Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• JaniceT
    JaniceT Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 30 July 2016 at 7:15PM
    Going to Jhb, then onto Cpt in October this year. I don't want a credit card, just a card to put pounds onto that will convert into rands to use to pay hotel, draw cash, pay meals etc. All the info here has completely baffled me not being an Economist/Finance bod.:( Can any kind soul offer advice pls?
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    JaniceT wrote: »
    Going to Jhb, then onto Cpt in October this year. I don't want a credit card, just a card to put pounds onto that will convert into rands to use to pay hotel, draw cash, pay meals etc. All the info here has completely baffled me not being an Economist/Finance bod.:( Can any kind soul offer advice pls?

Revolut.....
  • Hi, Just thought i should mention that the Revolut Pre paid card recommended is currently unavailable!
  • NiftyDigits
    Hi, Just thought i should mention that the Revolut Pre paid card recommended is currently unavailable!

Nonsense it seems.
  • I'd also be interested if anyone has views on the Caxton FX card. I've also been using it for ages, maybe time to review and swap. Their customer service was pants for a lot of last year and the attitude of one of their senior Ops Managers left a great deal to be desired.

Got a major trip to the Far East coming up at the end of the year so I guess now's the time to swap if I'm going to do it!!
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,056
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd also be interested if anyone has views on the Caxton FX card. I've also been using it for ages, maybe time to review and swap. Their customer service was pants for a lot of last year and the attitude of one of their senior Ops Managers left a great deal to be desired.

Got a major trip to the Far East coming up at the end of the year so I guess now's the time to swap if I'm going to do it!!

I've used one for many years with a few minor problems but generally it has been very useful. What I have noticed is that the rates of exchange are now quite poor whereas they used to be quite competitive. I was in my local M&S today and the rate for euro notes for an M&S cardholder was better than Caxton are offering right now.

I use a prepaid card for security reasons but also have a Clarity card which offers a much better rate. What you don't want to do of course is be dependent on one card.

Personally I would use the Clarity card wherever possible.
  • Hi!!

I love this website and so far it's helped me put a little bit aside for a rainy day.

I haven't seen much info on the problem I'm facing at the moment and I'm wondering if anyone or Mr. Expert himself :money: can help.

I took a travel card out with a fairly well known travel agency in 2013/4. Let's call them BAR Travel. The card is due to expire this month, so when I booked to go on holiday last month, I decided to spend all the money on there because an agent I spoke to advised me that if I still had money in the account past the expiry date I risk losing it. Q1) Can they really do that?

When I tried to use my card, it was declined. I was so embarrassed I transferred an extra £100 into the account assuming insufficient funds. The card still didn't work and it ruined my holiday in a big way. Q2) can a travel money agency get away with that?

They also sent a renewed credit card to my old address. ( I didn't know they even did that!!) I was told once the card expired, that's it!

When I complained, the customer service guy just stated how many times I had entered my PIN number wrong, changed my PIN number, apparently didn't have enough money in the account, moved money in the account and so on. ( apparently it's let's tell you all the time you've messed up - day) I also realised that the "insufficient funds" claim wasn't true.

When I went back to check my emails, I found I had emailed this card company before because I couldn't access money from my account ( 2014)

Now I'm really mad at them :mad: can I get compensation and how can I let people know not to use this particular travel card company?

Please help and thanks for your time

So much love,

Beeline
  • NiftyDigits
    Hi!!

I love this website and so far it's helped me put a little bit aside for a rainy day.

I haven't seen much info on the problem I'm facing at the moment and I'm wondering if anyone or Mr. Expert himself :money: can help.

I took a travel card out with a fairly well known travel agency in 2013/4. Let's call them BAR Travel. The card is due to expire this month, so when I booked to go on holiday last month, I decided to spend all the money on there because an agent I spoke to advised me that if I still had money in the account past the expiry date I risk losing it. Q1) Can they really do that?

When I tried to use my card, it was declined. I was so embarrassed I transferred an extra £100 into the account assuming insufficient funds. The card still didn't work and it ruined my holiday in a big way. Q2) can a travel money agency get away with that?

They also sent a renewed credit card to my old address. ( I didn't know they even did that!!) I was told once the card expired, that's it!

When I complained, the customer service guy just stated how many times I had entered my PIN number wrong, changed my PIN number, apparently didn't have enough money in the account, moved money in the account and so on. ( apparently it's let's tell you all the time you've messed up - day) I also realised that the "insufficient funds" claim wasn't true.

When I went back to check my emails, I found I had emailed this card company before because I couldn't access money from my account ( 2014)

Now I'm really mad at them :mad: can I get compensation and how can I let people know not to use this particular travel card company?

Please help and thanks for your time

So much love,

Beeline

Perhaps begin with facts instead of riddles.
  • Hi there,

Heading to Australia, Fiji and Vietnam at the end of the year and looking into the best way to take money.

My access to internet may well be shaky throughout this time,which may make it difficult to keep up with paying off a credit card. I'm unsure whether the pre-paid Fair FX is the best shout in this case, or if I would still be better with the Clarity? (My understanding being that to avoid interest you're best to pay it off as soon as possible...)

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!
  • NiftyDigits
    cz_p wrote: »
    Hi there,

Heading to Australia, Fiji and Vietnam at the end of the year and looking into the best way to take money.

My access to internet may well be shaky throughout this time,which may make it difficult to keep up with paying off a credit card. I'm unsure whether the pre-paid Fair FX is the best shout in this case, or if I would still be better with the Clarity? (My understanding being that to avoid interest you're best to pay it off as soon as possible...)

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Clarity with perhaps Revolut as a back up.
    Set up weekly standing orders to cover estimated spending. Whilst not perfect, it can reduce interest.
    Install the Halifax Mobile Banking Device to your device as well as your banking institution's app. You can do your banking when you have WiFi...which will likely be often.
    Clearing ATM withdrawals within a week or so on 18.9% APR will only bring a cost of 0.4% or so for ATM withdrawals. So no need to panic.
    Use TechcomBank ATMs in Vietnam if they still levy no charges.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback