Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    littlejaffa
    0 WOW
    wombling in tesco - what's safe
    • 5th Mar 07, 5:14 PM
    0 WOW
    wombling in tesco - what's safe 5th Mar 07 at 5:14 PM
    I've seen a few posts on here about wombling but now i search for the info nothings coming up.

A few people were saying they'd had letters from tesco saying stop wombling, can you tell me how much you get away with before this letter arrives?

I've asked tesco by e-mail & phone for a 2nd card on my account for my OH and it's not arrived so he's keeping receipts for me to credit, i've also (properly) wombled 2 others, my worry is i'll get to an amount and get the nasty womble letter.

thanks
    xx
    Donít ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
    Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
Page 3
  • ramellous1
    [QUOTE=Idiophreak]
    So what happens when a bunch of wombles skew that data so that it doesn't mean anything? It becomes worthless to tesco. Are tesco going to keep paying a few pence for useless data? Maybe not.

/QUOTE]

How much of a problem do you think this is really for the colossus that is Tesco. 1 out of every pound spent on the high st is in Tesco.

According to Tesco chief executive, Sir Terry Leahy, 'Our market share of UK retailing is 12.5 per cent - that leaves 87.5 per cent to go after. Tesco's turnover is £30 billion, more than double that of Sainsbury and Asda, and it is bigger than many countries.

30 billion turnover and 2 billion profits with 87.5% of the market to go for. Do you really really think Tesco are concerned about a few MSE'ers wangling a some miniscule extra clubcard money. Do you know what £2 billion is? Can you visualise it? And it grows every year.

Actually all these Tesco threads are free publicity for them. We spend money in Tesco while we look for a till spit or a discarded receipt. This is money not spent in Asda or Sainsburys so their market share goes even higher. Look at their share price. Yes we really are taking them to the cleaners are'nt we? Come on now, get real.
  • laura_j_2k
    it cannot be classed as 'obtaining money by deception'. That's just ridicolous.

there may be a clause in Tesco's T&C's about transferring points but it's hardly a fraud issue. You will probably just get your card confiscated and thrown off the scheme, they are unlikely to take you to court it's just laughable.
    As for the deception part, if the cashier is aware that you have a receipt from a 3rd party then you are not deceiving them.
    where's the fraud?
  • dervish
    "Wombling" is fraudulent.
    by MarkyMarkD
    Agreed. It is theft.

Not only is this legally bad but it is also morally wrong too.

What will we see next on this forum - ways to scam pensioners?!
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 7th Mar 07, 1:14 PM
    • 26,981 Posts
    • 78,788 Thanks
    jackieb
    Agreed. It is theft.

by dervish
    You're comparing pensioners to a multi-million profit making company?

I don't do it but I don't see the harm in it. It's not like the points are getting added twice. They were just thrown away.
    • MarkyMarkD
    • By MarkyMarkD 7th Mar 07, 1:38 PM
    • 9,795 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    MarkyMarkD
    Laura

If you read my post, I said that if you LIE or IMPLY that it was your receipt, that would be fraudulent. If you tell the staff it's someone else's and you are wombling the points, that's not fraudulent.

And "it cannot be classed as obtaining money by deception". Grow up! It is obtaining something of value (points) by deception (telling the staff you "forgot" to claim the points on YOUR purchases).

Just because you are unlikely to be taken to court for something doesn't make it right.
  • zippybungle
    Agreed. It is theft.

by dervish
    I'm sorry, but that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard

Zippy x
    Busy working Mum of 3
  • ramellous1

by dervish
    Probably not, but let's start with this if you are so bothered about Tesco and morals, responsibility and loveliness.

Selling whale, dolphin and porpoise meat
    Through its subsidiary C Two- Network, Tesco sells whale, dolphin and porpoise (cetacean) meat, both fresh and in cans. In 2003 the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) carried out a survey which discovered that all the canned cetacean products were sourced from Japan's two major whaling companies, Nissui and Kyokuyo. These two companies own the majority of shares in Kyodo Senpaku, the company who leases whaling boats to the Japanese Institute of Cetacean Research so they can carry out Japan's so-called 'scientific' whaling policy.

The scientific whaling policy was implemented in 1987 after a moratorium banned commercial whaling. Now around 700 whales are killed each year in the Antarctic and North Pacific in the name of 'scientific research', including minke whales, Bryde's whales, sei whales and sperm whales. All the meat and blubber is then sold commercially within Japan. Up to 22,000 dolphins, porpoises and small whales are also killed every year around the Japanese coast in unregulated and unsustainable hunts.
  • laura_j_2k
    Laura

If you read my post, I said that if you LIE or IMPLY that it was your receipt, that would be fraudulent. If you tell the staff it's someone else's and you are wombling the points, that's not fraudulent.

And "it cannot be classed as obtaining money by deception". Grow up! It is obtaining something of value (points) by deception (telling the staff you "forgot" to claim the points on YOUR purchases).

Just because you are unlikely to be taken to court for something doesn't make it right.
    by MarkyMarkD

I had a right laugh at your response. You obviously took my post very personally. Some people really need to get a life.

It is NOT obtaining money by deception - I can assure you.
    Also, I think you should read my post again. I did not say that it was right because it does not get to court. If I did, then I would not be able to work in my profession.
    In my line of work I deal with a number of fraudulent cases that are far more serious than 'wombling' tesco points, and they are often just written off.
    What I am trying to say is - it is highly unlikely that you will go to court or get into trouble with the law.
    I would seriously suggest you think before writing abusive posts, I do not appreciate being told to grow up by someone that doesn't even know me.
  • ramellous1
    Agreed. It is theft.

by dervish
    If you found a winning lottery ticket on the floor and cashed it in would that be theft? If you found a £5 note on the floor and spent it would that be theft?

A till receipt is the property of the original purchaser. On that receipt he has the opportunity to aquire clubcard points. If he throws it away what is the difference between it and a lottery ticket or a fiver?
    • artydoll
    • By artydoll 7th Mar 07, 2:52 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 11,411 Thanks
    artydoll
    Theft?
    Agreed. It is theft.

by dervish

If it is morally wrong,this pensioner doesn.t give a fig .
    I.m quite happy to womble a few extra points to give me extra clubcard vouchers ,makes my pension go a little further.What.s the harm in that?
  • laura_j_2k
    If you found a winning lottery ticket on the floor and cashed it in would that be theft? If you found a £5 note on the floor and spent it would that be theft?

A till receipt is the property of the original purchaser. On that receipt he has the opportunity to aquire clubcard points. If he throws it away what is the difference between it and a lottery ticket or a fiver?
    by ramellous1

But surely if the person throws it away it is no longer their property. If the person stood in front of me threw a fiver on the floor and I knew they had thrown it away on purpose, I would not hesitate to spend it. Also, if a person stood in front of me had a winning lottery ticket and threw it away, i would not hesitate to cash it in.
  • Timmne
    The argument that screwing Tesco over because it makes £2b profit per year is absoultely ridiculous!!

Why does it make it less wrong to misuse schemes offered by Tesco just becuase it's so profitable? Would it be wrong on a company that makes £1b? What about £20,000? Where's the line that this argument stops being used?

Tesco's NP% is 5.66% which means that for every £1 you spend there, £0.0566 ends up being profit. If you go into a Tesco with handfulls of coupons/wombled points/R&R products, Tesco are probably making a loss on your shop - it's only because there are millions of sales each day at Tesco made by people that pay their way that they end up making money.

Like I said in my earlier post; Tesco don't like being taken for mugs (although I take Stebiz's point) so they'll get rid of these schemes for that reason rather than financial ones.
  • ramellous1
    Tesco taking coupons mean Tesco is screwing it's suppliers.
    Tesco having the misprices to warrant an R&R means Tesco is screwing thousands of customers.
    Tesco selling whale and dolphin meat means Tesco is screwing nature.
    Does my 150 clubcard points that were available to be taken by an original purchaser who did not want them screw anyone?

If Tesco stopped all of their promotional activities that are actually a cheap data collection ruse then a lot of shoppers would use Asda cos they are cheaper anyway....
  • ramellous1
    But surely if the person throws it away it is no longer their property. If the person stood in front of me threw a fiver on the floor and I knew they had thrown it away on purpose, I would not hesitate to spend it. Also, if a person stood in front of me had a winning lottery ticket and threw it away, i would not hesitate to cash it in.
    by laura_j_2k
    Laura, you are right. That is what I am saying.
    • stebiz
    • By stebiz 7th Mar 07, 6:53 PM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 32,660 Thanks
    stebiz
    heard bout this on the radio......reckon this is normal practice for a lot of retailers not just supermarkets......i dont feel like a mug, i just enjoy buying things i need, handing over as many coupons as i dare and watching my points balance rocket.....
    btw, i always enjoy reading ur posts stebiz....
    by floydy
    Keep it up Floydy - we may not be able to beat Tesco but we can certainly keep their profits down - even if it is only a small amount.

Stebiz
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
    • stebiz
    • By stebiz 7th Mar 07, 7:05 PM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 32,660 Thanks
    stebiz
    Tesco taking coupons mean Tesco is screwing it's suppliers.
    Tesco having the misprices to warrant an R&R means Tesco is screwing thousands of customers.
    Tesco selling whale and dolphin meat means Tesco is screwing nature.
    Does my 150 clubcard points that were available to be taken by an original purchaser who did not want them screw anyone?

If Tesco stopped all of their promotional activities that are actually a cheap data collection ruse then a lot of shoppers would use Asda cos they are cheaper anyway....
    by ramellous1
    Must admit I do 'USE' Tesco more these day. I don't have any loyalty to them so why call it a loyalty card I don't know. I will get what I can as cheap as I can using coupons, points etc. I actually dislike the way they have muscled their way in on the market. I know some on here will love them and that is fair enough. If Tesco wanted to help more they'd give computers to schools. Instead my daughters school has had to save up all computer vouchers from last year to add to this years - just to get 2 digital cameras. The amount spent by parents last year in the school, in order to get these coupons - a mere £200,000. As for the excess clubcard points what about automatically giving them to charity etc? No I guess they don't want to help that much!!! :rolleyes:

Stebiz
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
    • paws17
    • By paws17 9th Mar 07, 2:25 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    paws17
    Wombles of the world unite against this moral tyranny!
    Laura

Originally posted by MarkyMarkD
    Did you know that there's a certain major supermarket we all love to hate who often have "computers for schools" campaigns where - wait for it - schools who haven't spent any money in this supermarket get to claim lots of computer equipment by "fraudulently" redeeming lots of vouchers which other "criminal elements" have knowingly passed on to them.....

So if some kind soul chooses to throw me their "small change" by kindly leaving their uncollected points for me to pick up - and thereby keeping Mr T's shop forecourts free of litter for them into the bargain - then that's a matter for me and that customer to be concerned about, thank you. Mr T's already got his money, the customer has their shopping and has voluntarily chosen to pass the benefits that were rightfully theirs on to me. Mr T loses nothing - most of the benefits of the Clubcard scheme are paid for by the participants in any case - and if they get me and my family to go to their "Sealife Centre" for half-price when we may not have gone at all at the full price, then everyone gains.

However, I take it that some of you have never collected aluminium cans for recycling for pennies or stamps for guide-dogs with Blue Peter or taken "empties" back to the off-licence to get deposits back on old pop or beer bottles that were abandoned in hedges...

Preserve us all from the antics of online bullies and self appointed legal & moral experts!
  • Timmne
    my daughters school has had to save up all computer vouchers from last year to add to this years - just to get 2 digital cameras. The amount spent by parents last year in the school, in order to get these coupons - a mere £200,000.
    Stebiz
    Originally posted by stebiz
    Agreed they didn't get a lot for the £200,000 spent, but surely it's more than they would have got from ASDA/Morrisons/Waitrose/Sainsbury's/Co-op/Lidl/Aldi etc etc....
  • ramellous1
    Agreed they didn't get a lot for the £200,000 spent, but surely it's more than they would have got from ASDA/Morrisons/Waitrose/Sainsbury's/Co-op/Lidl/Aldi etc etc....
    Originally posted by Timmne
    If they had spent £200,000 in Asda,Lidl or Aldi they would have had a hell of a lot more to show for it in their shopping trolley.
    • MarkyMarkD
    • By MarkyMarkD 9th Mar 07, 8:23 PM
    • 9,795 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    MarkyMarkD
    I had a right laugh at your response. You obviously took my post very personally. Some people really need to get a life.

It is NOT obtaining money by deception - I can assure you.
    Also, I think you should read my post again. I did not say that it was right because it does not get to court. If I did, then I would not be able to work in my profession.
    In my line of work I deal with a number of fraudulent cases that are far more serious than 'wombling' tesco points, and they are often just written off.
    What I am trying to say is - it is highly unlikely that you will go to court or get into trouble with the law.
    I would seriously suggest you think before writing abusive posts, I do not appreciate being told to grow up by someone that doesn't even know me.
    Originally posted by laura_j_2k
    I don't take anyone's posts on MSE personally. Taking posts personally would be to use expressions like "some people really need to get a life".

And to accuse me of being abusive, I think you would need to understand what "abusive" means.

It would also help, just to get back to the original subject for a moment, to understand what "obtaining money by deception" means. It means obtaining money (or things of value) by deception (i.e. deceiving the other party into giving you something to which you are not entitled).

For you to claim that "wombling" is not "claiming money by deception" is what was laughable, not my comments on the subject.

Standards of morality, and legality, are not dependent on monetary value. The fact that commercial reality means that many fraudulent cases are dropped doesn't affect that. Right is right, and wrong is wrong.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,647Posts Today

7,567Users online

Martin's Twitter