NEW - Redundancy Help. Protect yourself if redundancy looms or you're already there

Comments

• Please help!
    I have been working in the same job for 5 years. I have to apply to charitable organisations for my funding every 2-3 years. 2 years ago my employer changed - the people on the new management team stayed the same but extra people came on board. The last funding offfer was for 12 months from 1st April 2009 - 31st march 2010. I have now received my redundancy letter as we are unsure if there is funding available after march 2010. They have terminated my job contract 3 weeks early - on march 10th 2010 and said i will be paid on 31st march the normal amount - the final 3 weeks of march being my redundancy package. They argue that i am only entitled to 3 weeks redundancy as i have only been with this employer 2 years - the old employers should have paid me 4.5 weeks money for the previous 3 years service. With the holidays i have left to take this means i leave this friday! they have also said if i do go on the 10th of march and my job is refunded they will claw back the 3 weeks holiday i have taken!! My job contract states that i will be employed as long as there is funding and my work is acceptable. In my mind there is funding to pay me until 31st march so they should not terminate early and give me a proper redundance package. Also if they pay me as usual they will be taxing my redundncy pay! if anyone understands all this can they give me some guidance

many many thanks!

sj
  • I dont suppose theres any (extortionatly priced) MPPI available if you are at risk of redundancy?

Wishful thinking
  • I have been given notice of redundancy dismissal and have been told my last day of employment is 30th June 2010. The letter states I am due 8 weeks notice pay from 18th June 2010. It also states that I am required to work out my notice to the 30th June 2010. However I am being told verbally that if I find another job before this 8 weeks period is up I will loose my notice pay. Can you confirm this is legal
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    2 posts, all for this "new" web site Annabelle
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Yeah, I only heard about it today so thought I would tell people. Just trying to help.
  • simmo64
    simmo64 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Just listening to Martin on 5Live, eating a sandwich at my desk, during which have been sent a link to the bid4fees website on facebook and thought I'd see if there had been anything mentioned on the site about it (my girlfriend's on this site all the time at home). I'm a lawyer and even I think it's a great idea. Just placed a few bids myself to give it a try...will keep you posted :D
  • simmo64
    edited 29 July 2010 at 2:18PM
    Great information posted by fermi, excellent work. I'm dealing with so many employment cases at the moment and redundancy causes so much heartache. Many employers are taking advantage of the current climate to validly 'restructure' their organisations and frankly, it's immoral...I'll direct my clients to this link

Simmo64
  • simmo64
    Right, I said I'd get back to you about the bid4fees site, so here goes. I've made bids for several cases, won one and lost a few, some are still pending, but on the whole it seems to work... and surprisingly, it's really easy to use. My PA now checks the site every day for new cases we might be interested in, she seems to think it's quite addictive and fun to use. All I can say is that I have found a new way to find new business and keep my practice active. A great, yet very simple idea, wish I'd thought of it. I'm hooked.
  • Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    simmo64 wrote: »
    Great information posted by fermi, excellent work. I'm dealing with so many employment cases at the moment and redundancy causes so much heartache. Many employers are taking advantage of the current climate to validly 'restructure' their organisations and frankly, it's immoral...I'll direct my clients to this link

Simmo64

If its valid how can it be immoral?

Also stop spamming!
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • If its valid how can it be immoral?

Also stop spamming!

Validity and morality are two very different philosophical paradigms Googlewhacker...it's obviously a non-starter as a debate with certain people.

...can you explain why you're accusing me of spamming, as although I'm relatively new to MSE, I'm well versed with general forum protocol. Am I missing something here?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure