Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kitchpoo
    • By kitchpoo 18th Jun 08, 8:51 PM
    • 1,242Posts
    • 688Thanks
    kitchpoo
    Married Quarters (MQ) Residents
    • 18th Jun 08, 8:51 PM
    Married Quarters (MQ) Residents 18th Jun 08 at 8:51 PM
    I work for MHS (If you are in Married Quarters in the UK you'll know who we are and what we do) as a Technical Officer , if you have any issues regarding quarters and what MHS should be doing please dont hesitate to contact me.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
Page 20
    • peteuk
    • By peteuk 29th Jun 10, 11:29 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    peteuk
    Common sense does not exist in the world of MHS!
    Originally posted by EmmEve

Like the time I called MHS to report a broken and overflowing gutter/drainpipe on my house. When reporting the problem I cleared told them it was a two story building and the gutter was not accessable without a ladder.

On the day of the arranged appt, the allotted time past, so I phoned them to findout what was happening. i was told the repair man would be with me in half an hour.

Dully 30 minutes later repair MAN turned up, knocked on my door said "youve got a gutter needs repairing" I showed him to the back of the house pointed the obviously broken gutter and he said "Cant do anything with that its a ladder and a two man job!" NS Sherlock.

So he left, I contacted MHS who stated the inital job is to assess the problem and fix if possible. After I finished telling them that I wanted to be compensated for the days leave I had taken for the work repairman to look at a drain (now im no plumber/drain expert but even I could tell you it was a two man job with a ladder).

They settled on £30 in vouches and an apology in writing
    • coldstreamalways
    • By coldstreamalways 30th Jun 10, 9:04 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    coldstreamalways
    Punctuation is not a crime you know
    Originally posted by BLT
    Neither is having a well paid job and some assets, something seems to be stopping you though.
    • coldstreamalways
    • By coldstreamalways 30th Jun 10, 9:42 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    coldstreamalways
    And aren't even intelligent enough to look past the username, oops, you are really a sandwich aren't you? Corps rubbish, chip on the shoulder more like, soldier on kid and stop offending people with your bad attitude and jealousy.
    • jpwhittle
    • By jpwhittle 1st Jul 10, 6:28 AM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 2,680 Thanks
    jpwhittle
    BLT maybe you should join the frontline? seeing as you know so much about it. why dont you accept a job where the accomadation you're given is regulerly classed as substandard, is unfit for people living on benefits, and as one closed camp was described "not fit enough for the prisoners that were going to be put there when it was turned into a prison". While all the time its ok for you to live in a freezing house during the coldest winter on record because the heating system packed up and supposedly it isnt an emergancy to fix it, thus your soon ends up with pnumonia and your told to deal with it. The children are ill constantly because of the damp and the mould that grows in everyroom but your told simply open your windows. Doesnt matter that they are never closed anyway due to trying to clear the damp.
    So yeah we get cheap rent, certainly not £100 a month rent but we live in conditions that people who cant be arsed doing a full days work arent allowed to live in because its against their basic human rights!!! Most families dont stay in forces quarters very long for the good of their families and those of us that do, do so because we move so often. I own my own house that we let out and i know im not allowed to let my tennant live in these conditions but yet its ok for the men and women who defend this country and their families, so please dont come on here cmoplaining untill you know all the facts
    back to comping in 2017, fingers crossed
    • Marker
    • By Marker 1st Jul 10, 5:28 PM
    • 3,070 Posts
    • 3,974 Thanks
    Marker
    You people make me laugh, you pay 120 pounds a month for a 3 bedroom property with a garden, get free repairs on call etc etc and then whine like little girls when things don't go the way you plan.

PMSL at having to take a days leave, that I'm surprised you weren't on permanent guard.

You people need to visit the real world, where rent is 6 times as high and you actually have to look after yourself
    Originally posted by BLT

Firstly, housing stock comes in different shapes and sizes, sometimes even different floors, so your first point is flawed.you must be so far down the military food chain if you actually have to take leave for quarter repairs

FREE repairs on a property that we don't own. Isn't that funny, civi landlords are obliged to do the same thing as well. Like civi tenants if we personally damage something then we have to pay for it. Instead of a deposit given upfront we are billed at the end for damages ...

Slightly annoying having to take a days leave for repairs for someelses property, again civi world it would be the landlords problem! Unless arranged with the tenant. We on the other hand dont get that choice. Oh and due to the incompetance of the FREE repair service we receive, add a few more annual leave used up on one small tiny issue.

As for this "you must be so far down the military food chain if you actually have to take leave for quarter repairs". What a plank you are. We can't all be on top of the world as you believe you are. You have to have the foot soldiers ... to clean up your !!!!!.

As for the real world ... personnel deploying all the time, living in substandard cheap accommodation in an area we've never heard of, hundreds of miles away from family is the real world. Dumb dumb dumb!
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum
    Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
    • peteuk
    • By peteuk 1st Jul 10, 9:51 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    peteuk
    You people make me laugh, you pay 120 pounds a month for a 3 bedroom property with a garden, get free repairs on call etc etc and then whine like little girls when things don't go the way you plan.

PMSL at having to take a days leave, you must be so far down the military food chain if you actually have to take leave for quarter repairs that I'm surprised you weren't on permanent guard.

You people need to visit the real world, where rent is 6 times as high and you actually have to look after yourself
    Originally posted by BLT
    First off I dont pay £120 for a 3 bedroom house. And if you want to come and cut my grass it sure would only take about 10 minutes in the postage stamp of a garden.

Secondly yes i was P***sed off at the fact the MHS couldnt get their act together to send an appropraite people with the equipment to fix a basic problem. You dont send a carpenter to fix an electrical fault.

Yes I took a days leave, at the time the place I worked at was 10 miles away from the SFA, I wasnt allowed to claim travel to work, as a bus was supplied....

And as for the guard duty. How many people in the military can say hand on heart after 13 years in not one single guard duty done!!!!!

If you want to guess my trade then feel free! Equally at 40K a year I dont believe im that "far down the food chain"
    • peteuk
    • By peteuk 1st Jul 10, 10:11 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    peteuk
    OK how about another compalint to MHS. This happened about 4 years ago.

I requested MHS relay my front path. I actually shared it with my neighbour but thought it was looking dangerous,so reported it.

MHS dully sent two men out to lift the concrete and lay a new one. However what they actually did was this.

Didnt knock on the door! ripped up the old path, didnt mix enough concrete and then layed the new path. Only when they came to the final corner they realised they hadnt enough concrete so set about mixing it with mud from the ripped up path.

I know this because I watched them from an upstairs window. When they had finished they walked over the road, had the housing bloke sign off the job (as there was no one in the house) and left.

Strangley when it dried and cracked I complained. I dragged the housing officer from his office and then poured a bucket of water over the path. Sadly the water just pooled in the middle.

So the next week the same guys came back out and ripped up the path, mixed enough concrete and then put it back down. They even levelled it off....

My passing remark to them as I left the house just as the packed up was " you should have done that inthe first place".
    • jpwhittle
    • By jpwhittle 2nd Jul 10, 6:34 AM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 2,680 Thanks
    jpwhittle
    If you want to guess my trade then feel free! Equally at 40K a year I dont believe im that "far down the food chain"
    Originally posted by peteuk
    pretty far up the food chain id say.
    back to comping in 2017, fingers crossed
    • chazzie83
    • By chazzie83 31st Jul 10, 9:32 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    chazzie83
    Me and my wife got a quarter at RAF Wittering and when she did the march in she was told the signal is poor in the area and you need sky to watch TV. Was outside yesterday putting the washing out and looked up at the roof and realised we had no TV aerial are we intitled to get this fixed?
    • gt568
    • By gt568 15th Aug 10, 3:37 PM
    • 1,895 Posts
    • 3,177 Thanks
    gt568
    You should have an aerial.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • peteuk
    • By peteuk 15th Aug 10, 9:31 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    peteuk
    Me and my wife got a quarter at RAF Wittering and when she did the march in she was told the signal is poor in the area and you need sky to watch TV. Was outside yesterday putting the washing out and looked up at the roof and realised we had no TV aerial are we intitled to get this fixed?
    Originally posted by chazzie83

Think you might find the ariel in the roof space.....dont both with attaching the TV to the wall sockets they dont tend to be connected.

Wittering is a nightmare, my mate had to sit on his kitchen worktop point his mobile out of the window just to get a signal.

Still I miss the kebabs from Stamford, no one does a mixed kebab in Nan around here!!!!!
  • KatrinaLovesJase
    I work for MHS (If you are in Married Quarters in the UK you'll know who we are and what we do) as a Technical Officer , if you have any issues regarding quarters and what MHS should be doing please dont hesitate to contact me.
    Originally posted by kitchpoo

hello im not sure if you will be able to help me or not, but i live in chester and im pregnant, im 17 (i know, i know) ..my fiance is 19, and im not too sure what he does, but he used to drive tanks and now he fixes lorries in the army, he is based near bury st edmonds.. im just wondering, it might be a really obvious question, but do you have to be married to live in married quarters? or are there other expetions? i dont want our baby girl growing up only being able to see her dad at weekends, and besides, my family are lovelly but i just cant stand being under the same roof as them! we were going to get married, but me being under 18, they wont sign the forms.. any ideas that can help?? xx
  • helsee
    hello im not sure if you will be able to help me or not, but i live in chester and im pregnant, im 17 (i know, i know) ..my fiance is 19, and im not too sure what he does, but he used to drive tanks and now he fixes lorries in the army, he is based near bury st edmonds.. im just wondering, it might be a really obvious question, but do you have to be married to live in married quarters? or are there other expetions? i dont want our baby girl growing up only being able to see her dad at weekends, and besides, my family are lovelly but i just cant stand being under the same roof as them! we were going to get married, but me being under 18, they wont sign the forms.. any ideas that can help?? xx
    Originally posted by KatrinaLovesJase
    yes you need to be married and no i dont know of any exemptions. Dont jump into army life just to get away from your family, i would spend some time establishing your relationship with your partner first! also be aware that just because your living together doesnt mean he will be around all the time.
  • sam39
    MQ Redec on move-out?
    I know in the days of DHE that they usually redecorated a house after it had been occupied for a certain time (seem to remember it being about 3-4 years??).
    Can anyone please tell me if this is still the case, thanks.
  • captaincollins
    I dont believe so, I am pretty sure you need to turn it back now (sucks!)
  • maddymoo
    We've always been told that MQs are redecorated every 5-6 years and have had to paint a fair few walls back to magnolia again (after painting our own choice of colours). You should be told at your pre-march out appointment.
  • captaincollins
    I asked at my move in 2 years ago as I had herd about the 4 yr rule and was told that rule was no longer in operation and if we painted, when we moved out it would all need to be magnolia.
    I would say get what you can in writing!
  • purpleburglaralarm
    I'm currently living in an MQ and the 5 year rule for painting still applies, as DHE have told me I can apply to have the house decorated, although I won't be bothering as it is too much hassle!
    • Archer0710
    • By Archer0710 1st Jun 11, 1:05 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    Archer0710
    I am hoping someone can help me with my carpet issue please.

We marched into the Quarter in Feb last year and were told the carpets were life expired but there was no budget to replace them and we were to reapply the following year. My Husband duly did and was told no budget and they were only being replaced on H&S grounds.

Finally this year we got them to come out and inspect them, the Housing officer had barely stepped inside the door before she told me we wouldnít get them replaced. Our two main carpets arenít held down by anything as the edges are that frayed and they are heavily wrinkled and decomposed but she agreed they could be repined and extra metal grippers put in at the thresholds (they would be then swapped when we were posted). MODern came out yesterday and the poor guy said there was nothing to pin, no guts in the carpets to restretch and although he tried they are now coming up again. The worst one is the one between the kitchen dining room where it is literally just laid on the floor. The carpets appear to be (according to MODern original thus 19 years old)

How can I fight this to get them changed? It appears as we have no children and horror of horrors a dog that they donít want to do them. We were due posting next month but thatís changed. I wouldnít care but these carpets are horrendous. You have to step carefully from room to room and hovering them just rips them apart more to the point where you dread doing it each time. Equally if they are going to do it given the upheaval I want the whole lot done not a fight each and every time along the same lines.

Oh and other people with dogs appear to be getting much better carpets than ours changed. I am not one of these people that would bother just cos the carpets aren;t the right colour etc these are just plain unacceptable now.

Any advice please?
    • Fergie76
    • By Fergie76 1st Jun 11, 1:25 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 2,294 Thanks
    Fergie76
    I am hoping someone can help me with my carpet issue please.

We marched into the Quarter in Feb last year and were told the carpets were life expired but there was no budget to replace them and we were to reapply the following year. My Husband duly did and was told no budget and they were only being replaced on H&S grounds.

Finally this year we got them to come out and inspect them, the Housing officer had barely stepped inside the door before she told me we wouldn’t get them replaced. Our two main carpets aren’t held down by anything as the edges are that frayed and they are heavily wrinkled and decomposed but she agreed they could be repined and extra metal grippers put in at the thresholds (they would be then swapped when we were posted). MODern came out yesterday and the poor guy said there was nothing to pin, no guts in the carpets to restretch and although he tried they are now coming up again. The worst one is the one between the kitchen dining room where it is literally just laid on the floor. The carpets appear to be (according to MODern original thus 19 years old)

How can I fight this to get them changed? It appears as we have no children and horror of horrors a dog that they don’t want to do them. We were due posting next month but that’s changed. I wouldn’t care but these carpets are horrendous. You have to step carefully from room to room and hovering them just rips them apart more to the point where you dread doing it each time. Equally if they are going to do it given the upheaval I want the whole lot done not a fight each and every time along the same lines.

Oh and other people with dogs appear to be getting much better carpets than ours changed. I am not one of these people that would bother just cos the carpets aren;t the right colour etc these are just plain unacceptable now.

Any advice please?
    Originally posted by Archer0710

From JSP 464 - http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/8C4FFAD0-8EAA-448D-933B-62B8714A8BE5/0/20110418TSARJSP464Pt1Amend11.pdf

0714. Replacement and cleaning at public expense.

a. Carpets. Carpets will normally be cleaned every 3 years for lounge/dining rooms and hall/stairs and every 5 years for bedrooms. Should the need arise to clean the carpets before the agreed date, the cost must be borne by the licensee. Similarly, should the carpet need replacing before its scheduled expiry date (normally 10 years) the cost appropriate to the age of the carpet will also be born by the licensee.

I would ring them up and quote this to them, if they still won't budge, raise it as a complaint - http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/MicroSite/DIO/WhatWeDo/Accommodation/SfaComplaints.htm

If they still won't budge contact your hive office - http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/ServiceCommunity/Hive/ and see if they can help.
    Last edited by Fergie76; 01-06-2011 at 1:28 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,309Posts Today

8,383Users online

Martin's Twitter