Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kitchpoo
    • By kitchpoo 18th Jun 08, 8:51 PM
    • 1,242Posts
    • 688Thanks
    kitchpoo
    Married Quarters (MQ) Residents
    • 18th Jun 08, 8:51 PM
    Married Quarters (MQ) Residents 18th Jun 08 at 8:51 PM
    I work for MHS (If you are in Married Quarters in the UK you'll know who we are and what we do) as a Technical Officer , if you have any issues regarding quarters and what MHS should be doing please dont hesitate to contact me.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
Page 21
    • 13Kent
    • By 13Kent 1st Jun 11, 8:37 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 4,241 Thanks
    13Kent
    hello im not sure if you will be able to help me or not, but i live in chester and im pregnant, im 17 (i know, i know) ..my fiance is 19, and im not too sure what he does, but he used to drive tanks and now he fixes lorries in the army, he is based near bury st edmonds.. im just wondering, it might be a really obvious question, but do you have to be married to live in married quarters? or are there other expetions? i dont want our baby girl growing up only being able to see her dad at weekends, and besides, my family are lovelly but i just cant stand being under the same roof as them! we were going to get married, but me being under 18, they wont sign the forms.. any ideas that can help?? xx
    Originally posted by KatrinaLovesJase
    Hi Katrina,

You do need to be married before you are entitled to a quarter.

However, although there are lots of positive aspects, forces life can be hard even when you are an older Mum - have a look some of the other posts on this board. It's a shock when you are suddenly sent to live miles away from friends and family and your hubby gets sent away for months on end and you have to cope on your own with your children without much support. People around can be very helpful, but at the end of the day when you shut that door and it's just you and your children it can be lonely at times.

I think the life can be even more difficult for some younger Mums who are coping with living on their own away from their own Mum for the first time with all the responsibilities that running a home brings, and with a baby to look after too it's not easy.

Also many camps are miles away from anywhere, and you can be quite isolated if you don't have access to a car, or don't drive.

I am in my 40's, and like you can't live under the same roof as my Mum, but after I had my first baby I dearly wished that she was just up the road and not miles away -especially in the middle of the night when the baby was sick, I was on my own and didn't know what to do for the best!

Please don't think I'm trying to scare you off, there are many positives to forces life, like getting a house as part of the job, but it is a big change of lifestyle for anyone at any age and I would encourage anyone, no matter how old to find out more about it before they make the decision to become part of it.

Good luck, I hope things work out for you.
  • N22ENE
    Decoration
    Hi, This might be a completely mad thing to ask but thought I'd ask it anyway.

We've just been allocated a quarter and the person who is still occupying has let us in to have a look around. She's lived in it for 5 years. The whole house is covered in woodchip wallpaper, could we ask for this to be removed before moving in or does it just have to be clean for us?

After 18 years of married quarters I have never ever had woodchip on my walls lol and I'm not looking forward to having to live with the godforsaking stuff!!

Cheers
    Nene x
    • 13Kent
    • By 13Kent 8th Jun 11, 11:52 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 4,241 Thanks
    13Kent
    We've had woodchip - in magnolia - we used to call them "rice pudding walls".

I think you'll probably be stuck with them I'm afraid
  • N22ENE
    Yuck!! Great!!! lol
  • maddymoo
    You never know what you might find if you had it taken off. It's probably the only thing holding the house together anyway! We had it in our last MQ and you do get used to it (eventually).
  • N22ENE
    You never know what you might find if you had it taken off. It's probably the only thing holding the house together anyway! We had it in our last MQ and you do get used to it (eventually).
    Originally posted by maddymoo
    Not sure I'm convinced that I'll get used to it however I do agree it's probably what's holding the house together lol...oh the joys of military accommodation! lol
    • 13Kent
    • By 13Kent 9th Jun 11, 5:15 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 4,241 Thanks
    13Kent
    Don't know which service you are, but there is a facebook page called RAF quarters which is really useful for info.
  • N22ENE
    Don't know which service you are, but there is a facebook page called RAF quarters which is really useful for info.
    Originally posted by 13Kent
    Thanks for that, hubby is Army and just found an Army Quarters facebook page which is great. Many thanks again x
    • Archer0710
    • By Archer0710 1st Jul 11, 12:27 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    Archer0710
    I am hoping someone can help me with my carpet issue please.

We marched into the Quarter in Feb last year and were told the carpets were life expired but there was no budget to replace them and we were to reapply the following year. My Husband duly did and was told no budget and they were only being replaced on H&S grounds.

Finally this year we got them to come out and inspect them, the Housing officer had barely stepped inside the door before she told me we wouldnít get them replaced. Our two main carpets arenít held down by anything as the edges are that frayed and they are heavily wrinkled and decomposed but she agreed they could be repined and extra metal grippers put in at the thresholds (they would be then swapped when we were posted). MODern came out yesterday and the poor guy said there was nothing to pin, no guts in the carpets to restretch and although he tried they are now coming up again. The worst one is the one between the kitchen dining room where it is literally just laid on the floor. The carpets appear to be (according to MODern original thus 19 years old)

How can I fight this to get them changed? It appears as we have no children and horror of horrors a dog that they donít want to do them. We were due posting next month but thatís changed. I wouldnít care but these carpets are horrendous. You have to step carefully from room to room and hovering them just rips them apart more to the point where you dread doing it each time. Equally if they are going to do it given the upheaval I want the whole lot done not a fight each and every time along the same lines.

Oh and other people with dogs appear to be getting much better carpets than ours changed. I am not one of these people that would bother just cos the carpets aren;t the right colour etc these are just plain unacceptable now.

Any advice please?
    Originally posted by Archer0710

Further to this DE - despite a written request and my husband going in person to see their rep are refusing to tell us the age of our carpets.

We have them coming Tuesday to "make safe" the carpets which was what supposedly should have been done before (and to which the Modern Guy laughed and said "What on earth do they think I can do with these") and they are saying we need to take it up with Brampton.

Is this the case can someone please advise me where to take this from here. I understand that 10 years is a guide, however my carpets are well and truly ....past their best and not held down by anything!
  • eggfried
    Hi,

We have been in our MQ for nearly 6 months and I'm a little worried about a tree that sits in the middle of the chicken wire fence between mine and my neighbours garden only half of it has leaves on and the rest seems to be dead and the branches (albeit small at the moment) are falling off. Who's responsibility is it? Can I just ring up MHS for them to come and have a look or do I have to get a tree doctor person in?
    • EmmEve
    • By EmmEve 1st Jul 11, 8:46 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    EmmEve
    Ring MHS. They should deal with this. You aren't allowed to touch the trees yourself. They all have their own identifying plaques too
    • davilown
    • By davilown 2nd Jul 11, 12:41 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    davilown
    Further to this DE - despite a written request and my husband going in person to see their rep are refusing to tell us the age of our carpets.

We have them coming Tuesday to "make safe" the carpets which was what supposedly should have been done before (and to which the Modern Guy laughed and said "What on earth do they think I can do with these") and they are saying we need to take it up with Brampton.

Is this the case can someone please advise me where to take this from here. I understand that 10 years is a guide, however my carpets are well and truly ....past their best and not held down by anything!
    Quite simply write an e-mail to the complaints email address on the DHE website. (I think its a reply within 14 working days.)

If that doesn't work, complain again to the same person. Explain that the carpets are now becoming dangerous and, should an accident occur, that you would potentially hold DHE responsible.

Be nice, don't shout, swear or lose your temper as this will get you no-where. The people on the end of the email tend to be the DHE area managers, or close to them and these are the people who can authorise additional repairs.

Reference carpet life, I've had two sets replaced over the last 3 years and they were over 7 years.

Out of interest, is this an army MQ and is your hubbie a Private, JNCO, SNCO or Officer? Silly nowadays but this still makes a massive difference.
    Back in Debt £214,500 on a £230,900 mortgage) Overpayment £37 pm - Aim to be Mortgage free by 2034
    £27000/£27000 paid off Feb 2010 since LBM Jan 2007!
    • Archer0710
    • By Archer0710 2nd Jul 11, 7:07 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    Archer0710
    Hi

It's an Army Mq and DH is a jnco.

We initially raised the complaint with the HO to be fobbed off, her manager quoted facts and figures at my husband but wouldn't answer the question in any form. MHS are coming Tuesday to make safe the carpets and also a "compliance officer" apparently??

We keep getting told "if we had children they may be able to help" (over everything tbh including a broken shower). It's very frustrating when people we know have had carpets changed that are better than ours but when we raise it get told it's because they have kids.
    • zyonchaos
    • By zyonchaos 10th Jul 11, 11:35 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    zyonchaos
    Hi

It's an Army Mq and DH is a jnco.

We initially raised the complaint with the HO to be fobbed off, her manager quoted facts and figures at my husband but wouldn't answer the question in any form. MHS are coming Tuesday to make safe the carpets and also a "compliance officer" apparently??

We keep getting told "if we had children they may be able to help" (over everything tbh including a broken shower). It's very frustrating when people we know have had carpets changed that are better than ours but when we raise it get told it's because they have kids.

My advice is get your hubby to get hold of the JSP that relates to quarters. DHE and everyone involved with them will argue black is white and white is black they will also tell you, that they dont have to do what the JSP says. They do. If they still dont do anything tell hubby to get his !!! to his CO, via admin, welfare and padre and kick off a big stink. Dont sitback and take it keep forcing the issue as its the only way you will get it sorted we have had this issue with a gas leak in the house, which was due to faulty work carried out when our kitchen was refitted. It took the best part of 6 mths to get it sorted.
  • I_M_Weasel
    This is the paragraph that covers carpets in the jsp:

0714. Replacement and cleaning at public expense.

a. Carpets. Carpets will normally be cleaned every 3 years for lounge/dining
    rooms and hall/stairs and every 5 years for bedrooms. Should the need arise to
    clean the carpets before the agreed date, the cost must be borne by the licensee.
    Similarly, should the carpet need replacing before its scheduled expiry date
    (normally 10 years) the cost appropriate to the age of the carpet will also be born by
    the licensee.

So after 10 years you have justification for replacement whether the DIO housing officer thinks they're ready for replacement or not.

If you know your carpets are over 10 years of age you could just destroy/rip/paint your carpets leaving DIO with no choice but to accept that they must be replaced. You would be billed the appropriate price for the age of the carpets (100% new, dropping 10% per year until 10 years where value is 0).

It is an extreme measure to take but soldiers are being pushed into taking such action just to get what they are entitled to, remember you do pay rent and this rent partly pays for curtain cleaning, carpet cleaning, external decoration, internal decoration and new carpets.

I'm sure that you've all noticed that DIO follow the rules when it costs you money but doesn't when it costs DIO money.

DIO is the new name for DE, which was the new name for DHE - all the same organisation that provides army housing.
  • dbt3mummy
    Ring MHS. They should deal with this. You aren't allowed to touch the trees yourself. They all have their own identifying plaques too
    Originally posted by EmmEve
    Really? In our last property we had one extremely close to the house which would really badly sway in strong winds and being in a bungalow would of come straight through the roof into our bedroom. MHS refused point blank and said trees were not their responsibility.

So DH took to it with a chainsaw and rope, and I found it across the garden after a shopping trip!

And there are no identifying plagues on any of the trees in any of the numerous quarters we have been in!
    Cabot (0%) left to pay £2455 let the overpayments commence!
  • I_M_Weasel
    Trees are definitely MHS's problem.
    • EmmEve
    • By EmmEve 13th Jul 11, 10:58 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    EmmEve
    Yeah MHS like to get out of anything remotely possible! Half the helpdesk staff don't even know what's classed as an emergency let alone anything else. Lets not forget the computer says nooooo to almost everything (when the system is working anyway!).

Tree pruning is MHS's responsibility. They probably won't touch a tree during nesting season and you'll probably have to fight with them over it.

From the MHS website:
    16) Who is responsible for maintaining gardens?
    The occupant is responsible for cutting the grass in the garden whilst MHS or the Regional Prime contractor maintains and cuts the grass of communal areas, and is responsible for the maintenance of all trees and large hedges (over 1.8m) on the estate (whether they are in gardens or not). Maintaining hedges to 1.8m is the occupant's responsibility. Occupants are asked to report such works to the Helpdesk.
  • polar182
    Service vehicles parking in Married Quarters Areas
    Hi all,

My patch has a real parking problem, some idiots have decided to start driving Royal Naval vehicles home and parking them up making a problem with parking.

Good to see the tax payer is paying for them to travel home every night

Does anyone know regulations....
    • Fergie76
    • By Fergie76 16th Aug 11, 6:07 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 2,294 Thanks
    Fergie76
    Hi all,

My patch has a real parking problem, some idiots have decided to start driving Royal Naval vehicles home and parking them up making a problem with parking.

Good to see the tax payer is paying for them to travel home every night

Does anyone know regulations....
    Originally posted by polar182
    Service vehicles should only be used for Service purposes. I would not class daily travel to and from work as a Service purpose.

Parking is a nightmare on my estate too, but not as bad as it used to be.

Where do you live?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,818Posts Today

8,436Users online

Martin's Twitter