PostNL help!!!

Options
Hi everyone!

I purchased some ski boots in the Netherlands at the beginning of October (value 500 EUR). I posted them back to my UK address with PostNL insured to the value.

Long story short, after many many emails, they haven't arrived and today I received this message below

I am at a loss as to what to do. I can't remember if I put the ski shop in The Netherlands as the return address, but I don't see why this matters if they have lost them.

I have sent an email to ECC asking for help.

I really hope someone more intelligent than me can help. I am pretty gutted as I had been saving for a long time to visit this particular shop etc.

Thank you all for any help.

Jonny

Email from PostNL

"Good morning sir xxx,

I really don't like it for you that your shipment has not been delivered to yourself in the UK, I apologize for this, also on behalf of PostNL.

Inquiry with the relevant Postal Service did not produce a positive result. To be able to determine with certainty that the package is missing,
I also checked with all departments within our company where the package could be located. This includes the distribution center where the package is sorted and the Undeliverable Parts department.
I am sorry for you but because there is no good Dutch return address, I can unfortunately not offer you compensation for loss of the package I apologize for the loss and the resulting inconvenience.

Despite this unfortunately negative result for you, I hope to have informed you sufficiently.

Sincerely"

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It depends on the terms of the contract with the courier and your insurance. If a condition was that you included a return address and you didn't, they are entitled to refuse to compensate you.

I'm a little confused. I assume PostNL is the courier, whereas you mention ECC - are they the retailer? Is the email you quote actually from the retailer rather than from PostNL?
  • ProductivityGuru
    Options
    Hi

The email is from the courier, ECC are like the European equivalent of trading standards I believe.

I can’t honestly remember whether I did write a return address, I was certainly not directed to any terms and conditions when I sent the package. I thought a return address was required in case they couldn’t deliver the package, I don’t see how it’s relevant if they’ve lost it.. ☹️
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A return address gives the parcel an increased chance of turning up somewhere. If, for example, the address label got damaged, there's at least somewhere else it can be sent to.

As to terms and conditions, you must have something from taking out the insurance in the first place? A receipt? An email?
  • ProductivityGuru
    Options
    Sure, I agree it’s a good idea in general but I was posting it to myself so wasn’t really possible.

They are not denying that it’s insured but they are saying that the lack of return address invalidates it. I might try contacting my travel insurers to see if they can help.

There was an invoice from the shop with their address inside the package.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    I had a quick look at their website and there's nothing about having a return address on there, so I'd push them to point out that the absence of a return address does not invalidate your claim.
  • ProductivityGuru
    Options
    Thank you for looking I’ll ask them about it
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    A bit of a long shot but have you contacted the shop to see if they've received the parcel?
  • ProductivityGuru
    Options
    Yeah I’ve been in touch with them them and they haven’t unfortunately
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills