Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    littlejaffa
    0 WOW
    wombling in tesco - what's safe
    • 5th Mar 07, 5:14 PM
    0 WOW
    wombling in tesco - what's safe 5th Mar 07 at 5:14 PM
    I've seen a few posts on here about wombling but now i search for the info nothings coming up.

A few people were saying they'd had letters from tesco saying stop wombling, can you tell me how much you get away with before this letter arrives?

I've asked tesco by e-mail & phone for a 2nd card on my account for my OH and it's not arrived so he's keeping receipts for me to credit, i've also (properly) wombled 2 others, my worry is i'll get to an amount and get the nasty womble letter.

thanks
    xx
    Donít ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
    Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
Page 2
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 6th Mar 07, 12:04 PM
    • 17,148 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    hehe, i use to do this at boots many years ago before they changed the policy

I did have a hidden advantage - i worked on the till and would collect recipts left by customers. Hmm free lunches
  • Loop
    I got my 1st womble today!!! just under 100 points too! I never pick up recipts on the floor, only if they are left in a trolley thats near me or the one im using etc...tmy store are superhot on rubbish so its not easy to do!
    Crazy Nutters Club Member 003
  • Timmne
    Hi ev1 - I would just like to add that my husband buys items and keeps his receipts so I can then add them onto our acc (I only have 1 clubcard) - so there are genuine people who have their points added this way!!
    by babymoneyblagger

There are, but there won't be soon when Tesco decide to pull the policy of adding points on later at customers' requests. Again, the genuine will be penalised because of the greedy....
    • A little stressed!!
    • By A little stressed!! 6th Mar 07, 1:32 PM
    • 1,995 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    A little stressed!!
    ............whatever!
  • Timmne
    Whatever..... yes, of course :rolleyes: .

It happened to R&R, so it's not unlikely. Tesco don't do things necessarily to stop them losing money, they do things to stop people taking them for mugs and it usually impacts on the people that use these things in the way they were intended.
    • stebiz
    • By stebiz 6th Mar 07, 1:45 PM
    • 6,290 Posts
    • 32,660 Thanks
    stebiz
    Tesco don't like getting taken for mugs - and neither do I but after reading this article at the weekend I feel like a MUG.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=439848&in_page_id=1770#Sta rtComments

Sorry if I'm a bit off topic but my morals and Tesco don't go hand in hand.

Stebiz
    Last edited by stebiz; 06-03-2007 at 2:37 PM.
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
    • floydy
    • By floydy 6th Mar 07, 2:47 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    floydy
    Tesco don't like getting taken for mugs - and neither do I but after reading this article at the weekend I feel like a MUG.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=439848&in_page_id=1770#Sta rtComments

Sorry if I'm a bit off topic but my morals and Tesco don't go hand in hand.

Stebiz
    by stebiz
    heard bout this on the radio......reckon this is normal practice for a lot of retailers not just supermarkets......i dont feel like a mug, i just enjoy buying things i need, handing over as many coupons as i dare and watching my points balance rocket.....
    btw, i always enjoy reading ur posts stebiz....
  • PabloNeruda
    If you LIE or IMPLY that YOU forgot to get the clubcard points credited on your own purchases (using receipts that you have wombled) then you are obtaining money by deception.

Really, it's pathetic that people think it's legal OR MORAL to do this.
    by MarkyMarkD
    Agreed. Some people really have no shame.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 6th Mar 07, 11:15 PM
    • 80,499 Posts
    • 94,922 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    OK, I have no shame........:rolleyes:

I got a wombling letter last year and have not wombled much at all since. Certainly wouldn't bother for under 20 points, but I would always pick up an extra-points offer (till-spit) as these seem safe to use by anyone.

In fact I did not womble receipts very often, but sometimes asked for several small ones to be added. When I got the letter and thought about it I realised that I had been asking for points to be added to my card for transactions that had taken place in the same store around the same time that I had used my card. So clearly I hadn't forgotten it that day.

So I got another card in OH's name. Now, if I found a nice receipt I would have no qualms about adding the points to the card I DIDN'T use that day, or to my Mum's card for which I carry a keyfob.

Sad? Maybe. But Tesco points (mostly earned legitimately I might add) have paid for most of our Summer Holiday this year and we couldn't have afforded to go otherwise (first trip abroad for the kiddies, thanks Mr T!).
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 06-03-2007 at 11:18 PM.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • ramellous1
    Tesco are Money Making Experts, this site is Money Saving Expert. Read the side of this page, it says "consumer revenge"
    I am amazed at the amount of posts by people sticking up for firms like Tesco. Take R&R, How many thousands of people have been ripped off by misprices instore? Tesco make over £2 billion profit every year. Imagine that, £2 BILLION, and people spend time castigating folk and calling them pathetic for managing to wangle a couple of quid extra on their clubcard. Tesco want you to have this card, it gathers vast amounts of data they can use in their business. It is for their benefit not ours and they throw us a few pence payment for this valuable data.

My local takes half of my spend in vouchers even if I do not buy the product, so Tesco are defrauding the coupon issuers but who whines about that.
  • littlejaffa
    Please answer my query...someone...anyone..please?
    thank you everyone for your comments on my morals and recommendations of how to avoid wombling, but as yet no-one has actaully answered the question - the reason for my post.

If anyone can tell me how much wombling is to much, what generates a letter from tesco please tell me.

in answer to previous sugestions i get a keyfob or use a card in store, i've tried desperatly to do both, it's been 4months since i asked tesco to add points from an instore card to my main account and they can't manage it and sound surprised whenever i remind them i'm still waiting - i've given up on that.
    likewise keyfobs and 2nd cards repeatedly ordered never turn up.
    Tesco seem to be utterly incompetant with this.

As i said we don't spend enough to get 2 seperate cards, i got a £5 last quarter on my card, if that had been spread accross 2 cards i'd have got nothing till next quarter.

If anyone can tell me how much wombling is to much, what generates a letter from tesco please tell me.
    Last edited by littlejaffa; 07-03-2007 at 8:03 AM.
    Donít ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
    Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
  • PabloNeruda
    Sad? Maybe. But Tesco points (mostly earned legitimately I might add) have paid for most of our Summer Holiday this year and we couldn't have afforded to go otherwise (first trip abroad for the kiddies, thanks Mr T!).
    by Coupon-mad
    Using fraud. Well done.
  • ramellous1
    "The Tesco Clubcard scheme is only for personal and consumer use. Tesco Clubcard Points and Vouchers cannot be transferred, sold or in any way traded. They may only be pooled by members with the same postal address."

It's amazing how I find so many many of my partner's and kid's receipts on Tesco's floor. I keep telling them to be more careful cos I get sick of piicking them up. :rolleyes:

PabloNeruda, I hope you are not selling till spits on ebay mind or you may find yourself in an everlasting fiery hell for breaching Tesco's T&C
    Last edited by ramellous1; 07-03-2007 at 8:40 AM.
  • countingthepennys
    tesco clubcard
    Hi
    Sorry if im going off thread here but can anyone tell me if you can use another clubcard at your address ie my husband would like one as i was under the impression that you could only have one per household thats why they issued the keyfobs??
  • ramellous1
    Countingpennies.

Yes, you can have multiple cards at the same address. My partner and I have a card each.
    • LittleBill
    • By LittleBill 7th Mar 07, 10:32 AM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 4,598 Thanks
    LittleBill
    thank you everyone for your comments on my morals and recommendations of how to avoid wombling, but as yet no-one has actaully answered the question - the reason for my post.

by littlejaffa
    Hi Littlejaffa ...

I have not read through the whole thread so i am not sure if they have posted .. but Coupon-mad said once that she had had a letter .... which I am sure she will not mind me repeating ... and I believe she said it was because she had applied so many small receipts to her account ... 2 or 5's etc ... They simply said it was better to use her Clubcard and/or did she need a replacement .... If you PM her she may be able to clarify ... but I believe the letter was not a threat of action ...

In the end i suspect it is how long is a piece of string .... I have been adding wombled points to my accounts ... I have 4 ... for over 5 months now ... I do not add all the small ones and I only add about 3 to 6 per week in batches of three at a time ... to be honest I tend to bump into things if I stare at the ground too long ... I would say as long as you do not 'abuse' a single card with 20 odd per week you will not get a letter ...

There are as well plenty of other ways of adding points ... points vouchers for Tesco Clubs ... Bonus till-spit points ... either wombled or 'earned' ... Bonus points for online shopping .. TPF and Green Recycling ..... Most of these too can be combined with use of Tesco, Manufacturers and Newsaper and Magazine money-off coupons to lower your bills to boot ....

It seems strange that you cannot apply for a second card ... you could always call Tesco on the number on the paper Clubcard leaflet that you get instore and set it up that way .... or do it online ... 2 I would say is better than one and be sure to sign up for all the Tesco Clubs ... Food, Baby & HL ... on both cards ... always remembering to state when you apply that you wish to accept offers from Tesco or they will send nothing ...

Hope this Helps ....
    Last edited by LittleBill; 07-03-2007 at 10:37 AM.
    LittleBill ...

"The riches of a man can be measured by what he can do without"

January 2014 GC: £99.98 / £100
    / February 2014 GC: £198.72 / £200
    March
    2014 GC: £0 / £200 - NSD: 0/31
  • zippybungle
    by littlejaffa
    I don't think anyone will know the exact answer to your question. How long is a piece of string?:rolleyes:

My advice would be to only go for receipts with at least 20/30 points or more. Don't bother picking ones up with 1/2/3/4 points on - not worth the hassle imo - you will be drawing too much attention to yourself.

I only get points added on approx once a week - sometimes every other week. I usually hand over 2 receipts at a time or maybe 3 at the very most. I also try to go to a different CS person each time (so my face doesn't get too familiar )

I have 2 Clubcards, so I don't just get them all added onto the 1 card.

I'm really surprised at how some people have reacted to 'wombling' - imo we are doing Tesco a favour by helping them remove litter from Car Parks and Trolleys

Happy wombling!

Zippy x
    Busy working Mum of 3
    • Idiophreak
    • By Idiophreak 7th Mar 07, 11:22 AM
    • 11,635 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    Idiophreak
    Imagine that, £2 BILLION, and people spend time castigating folk and calling them pathetic for managing to wangle a couple of quid extra on their clubcard. Tesco want you to have this card, it gathers vast amounts of data they can use in their business. It is for their benefit not ours and they throw us a few pence payment for this valuable data.
    by ramellous1
    The clubcard is for gathering data - agreed.
    So what happens when a bunch of wombles skew that data so that it doesn't mean anything? It becomes worthless to tesco. Are tesco going to keep paying a few pence for useless data? Maybe not.

In any case, if this is a rising trend, there's no doubt that teso will stop adding points to cards from receipts.

So, when you're busy wangling your couple of extra quid on your clubcard, have a thought for the rest of us on MSE who'll pay for it next time we forget our card.
  • zippybungle
    Don't forget your card then!
    If you do, then get a Clubcard application, which includes a paper Clubcard which you can use straight away.

Zippy x
    Busy working Mum of 3
    • LittleBill
    • By LittleBill 7th Mar 07, 11:31 AM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 4,598 Thanks
    LittleBill
    So, when you're busy wangling your couple of extra quid on your clubcard, have a thought for the rest of us on MSE who'll pay for it next time we forget our card.
    by Idiophreak
    Sorry ... but I really don't understand your point ... How do you pay?
    LittleBill ...

"The riches of a man can be measured by what he can do without"

January 2014 GC: £99.98 / £100
    / February 2014 GC: £198.72 / £200
    March
    2014 GC: £0 / £200 - NSD: 0/31
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,502Posts Today

7,412Users online

Martin's Twitter