Oath to sign - what does this mean?

HI

I've received the Oath to sign.
In it it says I will when required to do so by the Court, exhibit in the court a full inventory of the estate and render and account thereof to the court
and when required to do so by the High Court deliver upto that Court the Letters of Administration

Can someone please just clarify what these steps mean please.

Will it be obvious, in particular will it be obvious when I am required to exhibit a full inventory etc?

Also, the oath to sign appears to have my dad as female. There is reference to 'her estate'

Can I just correct that in pen on the Oath or do I need to get the court to correct and resend?

Many thanks for any help, wouldn't have got this far without the help of this forum and I really am extremely grateful

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you swearing the oath at the probate office or with a solicitor?

Solicitors do this for £7 and will know exactly what to do and where you both sign and what you swear. They may be able to correct the error too- takes about 5mins to complete
  • I was going to do it at the district probate registry.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was going to do it at the district probate registry.

I am sure they will sort it out there for you and explain the wording
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The wording just means that you could at some stage be required to give a full account of the estate and how you have dealt with/distributed it, but only if the court asks you to (e.g. if there were a dispute or challenge later). You don't have to do an inventory now.

You should get the his/her mistake corrected though- ask the court staff.
  • Thanks, so it's only something to do if requested.

That's great :)

Everything is in order though as I've been very careful collating everything for the IHT400 so it shouldnt be too hard I guess.
    There's only me left, as my mum and brother passed away before my dad.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The error you can correct by hand and then initia it. You will need to point it out to the person in front of whom you swaer the oath so that they can initial it too. this shows that the change was made before you signed, not after.

Alternatively, ask the person who drafted the oath to amend it and send you a clean copy.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure