Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kpwll
    • By kpwll 18th Jul 14, 10:06 PM
    • 3,871Posts
    • 12,316Thanks
    kpwll
    stop/start
    • 18th Jul 14, 10:06 PM
    stop/start 18th Jul 14 at 10:06 PM
    Can you please tell me if you can turn off or over-ride a stop/start facility on any/all cars with this function? Thank you.
Page 4
  • topdaddy
    topdaddy are you being deliberately thick, a troll or a 5 year old wannabe?
    Originally posted by colino
    Are you always this rude or only when surpassed?
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 20th Jul 14, 4:04 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,736 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Stop/start or a normal iginiton the heater wont function without the engine on. End of.Im laughing at all of you because it displays how poor this forum is .
    Originally posted by topdaddy
    Never take your car to a garage then as all mechanics know that heating does work while using stop/start eg engine not running. I guess I better quit my job both repairing cars and teaching the next generation of mechanics.
  • topdaddy
    Id say that might be best. Maybe the quicker the better
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 20th Jul 14, 4:13 PM
    • 19,766 Posts
    • 12,432 Thanks
    motorguy
    Stop/start or a normal iginiton the heater wont function without the engine on. End of.Im laughing at all of you because it displays how poor this forum is .
    *sigh*

So you've never actually driven a car to see it activate then?

Fans stay on, lights stay on, air con / climate if you have it stays on, radio stays on, sat nav stays on.

I was going to say stop before you embarrass yourself but you're way beyond that now.

stop / start is NOT a "normal" ignition.
    Just because you're offended doesnt mean you're right
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 20th Jul 14, 4:14 PM
    • 19,766 Posts
    • 12,432 Thanks
    motorguy
    Are you always this rude or only when surpassed?
    Under the circumstances i think his is a fair question.
  • topdaddy
    *sigh*

So you've never actually driven a car to see it activate then?

Fans stay on, lights stay on, air con / climate if you have it stays on, radio stays on, sat nav stays on.

I was going to say stop before you embarrass yourself but you're way beyond that now.

stop / start is NOT a "normal" ignition.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    A x6 is an impractical car, clarkson is quite right in what he says and finally heaters dont work like that.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 20-07-2014 at 9:42 PM. Reason: Personal abuse
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 20th Jul 14, 4:22 PM
    • 19,766 Posts
    • 12,432 Thanks
    motorguy
    Id say that might be best. Maybe the quicker the better
    Heres a technical review of how it works

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/engine-stop-start-systems-save-fuel-at-low-cost.html

In the paragraph "What Else Stops?"

"For its eAssist system, GM developed control logic that maintains cabin temperatures for up to 2 minutes when the engine is stopped. After that, the system restarts the engine to keep the climate system working and cabin temperature comfortable.

Ford uses a similar system. Some stand-alone systems simply kick the engine back on whenever the cabin temperature falls above or below the driver's preset limits."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 20th Jul 14, 4:25 PM
    • 19,766 Posts
    • 12,432 Thanks
    motorguy
    Seriously mate, look it up.

The heater stays running for as long as it can, then the engine restarts.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 20-07-2014 at 9:43 PM. Reason: Quoting edited post / Personal abuse
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 20th Jul 14, 4:28 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,736 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Can you then explain to me how my heating in my stop/start fiesta works with the engine off while waiting in traffic?

Also, the wording below is copied directly from vauxhalls own information page concerning their version of stop/start, I think once you read it you will need to write them a letter informing them they are wrong.

An Autostop is indicated by the needle at the 'Autostop' position in the tachometer. During an Autostop, the heating and brake performance will be maintained.

It also states further on that when in stop/start for longer periods the heating will to into power saver mode and eventually stop when the car is too cool.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 20-07-2014 at 9:43 PM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 20th Jul 14, 4:43 PM
    • 12,351 Posts
    • 7,010 Thanks
    DUTR
    Can you then explain to me how my heating in my stop/start fiesta works with the engine off while waiting in traffic?

Also, the wording below is copied directly from vauxhalls own information page concerning their version of stop/start, I think once you read it you will need to write them a letter informing them they are wrong.

An Autostop is indicated by the needle at the 'Autostop' position in the tachometer. During an Autostop, the heating and brake performance will be maintained.

It also states further on that when in stop/start for longer periods the heating will to into power saver mode and eventually stop when the car is too cool.
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    How it works has been explained in the thread, some may have skipped physics lessons at school, your cup of tea still remains warm after 2 mins, when the convenience consumption demands then the engine will restart if the car has not already restarted, even on a cold winter morning, the car is not going to be blowing cold air in the time a filtered traffic light has run it's sequence.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 20th Jul 14, 4:46 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,736 Thanks
    GwylimT
    How it works has been explained in the thread, some may have skipped physics lessons at school, your cup of tea still remains warm after 2 mins, when the convenience consumption demands then the engine will restart if the car has not already restarted, even on a cold winter morning, the car is not going to be blowing cold air in the time a filtered traffic light has run it's sequence.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    I know how it works, but according to topdaddy it's impossible, so I'm hoping he can put me right as clearly me car is either then a one off, or I'm completely bonkers and I simply imagine the heating is on.
    • F1F93
    • By F1F93 20th Jul 14, 4:47 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    F1F93
    And in fact, you got them both wrong, because all of my cars still emit hot air for a few minutes after turning the engine off and none of my cars have stop start. The only difference is that my cars won't restart themselves to keep the temperature right, which cars with stop start will.

Actually, he is arguing a lot better than you. Also, he is assuming you don't have any experience as you have not mentioned any. Perhaps you would like to post your experience of start stop technology? Multiple people have posted their experiences of driving start-stop cars, I have posted my own experience of non start-stop cars which backs their logic and people have posted extracts from user manuals. We have even had mechanics who have worked with these cars post their opinions. You have posted no evidence whatsoever. Please do so now for us to take you seriously.

Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 20-07-2014 at 9:45 PM. Reason: Quoting edited post / Personal abuse
    • anotherbaldrick
    • By anotherbaldrick 20th Jul 14, 4:51 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 1,250 Thanks
    anotherbaldrick
    You have to remember that some come on this forum and put up posts to appear stupid because they actually like the abuse they get.
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! Iíll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 20th Jul 14, 5:05 PM
    • 12,351 Posts
    • 7,010 Thanks
    DUTR
    I know how it works, but according to topdaddy it's impossible, so I'm hoping he can put me right as clearly me car is either then a one off, or I'm completely bonkers and I simply imagine the heating is on.
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    Probably the way he worded it wasn't ideal, when he is saying there is no heat generated, that is partly correct, however the issue isn't heat as such , it is if the cabin temperature can be maintained, after all the heat generated by the heating system is not infinite and is regulated in any instance, the coolant temperature will be at around 90c, the cabin temperature will be set to 30c max, so quite a bit of overhead.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 20th Jul 14, 5:10 PM
    • 19,766 Posts
    • 12,432 Thanks
    motorguy
    Probably the way he worded it wasn't ideal
    Thats a bit of an understatement.

Hes basically went for the line "it doesnt work like that"

But we're idiots, because he cant see our viewpoint.
    Last edited by motorguy; 20-07-2014 at 5:13 PM.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 20th Jul 14, 5:18 PM
    • 12,351 Posts
    • 7,010 Thanks
    DUTR
    Thats a bit of an understatement.

Hes basically went for the line "it doesnt work like that"

But we're idiots, because he cant see our viewpoint.
    heh heh , I have come to learn that of some forum users, sometimes it takes a big character to stand corrected, especially as those of us who have experienced climate control know even the fan speed is reduced once the cabin set temperature is attained.

Trouble is modern cars operate somewhat much more effeciently than 20 years ago, I hear that on the VWs, once parked the coolant is still pumped around the engine block. The latest VWs are a bit of a tech fest. Even the steering is no longer direct on many cars.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 20th Jul 14, 5:24 PM
    • 19,766 Posts
    • 12,432 Thanks
    motorguy
    heh heh , I have come to learn that of some forum users, sometimes it takes a big character to stand corrected, especially as those of us who have experienced climate control know even the fan speed is reduced once the cabin set temperature is attained.

Trouble is modern cars operate somewhat much more effeciently than 20 years ago, I hear that on the VWs, once parked the coolant is still pumped around the engine block. The latest VWs are a bit of a tech fest. Even the steering is no longer direct on many cars.
    Yeah generally though when hes clearly in the wrong he just abandons a thread rather than admit it.

Which happens a lot with him.
  • topdaddy
    Yeah generally though when hes clearly in the wrong he just abandons a thread rather than admit it.

Which happens a lot with him.
    Really? Got a link?
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 20th Jul 14, 5:31 PM
    • 6,227 Posts
    • 11,736 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Dont make that comment a broad stroke, it was a prescion comment
    Would you care to comment on vauxhalls very own definition of heating systems and stop start, or shall I find you an email address for them so you can inform them that they are infact wrong about how their cars work?
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 20th Jul 14, 5:42 PM
    • 6,705 Posts
    • 4,644 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    NO don't fee him let him think he's right!.

but we all know he's wrong.
    Last edited by atrixblue.-MFR-.; 20-07-2014 at 5:46 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

936Posts Today

7,678Users online

Martin's Twitter