PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Pot of Tea - and a Stamp!

Comments

• shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    m1kjm wrote: »
    I've found that younger people in an office don't know that when telephoning a local number on a landline you don't need the area code because they have only made calls on a mobile where you need the area code, so they keep keying in the area code for local calls on a landline every time.

Predicting the weather from looking at the clouds instead of using an app.

Not just building and cooking on the fire, but also identifying the variety of tree your logs came from.

I'm in the NE Scotland and here you DO HAVE to put in the area code even if it's a local number
  • shanks77 wrote: »
    I'm in the NE Scotland and here you DO HAVE to put in the area code even if it's a local number

Ooh you learn something new every day!

We do still have a landline but it's mainly there for the broadband and to be honest even if our (adult) kids used it, they'd probably be ringing other mobiles so the area code thing wouldn't apply!

Didn't it used to be that if you typed in the area code in even for a local call you got charged the national not the local price? But I expect that's all gone now?

it's so long since i dialled out on our home phone that I'd probably put the area code in too to be honest!
  • I have had to show 3 different cleaners how to put double sheets on the bed, the "band" at the top or bottom as sheets are not square, also taught friend to hang washing and told GS that kettles - electric - never used to turn off by themselves. I also use 2 sheets on my bed one on the bottom and the other on top with duvet on top of that, no need to wash duvet every time, same as 2 sheets, and also change bottom sheet each week, put top sheet "body" side onto bottom and fresh sheet on top so use both sides of sheet before washing but thats just me. Yes I do do knitting/crochet/cross stitch etc etc and although never used an old mincer (on side of table) but knew how. Am 74 but love microwave/breadmaker/slow cooker/soupmaker/halogen etc so we can all learn but best not to forget.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    purpleivy wrote: »
    Mind you, she got very frustrated to find her friend using a teatowel to mop up beer!

Enlighten my darkness - what is the correct thing with which to mop beer?
    I have sons, beers is on the event horizon, but the idea that there is a correct tool intrigues me. Currently, House Rules are you spill it, you remove your T shirt & mop with that - or (if it's a particularly cherished T shirt) you fetch a less loved/nearly outgrown one.
    Guests have looked a tad aghast but are usually handed something from the rag bin. Swiftly.
  • whmf00001 wrote: »
    I have had to show 3 different cleaners how to put double sheets on the bed, the "band" at the top or bottom as sheets are not square, also taught friend to hang washing and told GS that kettles - electric - never used to turn off by themselves. I also use 2 sheets on my bed one on the bottom and the other on top with duvet on top of that, no need to wash duvet every time, same as 2 sheets, and also change bottom sheet each week, put top sheet "body" side onto bottom and fresh sheet on top so use both sides of sheet before washing but thats just me. Yes I do do knitting/crochet/cross stitch etc etc and although never used an old mincer (on side of table) but knew how. Am 74 but love microwave/breadmaker/slow cooker/soupmaker/halogen etc so we can all learn but best not to forget.

My mum used to move the top sheet to the bottom when she changed the beds, and put a fresh top sheet on. I can't remember if she turned it over though. Must confess I only have fitted sheets now, duvets changed the world for me :)

She also used to have a great heavy mincer which attached to the side of the work top (this was in the 70s), I think it was hard graft using it, another thing which has changed for the better in my opinion!

Thinking of the old kettles which you had to turn off, I've just started turning my microwave off at the wall when not in use (and not using it as a clock/timer) and I've got a little battery operated timer, and I still struggle to remember that it won't just bleep a couple of times like the microwave, it'll keep going til I turn it off or the battery runs out! Caught me out a few times :rotfl:
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Your mouth? What else do people use?
  • chickadee
    chickadee Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My son and his friends lived in a shared house in their last year at university. One day he mentioned that his friend's room was cold because only half of his radiator was working. I explained that it needed bleeding to remove the air and fill it up again so it would get hot at the top. I told him how to do it and then mentioned that he'd need to check whether or not the boiler needed to be topped up as well because the pressure might have dropped. He just asked how on earth I knew this stuff! I think he'd have called a plumber. The thing is, I don't remember even being shown this, I have no idea how I have accumulated this knowledge. I suppose it is about life experience at the end of the day, it is surprising the things we just pick up along the way.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 £341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 £162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 £33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have sons, beers is on the event horizon, but the idea that there is a correct tool intrigues me. Currently, House Rules are you spill it, you remove your T shirt & mop with that - or (if it's a particularly cherished T shirt) you fetch a less loved/nearly outgrown one.
    Guests have looked a tad aghast but are usually handed something from the rag bin. Swiftly.
    Does the "remove your t-shirt and use it to mop" rule also apply to ladies? :eek:
    I'd grab the dish-cloth and use that for the main spillage, then for the last bit (ie drying the table), I have a bar-towel that lives on the back of the kitchen chair.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    shanks77 wrote: »

In my area, people confuse what's the area code and what's digits added to original landline numbers.

So (using fictitious numbers so please don't call in case it exists:eek:)

Old Number: O1707 558912
    New Number: 02580558912

People assume that 02580 is the area code replacing the old 01707.

It's not. The area code is 025, the number is 80558912
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for the memory, I had forgotten that my Mum used to put the top sheet to the bottom. That was until she discovered fitted sheets from Brentford Nylons .......... enough said.

Has anyone seen a youngster scoot on a bike? If I were doing that I would do it with the left leg (if I were on the left hand side of the bike) ready to put my other foot through the frame and ride away. Younger folk than me seem to scoot with the right leg, stop, get on the bike and ride off. Always looks odd to me.

(Sorry if that seemed a bit convoluted, it makes sense in my head!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure