Dla to be replaced by pip

Options

Comments

• pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    hrafndot wrote: »
    If, however, you have a mental health issue or a difficult to diagnose illness, then advocacy is definitely needed. Remember how long it took the medical establishment to acknowledge ME.

I do think it is a worrying time for those with mental illnesses or hard to diagnose conditions, with regards claiming disability benefits :(
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • pwales_2
    pwales_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    Options
    vision2009 wrote: »
    "i think they like to scaremonger to get people worrried so they pay the money to get the solution to the problem that is not there...."
    Errr time to wake up.
    The vile government are only interested in themselves. They have become masters at "moving the goalposts" They are disgusting parasites who take pleasure in inflicting suffering on the population.
    like ive said in another post i am sitting back on this white paper.at first is was on edge about it but why? , i even moaned about it yesterday but i have had time to think....
    i have spinal cord injury in a wheel chair and all the other nonsence that goes with spinal cord damage. i think i will be ok with p.i.p, after all i got dla indefinate with no problem, i aint going to get better, well untill stem cell technology is alowed and then if i can walk agin i will happily come off the new p.i.p.
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    You have obviously not had much contact with mothers who are faced with DLA renewal forms every 18 months for their disabled child. I have just finished helping a mum with a child who cannot be left unattended at any time, day or night. She completed the form with tears streaming down her face, over a period of weeks because she also has two toddlers and finding time to look after them all and see to the DLA form was a nightmare (she does have a husband, but he is recovering from a stroke so can't help much). This is the second time in 18 months we have gone through this exercise - supported both times by the child's consultants. DLA was awarded on renewal, but again only for 18 months.

I am sure that there are lots of other people, adults and children, who are required to complete regular renewal forms. I don't, for one minute disagree with the need to carry out regular assessments, but I do object to the implication that DLA is an easy, hassle free, benefit.

I recently helped a friend fill in the DLA forms for her daughter. Yes it took a week because we did a bit a day. It was extremely repetitious, the same answers just worded slightly differently. However there are a lot of tick boxes so they don't take long.

The child was awarded HRC and LRM so needs a great deal of care and I am fully aware that her mother found writing it all down distressing but she has lived with and dealt with her daughter's issues for almost 12 years so none of it was exactly a surprise.
  • hrafndot
    hrafndot Posts: 2,155 Forumite
    Options
    I think you have missed the point.

What people are trying to point out is the distress suffered by people WHILE they are filling in the form because they realise the importance of getting it right and fear the consequence of getting is wrong.

I would never advocate doing it yourself on your own without experienced guidance.

You will beg to differ.

It's very difficult to gauge the levels of distress other people are going through.
    Thank heavens for neighbourhood advice centres and the CAB, long may they continue.
  • pwales_2
    Options
    i did my forms on my own just told them all i knew then docs told them the rest,
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree krisskross, if someone has a genuine disability they should not mind if it is checked upon occasionally.

I already get checked upon by my GP when I need more medication or it stops working and both my consultants. They know far more about my disabilities than what DWP do.
    but I do object to the implication that DLA is an easy, hassle free, benefit.

Exactly. I've struggled to get it. The DMs arguments consisting of "your aids should help" - if they did, I wouldn't be partially sighted & "you've had it since birth" - I haven't and having it from a young age doesn't make it any easier. I am still disabled and have care and mobility needs, despite having problems since I was a baby.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello -

I receive long term DLA middle rate for care and lower rate for mobility.
    I am aged 63 and retired so not looking for work (and not able to work.) Does anyone know if this new PIP will affect me? I find these proposed changes very stressful.

Thank you.
  • pwales_2
    Options
    Hello -

I receive long term DLA middle rate for care and lower rate for mobility.
    I am aged 63 and retired so not looking for work (and not able to work.) Does anyone know if this new PIP will affect me? I find these proposed changes very stressful.

Thank you.

thats what they are stil deciding on at the moment definatly working age but considering children and oap
    its only at the stage of conseltation
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    I already get checked upon by my GP when I need more medication or it stops working and both my consultants. They know far more about my disabilities than what DWP do.

But the GP and the Consultant are not paying your Benefits. Do you really think that receiving DLA should just be a matter of you saying, 'I'm disabled, her's a Dr's note'? Also some disabilities (my son's girlfriend springs to mind) don't require seeing a Dr regularly.

Of course the DWP have to check.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hrafndot wrote: »
    I think you have missed the point.

What people are trying to point out is the distress suffered by people WHILE they are filling in the form because they realise the importance of getting it right and fear the consequence of getting is wrong.

A very telling statement.

Not 'they realise the importance of getting it accurate' but right. Why? Do they have to get it right to ensure that the claim is successful rather than get it accurate to reflect the true state of affairs where the claim may be questionable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure