Options
    Thanks for the reply.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    danrv wrote: »
    20180705_110446_zpsdhpboxsn.jpg

The meter alternates between low/normal/total. Theres also a red light that flashes occasionally.
    Im assuming the brass arrow on the mechanical timer should indicate current time. If so its several hours out.

Thanks for the photo.

The digital bit will have its peak/off-peak rate changes controlled by radio signal. However, the time that the heating charges up may still be controlled separately by the mechanical side. If that is the case, there's the chance it would not be synchronised with the cheap rate, with the clocking being wrong as you identified. Hopefully an electrician or the supplier can confirm the situation with that if no-one here knows for sure.

The rate that you are actually being billed for is indicated by the Rate 1 / 2 indication on the left side of the digital display. So you could note when that changes to get the changeover times.

Your supplier may suggest you move to a smart meter. Views vary widely on whether this is a good idea, so you could check threads here on that.
  • danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks, that gives me a bit more idea.
    Hope to get the charging times back in sync with help from Eon.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do you really want the charging times back in sync. It may be to your advantage to leave it alone.

You may find that the off-peak period is a bit more convenient allowing you to do your washing, drying and other stuff on cheaper leccy.

How far out is it
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • danrv
    Options
    Good point. About 8 1/4 hrs. At 11.45am, timer shows 3.30am.
    Cheap rate would be more useful during daytime.
  • coffeehound
    Options
    Danrv, have you been able to check when the digital display switches between rate 1 / rate 2?
  • danrv
    Options
    Danrv, have you been able to check when the digital display switches between rate 1 / rate 2?

Rate 2 is flashing so maybe that means that is the current rate. Not sure how I can tell when it switches though.
  • danrv
    edited 10 July 2018 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Well, rate 1 is now flashing at 11.45am, 24hrs later so doesn't look like this shows what rate is currently being used.
    No way of telling when the meter switches so will have to go with Eon's stated times.

As I see it, I have uncertain day/night rate times, a mechanical timer which is not set at the correct time and an old heating system that I can't update.
    I'll contact Eon representative as per message.
  • coffeehound
    Options
    Hmm, so the meter says that Rate 1 is low and it's on at 11:45? That is odd, even for Economy 10 times. Does the rate 1 and 2 agree with low/high on the billing? Are you certain it is on E10 by the way?

Were it me, I'd confirm the exact changeover times first, though appreciate that depends on being around at the right time. Perhaps a laptop with the webcam watching it for 24 hours? Anyway, if not, hopefully the supplier or an electrician can confirm the situation.
  • danrv
    edited 9 July 2018 at 4:16PM
    Options
    Hmm, so the meter says that Rate 1 is low and it's on at 11:45? That is odd, even for Economy 10 times. Does the rate 1 and 2 agree with low/high on the billing? Are you certain it is on E10 by the way?

Haven't been here long so no full bill yet.
    Eon said my electricity is Economy 10 which does make sense with my heating system.
    The email states that cheap rate is 10pm-8am GMT spread over three blocks.
    A bit confused, I asked for clarification and after a while they got back and confirmed it was 10.00pm - 8.00am.
    Ideally I'd like my E10 hours similar to how the oil fired system timer was set up in my previous house.
    7.00am - 10am
    3pm - 10pm
    Then electric rads on cheap rate plus hot water, washing, oven etc...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure