why there would be an age restriction for CIFAS. Are you going by the name? Because although the C does stand for credit they've been checking applications that aren't for credit for years now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure