Loft conversion

I am still keen on getting my loft converted into a livable bedroom.
I have only had quotes from one company so for, ranging from boarding out at £500, hoby room at £5,000 and habitable at £29,000

I have seen people state that they have had a habitable coversion including onsuite for £25,000

My thoughts are to employ an architect to draw up the plans, and do a good deal of the work myself. I have seen a youtube video about DIY loft conversions, but still more to learn. I have read a lot online, how much I can do, I am unsure./

I will also need to concider a employing structural engineer. I live in a 60s built town house.

I do have a few thousand in savings, but unless I get talked into letting the local Yorkshire loft conversion company do a lot of the work, I will do things slowly.
It should easy for me to put £5,000+ onto the mortgage.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I am still keen on getting my loft converted into a livable bedroom.
    I have only had quotes from one company so for, ranging from boarding out at £500, hoby room at £5,000 and habitable at £29,000

I have seen people state that they have had a habitable coversion including onsuite for £25,000

My thoughts are to employ an architect to draw up the plans, and do a good deal of the work myself. I have seen a youtube video about DIY loft conversions, but still more to learn. I have read a lot online, how much I can do, I am unsure./

I will also need to concider a employing structural engineer. I live in a 60s built town house.

I do have a few thousand in savings, but unless I get talked into letting the local Yorkshire loft conversion company do a lot of the work, I will do things slowly.
    It should easy for me to put £5,000+ onto the mortgage.
    I actually shuddered at this. Please don't tackle something as big as this on the basis of Youtube training.

Avoid loft conversion companies and do as you suggest: get a structural engineering involved to see what is possible and what is needed and then use a proper building firm to carry out the work. If you can do some of the finishing yourself as a competent DIY-er then do so, but leave the structural and safety stuff to the professionals.
  • roger-w5
    roger-w5 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Tbh its best to use an established loft converting company to do it all on a fixed price.

diy work is always considered diy work as per my conveyancing partner.

diy has its disadvantages.
  • Andy123.
    Andy123. Posts: 17 Forumite
    I!!!8217;ve just completed my own loft conversion. I know have a 6x5 metre bedroom and a 2.7x1.7 metre ensuite.

I spent -

- £15.5k on drawings, structural engineer and a carpenter do come and do the shell for me (stairs, joists, 9 x steels, upgrade trusses, 8 metre long dorma with 3 windows, 1 x velux, new flat roof and rendered outside)

- roughly £8-9k on flooring, insulation, walls, plastering, decorating, carpets and furnishings, electrics, plumbing to get it all finished.
  • Andy123.
    Andy123. Posts: 17 Forumite
    That includes new boiler and invented hot water cylinder fitted aswell.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Andy123. wrote: »
    I!!!8217;ve just completed my own loft conversion. I know have a 6x5 metre bedroom and a 2.7x1.7 metre ensuite.

I spent -

That looks a lot bigger and more complex than my loft. How long did it take you. I do have the advantage of not working during the school holidays.

35861495_10214901697070490_6952535712637911040_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=3525b76173eb30909a9090e5e814db30&oe=5BEA8CD0
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    That looks a lot bigger and more complex than my loft. How long did it take you. I do have the advantage of not working during the school holidays.

35861495_10214901697070490_6952535712637911040_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=3525b76173eb30909a9090e5e814db30&oe=5BEA8CD0

What are you going to use it for? Do you have the head height to convert it? I'm counting 187.5cm according to the visible bricks on the pier (chimney?). Even with some rockwool over the joists it can't be much more than 2 metres in the middle.

With a slope like that, 120mm of solid insulation and an air gap, there's no room for a legal staircase and it's arguably not big enough for much at all.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    You say it's a 'town house.'
    Just thinking that if you've already got 3 floors then going in to the loft isn't going to be hugely desirable for resale.
    ... But of course if it's just because you really need the extra space yourself that's fine, but I doubt it'd add any value.
  • sevenhills
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    What are you going to use it for? Do you have the head height to convert it? I'm counting 187.5cm according to the visible bricks on the pier (chimney?). Even with some rockwool over the joists it can't be much more than 2 metres in the middle.
    With a slope like that, 120mm of solid insulation and an air gap, there's no room for a legal staircase and it's arguably not big enough for much at all.

Its quite easy to stand up in the middle, I was told the staircase adding height would make it ok. But then again he did quote £29k, to discourage me.
    I am hoping it will be habitable, but I am not expecting 24/7 living, just as a spare bedroom for family. So spending a lot of money is doubtful.

Just measured to the top beam, around 202cm
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Its quite easy to stand up in the middle, I was told the staircase adding height would make it ok. But then again he did quote £29k, to discourage me.
    I am hoping it will be habitable, but I am not expecting 24/7 living, just as a spare bedroom for family. So spending a lot of money is doubtful.

Just measured to the top beam, around 202cm

The insulation is going to bring that down further. It's not going to meet building regulations for the stairs. Are you planning to drop the ceilings downstairs for it?

Is this a forever house? Be aware that it's not going to add any money. I don't actually think it is going to be habitable. I presume you want a full width dormer.

Mark out on the floor where the bed goes and then mark out the route to get the bed. What's the space, headheight like where it isn't going to be raised?

Where do the stairs come up? How does that compromise space downstairs? What do you lose? Stairs take a huge amount of space as they come up and the smaller the space available, the less likely one is to find the right route up that suits both downstairs and up.

Unless there's a secret loft you're not showing us, it's a waste of money for a pretty unpleasant space. I wouldn't waste the money.

Get an architect in to draw it out if you think the room is there. Your first battle is building regulations - bearing in mind that they are the minimum standards. There is some logic behind them.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • sevenhills
    edited 20 June 2018 at 9:37PM
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Where do the stairs come up? How does that compromise space downstairs? What do you lose? Stairs take a huge amount of space as they come up and the smaller the space available, the less likely one is to find the right route up that suits both downstairs and up.

Unless there's a secret loft you're not showing us, it's a waste of money for a pretty unpleasant space. I wouldn't waste the money.

Get an architect in to draw it out if you think the room is there. Your first battle is building regulations - bearing in mind that they are the minimum standards. There is some logic behind them.

The stairs come up via 2 long cupboards in the landing, central or almost. Space is tight.

I do intend to live here until the foreseeable future. I am not bothered about adding value, but neither do I want to waste my money.
    There are 3 other houses of the same type with either bedrooms or non-habitable rooms in their loft space.

Thanks for your input.

Here is a similar house, which is a poor example of a good loft.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=32409021&sale=53665314&country=england
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure