How Secure Are We, Shopping Online ?

How secure are we entering our card details online ? I know to avoid dodgy emails and websites without the padlock.. but for the most part, are we safe to shop online ?>

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    venomx wrote: »
    How secure are we entering our card details online ? I know to avoid dodgy emails and websites without the padlock.. but for the most part, are we safe to shop online ?>

I've been shopping online for 20 years had zero issues.
  • The technological world we live in, right now, it's almost impossible to be 100% safe. You can take plenty of steps to mitigate it, of course. But there's little you can do, when the business that has your details has their data stolen.

I've never had a problem at all, until the Ticketmaster breach. There my credit card details were stolen, and tried to be used. My provider was on the ball, however, and prevented the transactions they attempted.
    But that has made me rethink how I buy things online. I don't think I'll ever use my debit card to buy online again. Having someone use my credit card fraudulently is inconvenient, but the card issuer will deal with it. Having my debit card used could mean I'm out of pocket for some time, whilst it gets sorted out. And then it becomes a big problem, if I can't pay the rent/bills.
  • venomx
    venomx Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The technological world we live in, right now, it's almost impossible to be 100% safe. You can take plenty of steps to mitigate it, of course. But there's little you can do, when the business that has your details has their data stolen.

I've never had a problem at all, until the Ticketmaster breach. There my credit card details were stolen, and tried to be used. My provider was on the ball, however, and prevented the transactions they attempted.
    But that has made me rethink how I buy things online. I don't think I'll ever use my debit card to buy online again. Having someone use my credit card fraudulently is inconvenient, but the card issuer will deal with it. Having my debit card used could mean I'm out of pocket for some time, whilst it gets sorted out. And then it becomes a big problem, if I can't pay the rent/bills.

This is the main reason i started the thread because i heard of ticketmaster issue, glad you got it all sorted though :beer:
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Yes. And no.

The way I protect myself is to have a dedicated credit card that I only use online.

Easier to trace activity and anything suspicious that way.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Are we safe crossing the road? Or driving on a busy motorway? As with all things in life, if you're careless, you'll more than likely come a cropper.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure