Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kitchpoo
    • By kitchpoo 18th Jun 08, 8:51 PM
    • 1,242Posts
    • 688Thanks
    kitchpoo
    Married Quarters (MQ) Residents
    • 18th Jun 08, 8:51 PM
    Married Quarters (MQ) Residents 18th Jun 08 at 8:51 PM
    I work for MHS (If you are in Married Quarters in the UK you'll know who we are and what we do) as a Technical Officer , if you have any issues regarding quarters and what MHS should be doing please dont hesitate to contact me.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
Page 5
  • Cheekymonkey
    Jsp 464
    Hi Mercman1969 (and anyone else looking for the Defence Estates MQ "rulebook")
    I think you are looking for JSP 464, which is available on the internet at:
    http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/publications/jsp/jsp464/JSP464Part1.pdf
    I assume this is an up to date version!
    Hope this helps you and others.
    • genieuk
    • By genieuk 8th Jul 08, 8:49 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    genieuk
    We have 4 children and our last two postings have proved difficult in obtaining a qtr, to the point that we are now in a qtr below entitlement. On the one hand you are told your husbands career is importantand that promotion is the way forward etc, then on the other you get accused of putting the family second when do what we have done.

It seems that the lack of housing stock, now means that housing wherever you are, are dictating where you can be posted to. With the current op tempo who would actually also volunteer for an unaccompanied tour on their next posting for 2yrs+
    • kyh
    • By kyh 9th Jul 08, 9:07 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    kyh
    genieuk

If they can't offer you suitable housing I am sure you are entitled to a private hiring - have a look at the reference in the JSP above.

K
    • genieuk
    • By genieuk 9th Jul 08, 12:47 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    genieuk
    Thanks Kyh we are overseas and apparantly no budget for that. We are sorted for the moment but ask me next year or the year after as we all know kids grow so by then youngest two will be 8 & 11.

JSP 464 was interesting when we were being marched out of the last qtr housing guy said we were not entitled to a 4 bed anyway, just which I could have quoted that chapter & verse.

Just amazing how different areas interpret the rules.
  • NewbieMoneySaver**
    This is a good idea. I have a problem and your fellow workers were not helpfull at all.

I have a very old cooker in my MQ as I have lived here for 6 years now. It works fine and the only reason I asked for a new one is because I have a little boy who really likes to play with the gas buttons and also igniter. They just said to get more stair gates and lock him out of the kitchen.
    Current Debt 38,000

• Madmummy
    Hi All I also have a question about Carpets ..... Anyone know how often these get replaced ?. When I moved into my quarter they were in quite a state and was told just to note it down on move in paper. I would just like to know if anyone has asked for new carpets and the response ? Thanks

Oh and if you wanted them replaced early can you pay to have this done

Thanks again
    • henmuffin
    • By henmuffin 25th Aug 08, 8:29 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    henmuffin
    Hi, we have the same problem. Our carpets need replacing and the house needs redec. I think its every 8 years the carpets need changing but I am not sure. I have asked to have our jobs done but they are refused because we are living in the house. My OH is on his third posting on the same camp so we are, of course in the same MQ. To be honest I think they just don't want to spend the money whether it needs doing or not.:confused:
    Started comping February 2012
    Wins so far:
    Mascara, dry shampoo, chocolates, Loreal Elvive goody bag.Pot noodle fork , maggi mix, couscous,
  • Madmummy
    Thank you for your reply, 8 years I have no hope !!!. I will try and face ringing DEH tomorrow but mine are no way near 8 years old they have just been really mistreated by last people. A few people DH knows were offered a redec and upgrade as the were single dads going away for a while, I would put up with all the mess if it ment a new Kitchen !!!
    • henmuffin
    • By henmuffin 25th Aug 08, 9:01 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    henmuffin
    I have lots of settlement cracks in my MQ and a surveyor from DHE came out to inspect. He said we need a redec and would request it but said he would doubt very much if DHE would agree. That's coming from DHE's own surveyor following their rules!!I think sometimes its easier to just do it yourself (not that I have mind). I know a few people who have put laminate floor down over existing carpets. I know someone else who hd a flood and all her carpets HAD to be replaced. Now there's a thought :rolleyes:
    Started comping February 2012
    Wins so far:
    Mascara, dry shampoo, chocolates, Loreal Elvive goody bag.Pot noodle fork , maggi mix, couscous,
  • wildelady
    Hi, we moved a little under a year ago after almost a year long fight for a larger quarter, we have 3 children a 16yr old dd, and 2 ds 14 and 4. We were told by our hic that the requirements for a 4 bed was 4 children or 3 all over the age of 10. When i asked them who was supposed to share i was told the 2 boys, our youngest son has special needs so doesn't really sleep, i explained this and was told that he would have to sleep in with us then. After a battle involving our welfare officer, health visitor and hospital consultant, we funally got the move. On march in, our quarter was filthy, the cleaners were still cleaning the kitchen as we were marching in, they were told it was not up to standard, but just walked out the quarter. All the carpets were still wet, so our furniture had to stay outside til we had managed to get it partly dry, it took myself and 3 friends 4 hours to clean the quarter. We were told on march in that we had had new carpets ordered, we said that we didn't want them because of our youngest and was told that we had to have them. They came to fit them after xmas and found that they didn't have enough, so a new order was placed, i was told in may that they have the carpets, and an appointment was made for the following week, day of the appointment received a phonecall to say that they were too busy and would ahve to make another appointment. I am still waiting.
    To be honest I am loathe to leave this quarter now after all the hassle we have had in getting it. Espcially as we when we leave here (another 18 months), both my eldest will be over 18 and in the army's eyes no longer a dependent and shouldn't be living at home.
    • EmmEve
    • By EmmEve 26th Aug 08, 1:22 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    EmmEve
    Carpets are every 10 yrs i believe, i enquired myself recently! They are not likely to replace them unless they are in bad condition but its certainly worth trying. Don't ask don't get with MHS/DE! I have someone coming out to stretch mine as they are rumpled in a few areas but was told if they couldn't do this sucessfully (some of it is in the stairs) they will have to replace them.

I wouldn't hold your breath on a new cooker because your son likes to play with the buttons! .

I know lots of people with cannon ovens that don't cook properly
    Although saying that i had one, got it replaced and the new one didnt work properly either
  • NewbieMoneySaver**
    Hi thanks for the reply.

With regards to the carpets, I also believe that it's every 10 years but I have had mine changed and I've lived in mine for 6 years now. That was about 4 years though. I just kept asking and they give in in the end. You get to choose the colours of the new ones too.
    Current Debt 38,000

• kitchpoo
    • By kitchpoo 28th Aug 08, 7:20 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    kitchpoo
    Sorry folks, but the wheels and systems of MHS are so big and cumbersome - placing me under such a huge amount of pressure that I have handed my notice in!! Though all is not lost, as I'm going to be a contractor working on another base nearby for Defence Estates directly! so I should be able to continue with the advice.

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
    • EmmEve
    • By EmmEve 29th Aug 08, 1:49 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    EmmEve
    Once upon a time, long long ago, I thought no service could be worse than DE. Then MHS came along and proved me so wrong! . 'Tis all i'm going to say.

Congrats on the new job hope it goes well for you. The advice will still be much appreciated
    • Marker
    • By Marker 29th Aug 08, 2:13 PM
    • 3,070 Posts
    • 3,974 Thanks
    Marker
    Sorry to hear that Kitchpoo, hope your new job is less stressful.
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum
    Tesco - 1000 , Carpet - 20, Barclaycard - 50, HSBC - 50 + Car - 1700
    SAVED =0
    Debts - 2850
    • kitchpoo
    • By kitchpoo 29th Aug 08, 9:31 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    kitchpoo
    MHS have done so many good things, but its the detail and the initial contract agreement screwing it all up. I spelt out a few home truths in my resignation but I am under no illusion of it actually changing anything.

Just to give some up to date info - DE Housing Officers positions are deemed to be under threat with a high level of duplication. As such they are justifying their position by picking up more and more defects, backcharging occupants etc - making MHS' (and my) job so much harder and intolerable. I have a feeling MHS may surrender the contract before contract end.

• EmmaWD
    Good luck in the new job Kitchpoo.

I have a question about tiles :-)
    I clean my bathroom every week, including scrubbing all the tiles down, so I know this has happened in the last week, but I have 3 tiles which have a very faint hairline crack running through them horizontally, the three tiles are side by side. I have a march out at the beginning of October, so should I just leave it and let the next person sort it or do I ring MHS? I am really quite wary because I have heard horror stories about people being billed for the silliest things on move out, but this can only be wear and tear IMO (because I know I didn't do anything to the tiles lol).
    ANy advice appreciated! thanks :-)
  • Jumping_Jack
    Medieval Housing Solutions sums up my experience. Almost 3 years to repair a leaking roof that eventually brought down the ceiling in one of the bedrooms
    • lauren1983
    • By lauren1983 11th Sep 08, 8:52 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    lauren1983
    Hi,

Could anyone tell me when you are eligible to apply for Married quarters?

My OH is starting his basic training soon and then if he gets the job he wants he will be in his phase two training for two years after that. Do we ahev to wit until his training is over?

Any advice will be great

Thanks

Lauren
    • Sparky29
    • By Sparky29 11th Sep 08, 9:15 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Sparky29
    Hi,

Could anyone tell me when you are eligible to apply for Married quarters?

My OH is starting his basic training soon and then if he gets the job he wants he will be in his phase two training for two years after that. Do we ahev to wit until his training is over?

Any advice will be great

Thanks

Lauren
    Originally posted by lauren1983
    When he completes phase 1 training you are entitled to a quarter presuming you are married. You will not be given one before as if he doesn't complete phase 1 training he will be discharged.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

2,258Users online

Martin's Twitter