Why is my gas use so high?

Options

Comments

• LostCdn
    LostCdn Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    I can't smell gas, but I do find it odd a whole units been 'used' and the sse people want to charge to send someone if there's no issue with the metre - it's so hard to tell if it's the metre, the boiler, the thermostat, the flat itself....
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

you seem to have it set pretty high.

Are radiators heating up well, maybe needing bled.
  • LostCdn
    Options
    No I have it set at only 10! The lowest number on the thermostat
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

sorry, I was going with the picture set at 28.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LostCdn wrote: »
    I can't smell gas, but I do find it odd a whole units been 'used' and the sse people want to charge to send someone if there's no issue with the metre - it's so hard to tell if it's the metre, the boiler, the thermostat, the flat itself....
    Did you use a significant amount of hot water for anything, like a bath or shower between readings?
    Was it a whole unit, or did the meter just click over from something like 1.9 to 2.0, and you just saw the change in the figure before the decimal point?
    If you really didn't use the boiler between the readings, and nothing else runs off gas (like a stove), then it should not have recorded any usage at all.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• couriervanman
    Options
    LostCdn wrote: »
    This won't let me.reply directly - sorry! Maybe I'm daft.

Re: bulb - it was the third cheapest option and seemed to have by far the highest customer ratings. Didn't get the referral from anyone but have since heard of people I know using it with decent feedback. Unlike SSE :mad:

As for the thermostat - it's such an old model there doesn't even seem to be a model anywhere!!
    If I turn it up then back down and hear a click - does that mean it works? I don't think I can submit a pic or link here to show you but it's literally just a dial....

Why do people worry so much about CS.....cold hard cash is key
  • LostCdn
    Options
    To my knowledge nothing else runs on gas, except heating and hot water. No shower, no nothing was used during that time.
    The exact figures at 11:10 am versus 4:15pm:
  • LostCdn
    Options
    Would a boiler engineer also check all the gas stuff is working or are they all separate? I can't seem to get my landlord to call a boiler engineer and it has to be thin, and sse wants to charge £35 for me to get someone to examine the metre. Could it be a gas leak if the boiler was off?
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Why do people worry so much about CS.....cold hard cash is key

CS, what's that?
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• LostCdn
    Options
    There's no debt! I've asked and re-asked and re-asked!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure