CIFAS category 6 marker please help!!!

Please help me I believe I have a cifas category 6 marker. I’m 16 and I am not an active card user. Around the end of March this year I lost my card and the temporary phone I was using (which had all my details in it). I did not have any money on it and since I had exams coming up I decided to focus on my grades and revising. Then around mid June I got a letter saying that Lloyd’s are giving me 60 days as they are closing my account. From this my Halifax account also closed (which was my savings account),I then I opened a NatWest and after about 2/3 weeks o got a letter saying that the account will close. On closure they sent me a letter telling me to do a SAR on Cifas but as I am 16 I cannot do it, but NatWest and Halifax both hinted at me that I had a cat 6 on my record. Straight away I check the online banking of my Lloyd’s and between April and May somebody was moving large amounts of money on my card and withdrawing it and I wasn’t notified once. Now I have a permanent phone, my exams just finished and I cancelled the card that I lost but can somebody help me on what I do from here please. I really don’t understand what is happening.

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    First time poster - welcome to MSE.
    I promise to be nice but IMO I doubt whether this is a true story as written.
    Prove to us that this is not made up - scan a photo of one of the letters (masking all private information of course).

I don't believe you can have a CIFAS marker before the age of 18.
  • Armorica
    Armorica Posts: 866
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 July 2018 at 11:12PM
    Ouch.

Did you report the card lost at the time? (You really should have done, but it sounds like you didn't) Do you have any evidence that you last your card? (I suspect not either - and why was your phone temporary?)

You need a more detailed conversation with Lloyds. That may be a problem as they may consider you a fraudster, or a money mule at best.

Your card shouldn't be enough for significant amounts to move through your accounts.

Did you have your pin number written down/kept with the card/stored in your phone?

You need to tell Lloyds that you lost your card and it wasn't you making those transactions. Ask if there was a change of address or phone details on the account - and how those changes were authorised.

Do you have any dubious friends/family that might have done this? (And of course, even to yourself, is the reality that you let someone else use your account but think acknowledging this would be a bad thing?)

Why do you think you can't make SAR? (https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/2014223/subject-access-code-of-practice.pdf page 16 of the attached implies you can) although I imagine you can't meet their ID requirements (more research needed to see if they can actually refuse a SAR tho...)

case 139/4, 139/5 and 139/6 is also relevant http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/139/139-complaints-involving-under-25s.html

139/6 implies that cifas under 18 is possible (but not explicit)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Cancelling the card and getting the sim card cancelled wouldnt have impacted on your revision.
  • KjDot
    KjDot Posts: 13 Forumite
    Yes I had my PIN number stored on my phone... the phone was temporary because my phone broke I!!!8217;m March and when I asked my parents for a new one, they said they!!!8217;ll get me one after my exams but I should work hard for it which is why I focused on it so it would pay off.

Despite the fact the phone was temporary When I set it up with my email it had all my notes on it including my banking details. No I!!!8217;m 100% that no family or friends had access to my account.
  • Armorica
    Forumite
    And no phone unlock PIN or biometric id set on your phone?

Never store your card PIN on your phone...your best bet is talking to Lloyds, then CIFAS then FOS. There are plenty of things Lloyds won't talk to you about, so you may need an independent third party like FOS who they will share information with.
  • KjDot
    How do I talk to Cifas and FOS please I am really trying to get all of this sorted this week despite the fact I know absolutely almost nothing about it, like I only found out about Cifas recently
  • Armorica
    Forumite
    It won't get sorted out this week - it's not a quick process.

Start with Lloyds and try to find out a bit more about what happened and how the withdrawals were paid (all via cash withdrawals or via online transfer and if there were changes to e.g. addresses and mobile details). Whatever happens there isn't much hope as by not reporting your card or phone lost, let someone else manage your account and impersonate you.

The contact CIFAS
    https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request
    You need a SAR. You'll however probably have to ring them as I imagine you don't meet the ID requirements so call on 0330 100 0180 after having read the SAR page and the form. https://www.cifas.org.uk/secure/contentPORT/uploads/documents/Forms/External-Subject%20Access%20Request%20form.pdf and ask what proof of identity they'll accept given you are 16 and have little/no documentation in your name. (Or just apply if you do happen to have the right ID).

Probably best then coming back here...
  • KjDot
    I see, while I do that is there any bank account that I could possibly open in the meanwhile such as a metro or anything else?
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    You will not be able to open a bank account anywhere in the UK with a Cat 6 fraud marker. I believe they last 6 years but I am happy to be corrected.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    KjDot wrote: »
    I see, while I do that is there any bank account that I could possibly open in the meanwhile such as a metro or anything else?
    You could try opening a savings account with a building society.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure