I think I might have screwed up!

Okay so I went BR last month.

When I did my SOA I included my income and my wife's ESA, which is all she's getting at the moment.

I then went on to put rent, gas, electric etc etc and on the BR forms I put the total costs, so our rent is £595, electric £55 etc which is the total cost for the month for both of us.

Have I done this wrong? We're now in the process of doing a DRO for her as she has around 6k in debts and is only getting £110 a week in ESA.

Have I filled in my BR wrong?! I'm so confused :(

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi there

It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. By telling the OR how much income you and your wife each have they can calculate a fair split of the household bills based on what you each have available to contribute. From there they will be able to see if you personally can afford to contribute anything towards your debts in an IPA.

Have you had your interview with the OR yet? If you need to discuss anything on your application you'll have a chance to do so then. Or if you've already had your interview, you can still get in touch with them to raise any concerns.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • hbp2008
    hbp2008 Posts: 40 Forumite
    I've already had it, I gave them how much we pay, how much we get in income etc etc so my BR is all completed and in place.

We just need to do a DRO for her, but when trying to use Stepchange they want how much SHE contributes to the bills each month, and that's not how we work at all, we just kinda put it all in a pot
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi again

StepChange may have their own process when working out the surplus someone has for a DRO, but I can't see that a joint SOA should cause an issue. The information on a joint SOA allows an adviser to calculate how much of the surplus belongs to each person.

I'd advise going back to them and explaining you deal with all your income and outgoings jointly so it is difficult to provide a breakdown. If they insist your wife needs to list her own outgoings ask for guidance on how you should work that out given it sounds like your bills are paid out of a joint bank account. Try not to worry as it is very common that someone receiving ESA will have less than £50 per month available to offer their debts.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure