Credit card payments and balance due correlation

I'm a little confused about when I have to pay off my credit card. I have set up a direct debit to ensure the full amount is paid off each month (16th for me) and this works really well, however I'm unsure as to when I have to pay off the money I spend on my card. For example, I have used the card this month (between the 1st and 16th of July) and these payments have been added to my august statement, so I will not pay interest on them until the 16th of August, at which point the card will be paid off in full. However I want to know if I spend money now (after a balance was due on the 16th) will it be due in august, or September? I'm not sure on the periods in which they decide which statement the payment is due on? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't seem to find anything about it on my providers documents.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It will appear on the next statement to be produced, and be due by the payment due date on that statement.
  • So it will be due in august? because going by the last statement, I spent money in July however it didn't appear on July's statement.....
  • [Deleted User]
    That's because you would have sent it after the production cut off point off the statement.

Statements don't reflect calendar months (except on very rare occasions).
  • Okay, so what is usually the production cut off point for the statement? or is this not pre-defined.
  • [Deleted User]
    It varies, but a data will be sent a few days before the statement run.
  • Right, so there's no way knowing for sure (unless you use the card right before the statement is due) whether the payment will be due on next months or the month after?
  • [Deleted User]
    Have a look at your previous statements. That will give you a rough idea by looking at the final date of each the final transaction on each.
  • Okay, thank you for the information. I feel like the cut off point is somewhere close to the start of the month as I have used the card during the month of the statement (before its due) and these payments usually are due the month after.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Your statement should give you details of the dates from & to.

Do you have internet banking for your credit card? Mine all state 'transactions from x date to present' when I look at recent transactions. Eg - transactions from 13th July - so I know when my previous statment was produced.

The credit card statement is an invoice for money spent in the previous period - anything spent after the statement date will be added to the following statement.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Hmmm, okay so my online banking says - 21 May 18 to present. This statement was due on the 16th of June. It says my next statement is due on the 16th of July (I assume it hasnt updated yet). so is it fair to assume anything after the 21st of the month will be on the month afters statement? e.g. anything spent on the 21st of July - August 21st will be due on September the 16th?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure