Switching whilst in dispute

Options
RMS2
RMS2 Posts: 335 Forumite
My current supplier has not been so good and we're in dispute over the bill and their lack of supplying information back it up, other than a demand for outstanding money. I don't dispute there is a bill to be paid, I just want to see how they got to it.

If in the mean time I wish to switch to another supplier, can they stop this from going ahead? I.E can I be held to ransom?

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Afraid the answer is probably - Yes they will block the Switch
    Maybe if you post what the problem is, you'll get some help
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How much is in dispute?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    If the outstanding balance to the supplier is less than 28days old then they can't prevent the switch, but should add the amount to your final bill, when it becomes a debt.
    If the outstanding balance is over 28days old, then it's already a debt and they can (and will) insist on having it settled before processing any request to switch supplier.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    edited 19 July 2018 at 10:44AM
    Options
    RMS2 wrote: »
    My current supplier has not been so good and we're in dispute over the bill and their lack of supplying information back it up, other than a demand for outstanding money. I don't dispute there is a bill to be paid, I just want to see how they got to it.

If in the mean time I wish to switch to another supplier, can they stop this from going ahead? I.E can I be held to ransom?

You say you don't dispute there is a bill to be paid, you just want to see how they got to it.

Your're not really being held to ransom; if anything it could be argued the supplier is.

Have you spoken to the supplier to ask them to explain the bill to you?
    Unless the supplier agrees to put the bill on hold whilst they investigate, and I'm not sure there is anything to investigate - you just appear to wish clarification, then if the bill remains unpaid for 28 days then the supplier can indeed stop you switching, and will probably trash your credit history too.

Why not pay the bill that you don't dispute needs to be paid?
    You can still qusetion how it was arrived at, and if the supplier agrees there was an error, they will refund you. This will also allow you to switch supplier at will, and save your credit history.

If the supplier trashes your credit history, you may find other suppliers are reluctant to accept you as a credit meter customer ... or insist on a hefty security deposit for 12 months.

As dogshome requested, if you post what the problem is, you'll get some help here.
    Perhaps post a copy of the bill if that is what you want explaining?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure