Blue Badge

Options

Comments

• pwales_2
    pwales_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    Options
    FabSascha wrote: »
    I can't imagine there would ever be a system that works flawlessly for everyone and there certainly isn't now. Like I said in an earlier post, it would be a case of meeting some - if not all - of the criteria for various different badges, which I would guess would be established by a medical assessment just like it is now (I know that you don't need a medical assessment to receive a blue badge, but you do to receive DLA higher-rate mobility which indirectly ensures you receive a blue badge). So in the case of your father, I'm assuming the problems he has that means he requires both extra wide parking and a space close to entrances would be medically examined and ensure he's eligible for a badge that reflects both these needs.

I personally would need extra space and to be near entrances, but I wouldn't need access to dropped kerbs as once I'm actually out of the car I can just about cope with things like a couple of steps etc.

Of course all this is following the wildly optimistic belief that those who could cope with slightly less eligibility would be comfortable admitting to that and unfortunately I'm inclined to believe that most wouldn't come forward with that information.

this would be the problem which is why the compulsory medicals should be brought in asap
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    FabSascha wrote: »
    (I know that you don't need a medical assessment to receive a blue badge, but you do to receive DLA higher-rate mobility which indirectly ensures you receive a blue badge).

Do you think so? I never had a medical exam for DLA - it was for Incapacity - and I'm in receipt of HRM for severe discomfort purposes (I can't walk a step without pain).
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • ianian99
    ianian99 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You have been advised that you may be able to get a badge NOT you cant walk because of your illness.
    I'd put you down as a FAKEr as you put it
  • ianian99
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    You sound so ignorant! I take it you've been out with someone with mental health problems who is in the middle of a meltdown? It's not nice and they do need to get to somwhere safe.

Should someone in that condition be driving?
    I hope I dont come acrooss someone with mental health issues driving a car in the middle of a MELTDOWN
  • ash4becks
    ash4becks Posts: 589 Forumite
    Options
    ianian99 wrote: »
    I hope I dont come acrooss someone with mental health issues driving a car in the middle of a MELTDOWN

well i dont drive yet, but i do have mental health issues one of which is post trumatic stress and depression but i was sexually assualted and if something triggers that like if i see who did this to me then i panic and want to get somewhere safe ie my car this is one of the resaons why iam trying to get HRM if i lock the door the place becomes mine again like it would at home , now do you still think i shouldnt be able to every learn to drive
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Blue badge has nothing to do with driving.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • pwales_2
    pwales_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2010 at 1:13PM
    Options
    ash4becks wrote: »
    well i dont drive yet, but i do have mental health issues one of which is post trumatic stress and depression but i was sexually assualted and if something triggers that like if i see who did this to me then i panic and want to get somewhere safe ie my car this is one of the resaons why iam trying to get HRM if i lock the door the place becomes mine again like it would at home , now do you still think i shouldnt be able to every learn to drive
    i am very sorry for your situation and i hope the person who did this to you is locked away for a ery long time and my next comment does not make light of that situation....
    i think you should learn to drive it will give you alot of freedom...
    BUT...i 100%belieive you dont need a blue badge or hrm for this hiding in a car is not the answer and you can walk fine ,the money should be better spent on helping you through couceling......
  • ianian99
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ash4becks wrote: »

So what if your in the supermarket and the car is in the multi story car park few hundred meters away and something triggers it? Your car cant help you there.
    What if you are driving down the motorway at 70mph and something triggers a MELTDOWN. What then?
  • ianian99
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So what if your in the supermarket and the car is in the multi story car park few hundred meters away and something triggers it? Your car cant help you there.
    What if you are driving down the motorway at 70mph and something triggers a MELTDOWN. What then?

Main point is how the heck is a blue badge going to help?
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pwales wrote: »
    i am very sorry for your situation and i hope the person who did this to you is locked away for a ery long time and my next comment does not make light of that situation....
    i think you should learn to drive it will give you alot of freedom...
    BUT...i 100%belieive you dont need a blue badge or hrm for this hiding in a car is not the answer and you can walk fine ,the money should be better spent on helping you through couceling......

Talk about being judgemental!

I think Ash has mentioned stuff about having physical disabilities that make walking painful; so may get HRM and blue badge that way.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family