PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying parents housing association property.

Options

Comments

• blueball
    blueball Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2018 at 8:57PM
    Options
    The money is coming 100% from me.

I've been unable to get a mortgage to buy my own property so am using the money which I have to buy my dads house with cash.

I rang the housing association and they've said as I'm related there's no issue with me buying the house and taking advantage of the 50% discount on offer.

I did phone housing benefit and they said the best way to do it (so he can keep housing benefit) would be to setup a limited company.
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do not believe for a minute that the housing benefit people said that!
    You make me sick - trying to do the state for your own personal gain.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    blueball wrote: »
    the best way to do it (so he can keep housing benefit) would be to setup a limited company.
    excellent idea. By the time you have done that it will have cost you an extra 51% and done taxpayers a very great service.
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 July 2018 at 1:18AM
    Options
    As it is your father who has the right to buy (at a huge discount) it would be disgraceful if someone were able to exercise this right on his behalf and then charge the public purse for him to live in it.

If this is allowed we should be writing to our MPs. Just when you thought you had seen it all with right to buy. What an utter P155 take!

Edit: but I assume he would have to be named on the deeds and would not be allowed to claim housing benefit for a home he owns. I hope so!
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    HA rtb has only had a small pilot scheme, do you mean right to acquire? With rta the tenant would become the owner. Impossible to rent to yourself. Which HA is it?

See below.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You would have to set up a proper tenancy agreement. If he doesn!!!8217;t get housing benefit or can!!!8217;t pay the rent will you evict him?
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Here's an idea, why don't you support your father rather than expecting the tax payer to do it.
  • blueball
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far.

It's definitely called right to buy, the property has been discounted at 50% of the purchase price.

With regards to the use of tax payers money I'm not sure I follow what people are saying. He gets housing benefit, housing associations are companies so regardless if he's paying rent to me or the housing association the cost to the tax payer is the same amount. Why would you rather a faceless company profited as opposed to a family member?

HB advised to form a limited company but I would just like to see if anybody else here has the same experience.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would you evict your father from his home?

If you would, your father would be mad to let you buy the house.

"The council will refuse your housing benefit claim if it believes that your relative would not evict you even if you can't pay the rent."
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/housing_benefit_renting_from_family
  • blueball
    edited 30 July 2018 at 9:56PM
    Options
    He would be given a standard AST. However as he gets a pension and HB he is never going to be in a position where he can't pay the rent.

I would not evict him from the property, it's a life long arrangement and an investment for the future. After his death, the property would be converted into flats and sold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure