DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    edited 4 July 2017 at 11:29AM
    Hello, sorry for the repost but I don't think anyone saw it :)

"Hello everyone
    Sorry, me again.
    So I posted the other day about lowering my DMP payment through StepChange from 466 to 100 this month. But StepChange have written to me and it looks like they've lowered it until I tell them otherwise even though I thought they were going to lower it for the month and put it straight back to 466. And it's made me think- I would have liked maybe 2-3 months really to build up an emergency fund for the house move that is happening at some point. I felt bad so only said I'd be doing it for 1 month. Everyday loans wanted proof of why I was lowering the payment, because I told them it was due to vet fees- a lie because I just wanted to save a small emergency fund. Would it be ok to keep that lower payment for another few months? Would it be better to phone StepChange and just not bother with the extra few months of lesser payment? I know it'll make my DMP a bit longer which I am ok with if I could have the security of a small emergency fund. It isn't that the 466 is a struggle to pay but the emergency fund is so small. Although I don't really want to have to speak to Everyday Loans again. And I'm also not excited about phoning 7 creditors in general it is so exhausting and worrying. And I don't know how I'd say actually I need to extend the lower payment anyway and the reason why. I also don't want bailiffs or anyone coming to the door. I still havent told my boyfriend and I want to tell him in my own time not have him find out through someone coming to the door :(
    Thanks in advance"

Thank you

Right, you need to shake off this mindset you have, right now.

Stop feeling bad about your creditors. They couldn't give a stuff, frankly. You need to look after you, not them.

If you needed a 2-3 month gap to build an emergency fund, you take that time. Stop "feeling bad", stop feeling the need to explain to SC or anyone why you need that space. You do, that's it.

You know you can tell Everyday Loans where to go. You don't need to prove anything to them, or anyone. Get back to SC and explain you actually do need the time. You do not need to give a reason and they'll know not to pressure you.

Don't call your creditors. Write to them, there's template letters available stating you're going with SC and to direct future correspondence to them. Make it clear that you will not entertain phone calls under any circumstance. Block any numbers that are not SC trying to call you.

Finally, and I know it's scary, but you must stand up, face your situation and take control. You have the reins, use them and don't let any creditor make you feel guilty, or more importantly, don't let yourself feel guilty also. It's only money, you've made a start to getting your debt sorted, be proud of this, stand tall, not in fear and you'll get through this.

Again, I fully believe that once you're in control you'll be able to speak to your partner and if they're a good person, they'll support you, that's what partners do.

Oh, and you're a million miles away from anyone visiting you. This is not Channel 5, and the old doorstep debt collectors are a relic from the 90's. Don't worry about that sort of thing, it just isn't happening. If things progress to potential CCJ's, don't worry about that either as it can easily be dealt with without seeing a single person, other than maybe the CAB.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    I also don't want bailiffs or anyone coming to the door. I still havent told my boyfriend and I want to tell him in my own time not have him find out through someone coming to the door :(
    Thanks in advance"

Thank you

Rebeca, Rebeca, rebeca, as stop it says, stop looking for approval from your creditors, for every move you make.

Please do some research, bailiffs are never going to be an option here, there is a court process to go through before the use of a bailiff can be considered, and only then if there's a likelihood of getting money out of you.

I think you are most likely reffering to doorstep collectors, who are self employed collection agents that work for certain DCA's, there use is very limited, and they have no powers whatsoever, you can simply close the door and ignore them.

All of these collection activities are way down the line, and are last resort tactics, you can take your time, save up your contingency fund, quite happily for a good few months, with no creditor bother at all, all you need do is inform them of your plans.

Do everything in writing, so no more calls, just explain you need time, they will be fine with it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Gosh - this thread is moving along at a pace these days.

To the new DMPers out there - please do listen to the very good advice you are getting from the likes of Sourcrates, January2015, Carbootcrazy, StopIt and others (you guys are really on the ball). Each DMP is different in so far as your situation is unique to you and therefore how you want to do this is entirely in your hands. Don't be ruled by fear of the unknown, or by creditors threats -written or verbal. At the beginning it is scary, yes - but you've taken the first step and it's a slow walk, not a race! If you want to build an emergency fund then do so (and you'd be wise to), if you want a bit of 'time out', take it - just keep creditors in the loop. Don't apologise to anyone for where you are in life -rather, hold your head up high for realising that your financial situation needs to be taken under control and that's what you are doing.

I had 14 creditors and not once did anyone come knocking at my door. I did get the odd call, but the message that I would only deal with them in writing soon got through and the calls stopped. In reality the calls were generally quite harmless and the person at the end of the phone just made a note that I was setting up a DMP - that's it. I did get the -pay or else type letters, but I just filed them away. I've carried on getting the default notices from time to time, usually around the annual review time -but again, I just file them (well bin them now in most cases).

If I could only impart one piece of advice that might stick - don't overstretch yourself. Don't get hung up on the number of years ahead of you or think that you have an obligation to clear your debts as soon as possible. Don't be persuaded through guilt or any other motive to 'up' your payments so much so that you struggle to make ends meet - that's not living, just existing.

Above all... take a deep breath and stay calm.
  • Suseka97
    Forumite
    Okay - I've only gone and done it :j Six (CCA) letters in the post today and now the games begin :D

Have to admit it felt quite liberating and I'm just waiting to check that July's DMP payment has gone out to creditors and I'll be getting in touch with SC to let them know about my plans to self-manage.

I'll post up how I get on with the CCAs, but for now I'm going to see back and see what pops through the door :)
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Suseka97 wrote: »
    Okay - I've only gone and done it :j Six (CCA) letters in the post today and now the games begin :D

Have to admit it felt quite liberating and I'm just waiting to check that July's DMP payment has gone out to creditors and I'll be getting in touch with SC to let them know about my plans to self-manage.

I'll post up how I get on with the CCAs, but for now I'm going to see back and see what pops through the door :)

Good luck.

Remember, not all CCA requests are answered correctly. Keep a very close eye out for missing information, especially for older debts, Pre 2007 that need the full prescribed terms to be present.

If in doubt, post them up here and it'll be clear to the experts here (Not me, although I'm trying to learn!) if they're indeed enforceable.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Suseka97 wrote: »

You're in exactly the same situation as me! I'm just waiting to see mine has gone through and I'm doing the same thing... CCA's already in the post! Good luck! Must admit I feel quite excited about the prospect of dealing with this more head on... (and a little bit nervous)
  • purplepaws
    purplepaws Posts: 76
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hello All - me again.
    Sorry - stupid question: "CCA" is credit card arrears, yes?

Just had the info pack back from Payplan - they're proposing that I pay back £17000 of debt over 20.5 years! What??!!!? I'll be 68 years old!
    DMP launched 04/07/17 left to pay = £14,238.79 (£16,982.82 original debt.) Thanks to MSE & all you wonderful Forum Peeps!:T
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    edited 4 July 2017 at 3:36PM
    purplepaws wrote: »
    Hello All - me again.
    Sorry - stupid question: "CCA" is credit card arrears, yes?

Just had the info pack back from Payplan - they're proposing that I pay back £17000 of debt over 20.5 years! What??!!!? I'll be 68 years old!

"CCA" - consumer credit act.

That's a long time, are any of the insolvency options open to you at all ?

Although some on here are in it for the long haul, generally speaking, if a DMP is going to take more than 6 years, then you should look at other options.

That could be a debt relief order or bankruptcy if a non homeowner, or individual voluntery arrangement if you are.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Suseka97
    Forumite
    purplepaws wrote: »
    Hello All - me again.

Yikes.. no way. As Sourcrates says, you really need to investigate other options. Try to do some online research and then go back to Payplan. Have you looked at the Debtcamel.co.uk site or NEDCAB. Both very good sources of information.
  • Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    So It's 8 weeks since I sent off our CCA requests. 3 have acknowledged and said they will put the account on hold, 2 unenforceable for now and Nationwide messed it up completely and just ignored the request. Going to ring Nationwide shortly.
    Would you send reminders to the 3 we are still waiting for or think no news is good news?
    Nobody is getting in touch either by letter or phone, its all gone very quiet!
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family