Cutting Down Alcohol Thread

Options

Comments

• wintersunshine
    wintersunshine Posts: 471 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2018 at 8:04AM
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Good luck and please post every day. It works.

I've experienced alcohol withdrawal symptoms over the last few days according to Dr Google - sleep problems, slight heart palpatations, even anxiety : no sweats though! I,ve been drinking about 5 to 7 units every night for about 4 years - I have had the odd stretches of AFDs so averagely I've been drinking about 5 nights each week. Too much.

....I think this alone will frighten me into keeping going!

Once upon a time my body never needed alcohol - I wanna be living that life again.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,313 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all, 10/21 for me today please. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • cathybird
    Options
    Added sugar, CathyBird. I'm still addicted to sugar and I know it - if I buy myself a box of Malte$ers as a treet I can't stop eating them until the box is empty. And the same with a T3rry's choc orange - one session and it's gone. So for me, fruit is fine - I'm never tempted to eat a whole bag of apples! - but added sugar is absolutely not. No sugar on strawberries, no honey, nothing. And yesterday I decided that carbs aren't helping me one bit, so they're off the menu until this weight is gone.

Having said that, I'm at this for a few events over the course of 10 days and it's really easy to get chatting with lovely people coming out of a talk, which almost always ends up with going to tea/coffee and cake. I've been taking my own food when I'm there all day but yesterday OH joined me for two talks in the evening and we had dinner in between. I was very good and took the batter off the fish but the chips were fab, as was the sticky toffee pudding, and I think I may have had half a slice of chocolate cake :whistle: with him when he arrived in the afternoon as well. Not one of my better days and I'm not going to weigh myself until a few days after the festival is over.

I am, however, going to be carb and sugar-free until this spare tyre is gone because even losing a kilo I can feel the difference and it feels, okay felt, fab. It's only for a few weeks because if I don't over-indulge with boxes of chocolates or a handful of Twinks every single day, my weight doesn't fluctuate that much.

I have a 5kg bag of sugar in the store cupboard for when I make jam, marmalade and chutneys. It's really, really heavy when I pick it up and that's the excess me that I'm dragging around all the time. Pointless. It's got to go.

While I was out drinking with my mate the other night and we were both trollied she informed me drunkenly that I really should lose 10kg :rotfl::rotfl: so that's good to know, I would have said 5kg myself as I'm not that chunky (honest), and to be fair she was talking about herself but just kindly including me in on it ha ha, but I've got a sweet tooth I struggle to deal with, and so am trying to severely minimise sugar myself. Don't know if I should mention this but M*nt*zum*'s do chocolate with no added sugar of any kind (no artificial sweeteners either, 100% chocolate), which I am finding really helps because it has that chocolate thing going on but is very dense and I can't eat that much of it. I'd like to make that my preferred chocolate on a permanent basis, in fact. I'd also like to be fairly low-carb as a general principle but it is tricky - happy to forgo rice and pasta, and indeed other grains, but the thought of never eating bread or potatoes I just find mildly depressing. I might just try to minimise those things, rather than give them up altogether.

The thing is last I looked the thinnest and longest-lived people on earth, statistically speaking, were the Japanese and they eat quite a bit of white rice - not as much as is widely assumed but carbs do figure in their diet. Also the Scandinavians don't seem to have an obesity problem and they eat loads of bread (mostly rye, it has to be said) and also potatoes. So that makes me wonder how low you really need to go with carbs, just as a matter of general principle. Anyway, just thinking aloud here. :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cathybird wrote: »

Hey welcome back Maman - I was missing you! I nearly posted to say so yesterday. :wave: :)

Thanks for that cathy.:)

July isn't going well so far:(. I managed to get an AFD on Monday but decided to have a drink watching :footie: last night and tonight is going to be more of the same. ;) Next week I'll be 100% back to taking it seriously though. Promise.:)

I need to join in with those of you losing a few lbs. too as I have the usual post holiday weight gain to deal with:(. Cutting the alcohol helps a bit but it's the food too. I don't have a problem with sugar, hardly ever have any other than occasional honey in cooking or a squirt of syrup on porage but as it isn't porage weather I'm not too worried about that. What works for me is to have meals piled high with veg to edge out the carbs. I don't cut them out completely just try for once a day and a small amount.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with carbs if you have an active enough lifestyle. It's when your diet it 80% carbs and your idea of exercise is running to the car when it's raining - then you're in trouble!! (like me lol)

I folded last night. Tried a pink gin for the first time, which was bought with the intention of being a treat last weekend. Didn't really like it and only had the 1, but it has ended my run of AFDs.

So still on 10/28 today

Thanks Baileys :)
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• cathybird
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    What works for me is to have meals piled high with veg to edge out the carbs. I don't cut them out completely just try for once a day and a small amount.

Maman, that sounds eminently sane. I know if I try to give up bread/potatoes altogether it just doesn't work.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with carbs if you have an active enough lifestyle. It's when your diet it 80% carbs and your idea of exercise is running to the car when it's raining - then you're in trouble!!

Fatrab, ha ha :rotfl:
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I agree about carbs, FatRab and Maman, they're fine in moderation. But I can't do moderation! Once I've shifted this 5kgs I'll re-evaluate but I'm sick to death of dragging it around and I genuinely don't overeat that much, it's just that I did about ten years ago (severe stress) and have never shifted it since. Once it's gone I'll be able to eat fairly normally again and that'll include potatoes, chips, Twinks hobnobs, pasta and rice.

Well done WinterSunshine. That sounds about right regarding the sleep thing. I slept for England for a few weeks when I gave up and realised I had been sleeping badly for 10 years, with hindsight. OH slept badly for 20 years after his mother died and only when he cut down to a quarter of the amount he used to drink after I gave up did he realise the miracle was just due to alcohol disturbing his sleep.

Maman, I seem to remember you had a bit of a tricky time last year after your holiday as well. Hang on in there - you can do this.

cathybird wrote: »
    While I was out drinking with my mate the other night and we were both trollied she informed me drunkenly that I really should lose 10kg :rotfl::rotfl: so that's good to know, I would have said 5kg myself as I'm not that chunky (honest), and to be fair she was talking about herself but just kindly including me in on it ha ha, but I've got a sweet tooth I struggle to deal with, and so am trying to severely minimise sugar myself. Don't know if I should mention this but M*nt*zum*'s do chocolate with no added sugar of any kind (no artificial sweeteners either, 100% chocolate), which I am finding really helps because it has that chocolate thing going on but is very dense and I can't eat that much of it. I'd like to make that my preferred chocolate on a permanent basis, in fact. I'd also like to be fairly low-carb as a general principle but it is tricky - happy to forgo rice and pasta, and indeed other grains, but the thought of never eating bread or potatoes I just find mildly depressing. I might just try to minimise those things, rather than give them up altogether.

The thing is last I looked the thinnest and longest-lived people on earth, statistically speaking, were the Japanese and they eat quite a bit of white rice - not as much as is widely assumed but carbs do figure in their diet. Also the Scandinavians don't seem to have an obesity problem and they eat loads of bread (mostly rye, it has to be said) and also potatoes. So that makes me wonder how low you really need to go with carbs, just as a matter of general principle. Anyway, just thinking aloud here. :)

I love this post! 5 kgs is enough - a realistic decent aim is no more than 10% of one's bodyweight which in my case would be about 6.5 kgs but I prefer the figure 5 so that's what it's going to be. You guys must have been trollied for her to be able to say you needed to lose 10 kgs and not get decked!

11/31 please, Baileys.
    Better is good enough.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're right HB, it took me months to get rid of last year's holiday gain. This year I was a bit more careful with bread when I was away so I'm hoping it won't be such an uphill struggle.:)

Definitely not having a drink today. :)

2/10 AFDs please Baileys.
  • beverley1471
    Options
    I am posting here as I would like to stop drinking, mainly white wine in the evenings. I drink 3 possibly 4 evenings a week, but this has crept up until I now drink a whole bottle of wine which is to much. Both my parents are alcoholics, so I am aware this increases my risk of problems.

I didnt ever drink in the house until my first husband died, then I started to have the odd glass at home to relax me, and its crept up to what I drink now, which cannot get any worse. My new partner doesnt help, as he encourages me to have a glass at times even though he doesnt drink any alcohol himself, I think he sees it as a treat and doing something nice for me, which I have asked him to stop.

I have also put on nearly two stones in weight, which I also want to loose and get back in shape. I am thinking about just aiming for a month to begin with, so it seems manageable and then increasing the length of time when I get to a month.

So here is day one of alcohol free me, I think the weekend is going to be the hardest to not drink on. I don!!!8217;t have a sweet tooth, so I hope that helps me to avoid sugar.
  • cathybird
    Options
    I agree about carbs, FatRab and Maman, they're fine in moderation. But I can't do moderation! Once I've shifted this 5kgs I'll re-evaluate but I'm sick to death of dragging it around and I genuinely don't overeat that much, it's just that I did about ten years ago (severe stress) and have never shifted it since. Once it's gone I'll be able to eat fairly normally again and that'll include potatoes, chips, Twinks hobnobs, pasta and rice.

I love this post! 5 kgs is enough - a realistic decent aim is no more than 10% of one's bodyweight which in my case would be about 6.5 kgs but I prefer the figure 5 so that's what it's going to be. You guys must have been trollied for her to be able to say you needed to lose 10 kgs and not get decked!

Ha ha Honey Bear, I'm glad you liked my post, and yes we were very very jolly, to say the least :) I sort of don't quite mind even sober tho as she's (more or less) right and also it was about us both. I think I'm going to do what you're doing to shift the extra pounds - restrict carbs (not going to cut them completely) and go more or less sugar-free (apart from the odd bit of free cake at work that is, not that I just ate that today at all :whistle:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport