Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 5th Aug 14, 6:09 AM
    • 34,021Posts
    • 68,652Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Downsizing
    • 5th Aug 14, 6:09 AM
    Downsizing 5th Aug 14 at 6:09 AM
    Everyone says you should do it while you can rather than wait until you are too old/ill/frail and in principal I agree with this.

We have a mid-terrace Victorian house so not a huge amount to downsize from. But we decided to look anyway.

We wanted a bungalow on a bus route and near shops in a decent area. So we had a look round and came up with this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41561581.html

It is near a bus stop, near shops and other amenities and even has a local railway station just up the road (the railway runs along the back of the property but that does not bother us as it is only a local line). It has a garage (which we've never had before) and a small garden. We had a look through the windows (the property is empty) and could see that it needs a bit of work doing but we don't mind that.

It looks just what we want.

However..... we came back home and looked at our nice house with wildlife garden and pond and thought how could we possibly move from that into a small bungalow? We would lose a dining room, one bedroom and a large dry cellar which is used for storage and the garden is much smaller. We could just see ourselves being crammed into this little place and feeling caged up and hating it. But the point of downsizing is to have a smaller house and garden, right??

The downsides to our house are - no garage, the street outside is like a linear car park on both sides and my husband is increasingly worried about the area declining, as more houses become buy-to-lets and more eastern European immigrants arrive (the area has always been multicultural, but the latest arrivals do seem to be very intrusive and not attempting to fit in).

At the moment we have decided to stay put and in fact are spending a few grand on a summerhouse for the top of our long garden.

But I'm wondering whether this is the right decision? Absolute dilemma. It's a head and heart situation.

Discussion welcomed.

(We are fit and healthy mid-60s. My husband does have arthritis in his knees, although this usually does not bother him too much).
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 05-08-2014 at 6:48 AM.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
Page 12
    • PennyForThem
    • By PennyForThem 5th Aug 15, 7:38 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    PennyForThem
    It is a beautiful house! I so wish I could transport it like stone-for-stone and erect it where I live. What is 'wrong' with the area - you said it had 'deteriorated'? If it is that renting (btl) has become more prevalent then I think this affects many areas where there used to be owner-occupiers.

So glad you have had an offer.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 7th Aug 15, 12:03 AM
    • 34,021 Posts
    • 68,652 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    We have now had two offers, but the second one was a joke.

We are going to ask the Agent to try to get the first guy to offer a little more, but not to lose him, and we will accept his offer subject to him obtaining a mortgage.
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 16th Aug 15, 9:56 AM
    • 34,021 Posts
    • 68,652 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    The guy has withdrawn his offer for 'personal reasons'.

We have had one further viewing booked, he didn't turn up the first time, is already rebooked for Friday.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 21st Aug 15, 12:26 PM
    • 34,021 Posts
    • 68,652 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Yay! Another viewing, man viewing obo his mum who is returning from the States. He loves it. Says he is going to recommend his mum takes it and will make a 'sensible' offer.

Excited!

Just been and spent 1000 on furniture in celebration.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 24th Aug 15, 4:46 PM
    • 34,021 Posts
    • 68,652 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Had another viewing from a young family, first-time buyers, who loved it. They want a second viewing with their oldest daughter (11) but have told the EA they are likely to put in an offer.

The man buying obo his mum has not yet put in the offer he said he was going to make.

So potentially two offers, but might end up with none.

We are having some furniture delivered to the bungalow this week so with some we can spare from the house we should have enough to manage and are intending to move in after our hols in September, whether the house is sold or not. At least it will stay tidy for viewings!
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 24th Aug 15, 4:57 PM
    • 34,021 Posts
    • 68,652 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    On a humorous note, I am buying a new number for the house and some letters (A, B and C) for our three sheds

We had one shed, a chalet style one, erected earlier in the summer. This will be my husband's 'hobbies' shed where he will keep all his motorbike stuff and his artist materials. This will be Shed A.

Shed B is being erected next week, just an ordinary style one, this will be for garden tools, power tools and other tools, lawnmower, etc. This will be Shed B.

There is also an old metal shed with no door up a corner, that we were going to demolish, but we have now decided it will be good for things that we need to keep but are not valuable, like paint tins, spare tiles, spare laminate,spare timber etc. It will also be a good base for our cats when we are not in, we can put their beds in there. We have bought two Virginia Creeper plants to scramble over it and we will just keep the doorway and window free, it will look nice when it is covered. This will be Shed C.

Our garden is long and because of the way it is planted we cannot see any of the sheds from the house Shed A is nearest the house behind a large bay bush and the other two are right at the very bottom of the garden, at either side of the garden, and can't be seen because of a lilac bush and an apple tree . They are all in what will be our vegetable garden.

Also our orangery is being started tomorrow, it should take five weeks.

Excited!!
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 24-08-2015 at 5:03 PM.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 27th Aug 15, 3:26 PM
    • 34,021 Posts
    • 68,652 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    WOOHOO

We have an offer from the young couple, higher than the last one we received, they have been checked out by the EA and are proceedable, have mortgage in place, FTBs, so no chain at either end. We have instructed solicitors this morning.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 27th Aug 15, 6:50 PM
    • 27,210 Posts
    • 71,416 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Brilliant news, SDW!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 27th Aug 15, 8:44 PM
    • 34,021 Posts
    • 68,652 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    We are still considering a holiday home. We looked at two apartments in the same block, the first needed too much doing to it, but the second was lovely and needs nothing doing. Just two downsides - it is first floor (we wanted ground) and it is more expensive than we would like, although if it was ground floor we would probably stretch the budget to buy it. The village however, is beautiful and property is always going to cost more than in nearby places. We looked at another apartment while we were there, and although we could have lived with the tiny kitchen, the living area was also tiny, so we discounted it.

Anyway, we have a second viewing in a couple of weeks, then we will decide. We might put in a cheeky offer as it has been for sale for seven months. Here it is:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/35883910
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 27-08-2015 at 8:47 PM.
    • elona
    • By elona 29th Aug 15, 11:52 AM
    • 11,162 Posts
    • 63,546 Thanks
    elona
    SDW

How do you both feel about the outside steps, especially in wet or icy weather?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 29th Aug 15, 12:00 PM
    • 34,021 Posts
    • 68,652 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    SDW

How do you both feel about the outside steps, especially in wet or icy weather?
    Originally posted by elona
    This is one of the things that we are not happy with - still trying to decide whether it is worth the compromise to get a place in that village.
    • Andypandyboy
    • By Andypandyboy 29th Aug 15, 12:09 PM
    • 2,314 Posts
    • 5,976 Thanks
    Andypandyboy
    Could you leaflet the other flats in the block that you would be interested in asking if they are considering selling? Sometimes, it does work. A friend loved a particular block of apartments but the one for sale was too high up so she pushed notes through other doors, and she got one she wanted.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 29th Aug 15, 12:18 PM
    • 34,021 Posts
    • 68,652 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Could you leaflet the other flats in the block that you would be interested in asking if they are considering selling? Sometimes, it does work. A friend loved a particular block of apartments but the one for sale was too high up so she pushed notes through other doors, and she got one she wanted.
    Originally posted by Andypandyboy
    There are only four in the block and we have already looked at one other So only two more (one of which would have the same problem with the steps).

Really the one I would like (location wise) is the ground floor one below the one we looked at. The other ground floor one we have already seen, and as well as needing a lot doing to it, a new property is being built behind it, which means a boundary fence 6 feet from the kitchen window. It is not possible to build behind the flats on the other side of the block .

So yes, I might leaflet the ground floor one
    • davidsdesire
    • By davidsdesire 1st Sep 15, 5:07 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    davidsdesire
    we are also in the process of moving to a home more suitable for aging in place. Our current home has 3 levels and when dh hurt a knee this past winter, he was not thrilled with all those stairs. He is 71 and I am 56 so we will be buying a home that is one level--it will have a full basement but that will be made into guest rooms and entertainment areas and everything that we will need will be on the main floor. We are also making sure we have proper space for a walker/wheelchair if necessary.

Yes, i agree...much better to do it as a choice than a have to.

Congratulations on selling your house!
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 18th Sep 15, 7:13 PM
    • 34,021 Posts
    • 68,652 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    We decided not to buy the apartment in St Florence, although there is one in Tenby that we may look at in a few weeks if it is still on the market.

Our beautiful new orangery is almost finished at the bungalow. It is gorgeous, a new room! We have also begun to move in. When we have got a mattress for the new bed and the Wi-Fi sorted, then we will move in altogether.

House sale progressing, the survey was done yesterday, so will feel better when that is all clear.

I still look At the bungalow and am so happy, it has everything we wanted, we are so lucky.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 22nd Sep 15, 10:53 AM
    • 34,021 Posts
    • 68,652 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I am in one of my 'Aspie' modes today and have been rationalising my Carbon Monoxide Alarms.

I bought one for the bungalow, as we have two woodburning stoves andf a gas boiler. We need one in the hall near the bedrooms (so you can hear it if it goes off while you a re asleep), and a portable one depending upon which room you are in.

As we have three in our house I was going to bring one from there to be the second one for the bungalow. However, the one on the landing started chirping to say it's batteries were flat and when I checked it is out of date in a couple of months. So I have thrown it away, used the portable one in it's place and there is also one between the dining room and kitchen where the relevant appliances are. So that's that house sorted.

I then ordered a new one for the bungalow.

My husband will tell me off. He says I have an obsession with smoke and CO alarms. I supposed I have slightly (I was delighted that we got mains smoke and heat alarms as part of the regulations for the rewiring!), but as I tell him it's better than being burned to death or suffocated in your beds. He doesn't really have an answer to that
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 28th Sep 15, 6:27 AM
    • 34,021 Posts
    • 68,652 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    We are finally moving into the bungalow .

One minor hiccup - our TV will not fit into the place we have allocated for it - too big. Looks like we will have to have a huge one in the bedroom and a smaller one for our main room. Might ask our son if he wants to swop it for his smaller one.

Good news - table fits into the kitchen (we thought it might be too big but it isn't) and looks really nice.

Orangery building finished - my husband is going to put the laminate floor down and then the Conservatory people will come back and fit the skirting boards and do the final finishing touches. It looks great!

The last movers will be our two elderly cats. They are already upset and walking round with their ears back because stuff is disappearing from the house. Hope they will not take too long to settle in!

Hubby is doing most of it on his own as I am dogsitting five miles away.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 28th Sep 15, 8:53 AM
    • 27,210 Posts
    • 71,416 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Good luck and happy new house, SDW!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • dktreesea
    • By dktreesea 28th Sep 15, 9:06 AM
    • 5,552 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    dktreesea
    TBH, I never thought our house was particularly large, it's a Victorian mid-terrace. However, it does have three double bedrooms (one in the loft), a sitting room, a dining room, a large dry cellar its own private access to the rear and a utility area and a long garden. We will have to compromise on space quite a lot.

Seen another one online, bigger than the first, has a small bedroom we could use as a study, also a dining room. Compromise is location; whilst the area is fine, it is out of our comfort zone. But it is near local shops and facilities and on a decent bus route. It's also on the edge of the city bordering the Staffs countryside. (The first one is over the border in Staffordshire). It's much more expensive than the first - we'd have to go into savings to buy it. Maybe that is what we'll need to do.

Might go and look at it.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42807757.html?premiumA=true
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend

My first thought on seeing this is it's not a good idea. It's overlooked by massive high rises behind it.

Edit: Whoops! Sorry about that. Should have read the rest of the thread!
    • dktreesea
    • By dktreesea 28th Sep 15, 9:53 AM
    • 5,552 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    dktreesea
    One half of my family is Welsh. Have you considered North Wales rather than South Wales? Same distance from Wolverhampton and MUCH better weather than the south. If we were living in Wales rather than Scotland, my first choice would be Llandudno. I liked the beach area around Holyhead too, though my daughter commented at the time we were looking that the easiest big city to get to from there was in another country (Dublin!). I wasn't really inth Rhyl. Too much history of flooding problems. Caernarfon looked pretty interesting.

Wherever you decide on though, I definitely recommend going there and staying, just for a few days, first, before buying anything.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,565Posts Today

10,321Users online

Martin's Twitter