living with a chronic condition (part 4)

Comments

• Thank you!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Actually, sod it. jojo I have both a left hand and a right hand ergonomic pen. If you are haoppy to pm me your address, I'll send you which one you want and you can have a go with it. If it suits you, keep it for the exam. Saves you shelling out for one, eh?
    I must go, I have lives to ruin and hearts to break :D
    My attitude depends on my Latitude 49° 55' 0" N 6° 19' 60 W
  • Unity
    Unity Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hello Folks - I have an appointment at the Pain clinic :j:jwhat happens there please? Thanks

I don't know how similar Pain Clinics are, I've been to two in the North East and had very different attitudes to pain management. The first was very much what I would term 'the old school' of thought in that they emphasise pacing and acceptance of the pain i.e. "You have to learn to live with it". The second was much more pro-active in that they looked at all the practical methods including (in my case) facet joint injections and epidurals and backed these up with coping mechanisms.

I do hope that you find yourself with one of the latter rather than the former type, as you will feel as if you are pursuing every avenue instead of trying to just stick an Elastoplast on a broken bone :rotfl:.
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D
  • Unity
    Unity Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This is a good one, considering my earlier posts about rheumatology appointments...

Had appt on 1 Sept, had blood tests in order to assess suitability for methotrexate injections. Told I needed to return in 8 weeks. Appointment came through last week for 17 November - 11 weeks (so far so good). Letter came yesterday. Cancelled and rebooked for 12 January - 19 weeks. Sigh. It would be quicker to be discharged and rereferred every time, as the government has only set targets for new patients, not follow ups. Strange how the patients without targets seem to get cancelled so frequently when the hospital proudly states that all waiting time targets are being met, isn't it?

I knew there was something I forgot to say Jojo :rolleyes:. You should ring the appointments dept and tell them that you were told you needed your next appointment for eight weeks time - for the results of blood tests and to assess suitability for the methotrexate injections and as a result your appointment will need to be changed. I've had this happen to me in the past and I've found that if you just apply a bit of pressure, you can make the system work as it should ;). Good luck with it. :T
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    I got the 'learning to live with the pain' approach when I went to the pain clinic mousey, and didn't feel that I came away with anything after the sessions.

Hopefully, you will go to one that explores different options with you. I have to say though, that it still did help to an extent, but of course, didn't take the pain away :(
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • So far I've had to find out a lot of the information myself (including about the clinic). My GP is good but now asks me what I think I should be taking next. I end up looking things up myself all the time, I was sick as a dog when I first started Tramadol (my idea) then I read about Omerprazole so trotted back (clutching print out) and he prescribed it. Surgery was a bit of a disaster! :eek:You do wonder where to turn next. Thank you all for troubling to reply.
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hello Folks - I have an appointment at the Pain clinic :j:jwhat happens there please? Thanks
    hi mouseymousey,, i went to pain clinic a few times ,,they where kind ans understanding they looked at my x-rays and all consultant surgeons reports ,,to put a plan of action in to place ..physio,hydrotherapy,acupuncture ect ..asked me if i heard of anything that might help me that theu do at the hospital .all very nice tried the lot...but ended up to much in pain with everything, so they gave up ! i have a open return..if anything in future comes out i and write in and get back on the programe,
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • raeh wrote: »
    Have you read through all the previous posts? this is a new thread to make sure everyone CAN post, you have just said all the things that the first post says that this thread isnt now, so Im unsure as to whether you are just trying to be antagonistic as you have on another thread?
    If not, feel free to jump in where ever you like and discuss your condition
    How rude!
    I have been here for a few days and want to post but have found it hard because I feel as though I am interupting a conversation all the time. I joined the site to post on this bored but am having trouble with it. Why would you think I am being antagonistis because I am feeling nervous about posting?
    Having you post a message to me like that only goes to show me I was right to be nervous to start with.
    I have read through the posts and seen that it is a new thread, it doesn't make it any easier though because severyone seems to be talking about their days and not about their condition. Someone new coming in like me feels as though they are butting in.
    Put yourself in my shoes when you want to jjoin in but feel nervous and have your post as the first reply.
    Maybe I shouldn't try.
  • Paparika wrote: »
    welcome please come in Rubymoon, take a seat :)
    we are all a bit excited BZ gets married today, and we've all had a little too much bucks fizz..

hiya all, been relaxing at OH house, where my right thumb has gone all funny, its painful and numb.....i think something is flaring up again,thank god i have the nuro appointment tuesday afternoon.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend so far..

raeh sorry to hear about kipper (hugs to you)
    Thank you Paparika. Nice of you to welcome me in here. Do people here all drink alcohol on tablets? I don't like to drink on mine.
  • Ruby_Moon wrote: »
    How rude!
    I have been here for a few days and want to post but have found it hard because I feel as though I am interupting a conversation all the time. I joined the site to post on this bored but am having trouble with it. Why would you think I am being antagonistis because I am feeling nervous about posting?
    Having you post a message to me like that only goes to show me I was right to be nervous to start with.
    I have read through the posts and seen that it is a new thread, it doesn't make it any easier though because severyone seems to be talking about their days and not about their condition. Someone new coming in like me feels as though they are butting in.
    Put yourself in my shoes when you want to jjoin in but feel nervous and have your post as the first reply.
    Maybe I shouldn't try.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I think it's the same with every thread that it feels like walking into a room full of strangers, but you aren't going to know people unless you try. I'm not sure why people talking about their days bothers you as we are talking about living with chronic conditons and how they affect everything we do.
    Perhaps if you feel so strongly this isn't the thread for you and you may find a different one suits you better?
    I must go, I have lives to ruin and hearts to break :D
    My attitude depends on my Latitude 49° 55' 0" N 6° 19' 60 W
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family