Economy Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• I switched supplier to Economy Energy in April 2017. Fixed for 1yr by monthly DD gas & electricity. I explained that as I have Solar Panels my monthly electricity readings would be very low. However I agreed that for the time being I would pay the 'normal' rate for 3 months when it would be reviewed on the evidence of my meter readings. I wish! My monthly readings are not being recorded. I have not had a statement showing my energy use and direct debit payments. I have telephoned the customer helpline and sent emails but cannot get a result. The online account is no better. It is still in it's 'Beta Version'. I am over £100 in credit already. I am unable to get my direct debit payments adjusted or claim a refund in spite of my best efforts. They were quick enough to accept my switch to themselves (after an initial problem getting a reading). I would terminate my contract but there is a £30 exit fee on each product. They have been noted by OFGEN previously about their poor customer service. Obviously they have 'got away with it'. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY . Maybe smart meter users get a better service?
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dear Economy Energy,

I raised the issues of not receiving a bill in a informal complaint on 10th July 2017. I have reviewed your customer complaints policy, and have emailed a complaint to customer.complaints@economyenergy.co.uk, and requested this complaint is looked at, at the review stage. As a new customer I am disappointed of still awaiting a bill from this company.

I am still awaiting for my complaint to be resolved. Terrible customer service, why did I choose this company??? my contract to end could not come quicker enough.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • I just tried signing up after these guys came up tops for price on the comparison. Unfortunately it seems like the online saver account (which is the one that was being compared) is not compatible if you have a smart meter (which are being rolled out to everyone). The only plan available was £170/year more expensive than the one advertised. I think you need to put a note on this supplier saying the plan is only valid if you don't have a smart meter.
  • crabbit_yin
    crabbit_yin Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 8 September 2017 at 11:21AM
    EconomyEnergy are really quite terrible. They can't seem to get their act together. They NEVER ask for meter readings, so you have to do that by yourself, IF you remember. I joined in Nov 2016 but it took them over 6 months to get ANY web-site accessibility at all. Prior to that I got random bills by post at wildly differing times for gas and electricity, one bill being months out of date. When they finally got their web-site working, it still, to date (8/9/17), will not allow you to see your bills. Plus - they increased my direct debit from £78 to £91 per month, even though I am in credit on both gas (£105) and electricity (£71). Strongly discourage anyone going to this awful company.
  • Hello crabbit. I seem to get text messages from this company requesting meter readings, but like you, there seems to be huge billing issues with this company.

I have already contacted the energy ombudsman, and I have been advised I need to give the company eight weeks to address my billing complaint. I am intending to raise the issue with the ombudsman as soon as i possible can.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • I so wish there were warnings of such issues of customer service up front with this Economy Energy switch. I've been with MoneySavingExpert Cheap Energy Club from the outset and sing their praises from the rooftops. This is my 5th switch and the previous 4 have been so smooth saving me money every time. It's the best service out there and believe me I've checked 5 others to make sure this is the case this time too.

I have today sent Economy Energy an email directly rather than from their website. Having read all the comments here I am now quite worried this switch will become burdensome and very worrying for me.

I switched to the Economy Energy Direct Saver (Fixed) 12 month deal via the MoneySavingExpert Cheap Energy Club having missed out by one day this year's Cheap Energy Club Big Switch. Yes, the email header wasn't so obvious with me thinking it was a reminder email not realising it was letting me know one deal had already been over subscribed and the other was ending the next day. Silly me [dizzy].

I received a great welcome email from Economy Energy 20th September 2017. All very well presented, clear and precise, detailing the next steps 1, 2 and 3. Also the emails for the Economy Energy Direct Debit Notification. All timely sent. An impressive start. And of course direct debit payments have been processed promptly on the dates due. No "surprise-surprise" there.

Step 3:
    We expect your supplies to go live on 07/10/2017. About 5 days before we'll send you a text/email to ask for a meter reading.

Great news except there was no text, no email from Economy Energy asking me for a meter reading.

Meantime my previous supplier sent me an email advising the date of the switch to be 5th October 2017. I provided them the meter readings online directly on that day so as to ensure there was a clear and precise switch.

I went to the Energy Direct website https://www.economyenergy.co.uk/ My account to register with my account number and postcode so that I could 1) provide them with the meter readings 5th October 2017, 2) ensure warm home discount was noted, and 3) ensure pensionable age long term illness priority services were noted.

No luck --- "Account could not be validated or has already been registered. Check your details are correct and try again or login with your existing details."

I've even tried combinations of postcode - with a space, without a space, uppercase, lowercase - still the same message. I have attempted to register for my account a number of times on different dates, and again today, and still the same message.

5th/6th/7th October 2017, I forget which date, I clicked on the Contact Us > Email us here option and sent two emails. 1) advising I had not received the text/email to provide them the meter readings, and 2) the problem with registering my account as having not logged in before. Whilst there is a confirmation webpage advising 5-days to answer such enquiries, a copy of the emails are not sent to my email address for my reference and, as of today Saturday 14th October 2017, I have not had a reply back to either of these "Email us here" emails.

The Economy Energy welcome email advises the contact details economyenergy.co.uk 0333 103 9053 8am-8pm Mon to Fri 8am-6pm Sat and 8am-4pm Sun and their economyenergy.co.uk website advises "speak with our team" "If it's a general enquiry... Monday - Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 8am-6pm, Sunday 8am-4pm", yet, when I telephone them today, Saturday 14th October 2017, the automated message informs me the hours are Monday - Friday 9am-6pm; I'm invited to leave a message for callback only to then be informed "mailbox is full"!

I want to advise meter readings twice a month. I want to do this online to save me money. Calls during the week cost me money. I'm a pensioner on pension guaranteed credit. Pennies count!

This switch seemed to start well but now I'm not so sure. I'm hopeful this can be turned around before it indeed does become a burden and a worry for me. It could well cost me more money than the savings projected after the end of the British Gas Collective Fix Oct 2017.

I am hopeful not to receive one of those cut-and-paste "We apologise for any inconvenience, we always strive to make the switching process as smooth and easy as possible. Please send your details to [EMAIL="customer.complaints@economyenergy.co.uk"]customer.complaints@economyenergy.co.uk[/EMAIL] and we will investigate this further for you" replies I see here in this forum given I've mentioned I've already sent these details by email directly

I just want this switch to work seemlessly and not become a bigger problem in 12-months time.

:eek:
  • stevenpc
    stevenpc Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 November 2017 at 3:19PM
    similar probs as the above post however in adition to above i am still paying dd to my old provider and to ee.The electricity has been sorted however they according to my old provider have not sent metre reading for my gas to them.I was last able to contact ee on 7th october and they said they had all the infomation required and will send final gas reading to last supplier.Yesterday after getting confirmation from my old provider that they wher waiting for the reading from ee and agreed to not take anymore dd for the time being ( i am in credit ) however too late to stop a dd to them for this month.I spent 2 hours during the cource of yesterday and again first thing this morning ( sunday ) holding on to phone to speak to ee without success and recorded message advising to call next week.They do not respond to messages sent via there web site i cannot access my documents on there web site there website will not accept metre readings that i enter.This company is a joke and i cant wait to leave and have informed them that if these matters are not resolved i shall be looking for another supplier and they can forget about any exit fees as as far as im concerned they are not supplying the service expected or agreed to.On another note i was told on 7th october that it was too late for me to apply for the home warm discount so im losing out and not gaining anything from my switch.Ive never had a problem with other companies so lesson learnt the hard way.
  • Avoid this company like the plague.

I was with them for 2 weeks and it was absolute torture. They took payment out of my account without warning. They apparently texted me about different things but I never received any of them - apparently this was impossible!

Customer service is a total joke, one time I phoned there was such loud music on in the background I couldn't hear what was being said to me. The three separate people I spoke to were all seriously rude and gave completely different answers to the others.
    Was promised phonecalls back on three separate occasions but never had even one.
    Even though I am in a wheelchair and my electricity meter is in the basement of the shop I live next to I was informed that Economy Electric 'do not do readings for anybody, regardless of disability'. That was after asking me INCREDIBLY personal health questions for approx 20 minutes. They are obviously incapable of understanding that wheelchairs + stairs are not a great mixture.

They didn't bother to ask for readings, gave my old energy company made up readings so I received a letter about a £400 debt! Turns out that my old company actually owed me nearly £200, luckily it was sorted out in a day.

The only time that I spoke to anyone decent was the day I finally gave up and informed them that I was moving to a different company.
    I am still receiving phone calls from them asking for readings.

Their prices may be attractive but it doesn't make up for their total incompetence, rudeness and ignorance!
  • My partner signed us up as a result of a cold call by EE. They told her that we would not pay a standing charge with them. Big lie. Mis-selling just for starters.
    We had to request an electrician from EE to install an isolator switch so that my electrician could supply and fit a new consumer unit, one electrician not being able to touch the meter side and the other not allowed to touch the consumer unit. So both had to be on site at the same time. It was made absolutely clear to EE that there would have to be the second electrician there at the same time, so no excuses there. An appointment was made by EE for a time slot in between 12 noon and 4pm.
    The evening prior to this appointment I drove back home from London to be there to let the electricians in to my house. My electrician turned up at five to 12. The poor man sat outside in the freezing cold in his van waiting for the EE contractor to show up. At 3pm my electrician knocked on the door and said that he would wait until four but would have to go after that. So I rang up customer service where I was told to wait another hour to give their electrician a chance to turn up but she was sorry but she couldn't get in touch with them for me! I thought this was odd. Anyway come five past four there was still no sign of the EE electrician so my chap had to leave. He so left me a bill for four hours waiting time.

When I telephoned EE customer service to explain the inconvenience and that I would be charging them for my costs they actually had the gall to tell me I would have to take the matter up with the no-show sub contractor! Bl##dy cheek! Luckily as I used to run my own business I know legal matters and told them that the buck stops with the main contractor i.e. THEM (EE).

My advice to anybody is read the reviews first before you jump in with this firm. The business end of their customer service is atrocious and can cost you deep in the pocket.

Btw the first appointment I made with EE sort of got lost in the request from one department to another so this was my second try at arranging an appointment.
  • Londoner_1
    Londoner_1 Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 December 2017 at 10:24PM
    Same here.

I joined in mar 2017 after an aborted attempt to join in feb 2017.

My elect and gas game over at different dates meaning both bills are out of sycn (i never had this problem with all my prev suppliers). Their online account management is pure rubbish, all you can do is submit meaningless meter readings which they never acknowledge and seldom show up on the bills, i have now resorted to writing by meter readings every month end in anticipation of a !!!! up by EE.

My spring gas bill was messed up, as a result they only billed me £2.55 for the summer bill saying they messsed up. I fret over the next few months as i just wanna clear my account by feb 2018 and switch away.

I have had National Power, some random co, BG, Scottish Power, Eon, sainsbury energey, spark energy and all were ok but this co is hell, the larger suppliers all had better systems and websites, you type in readings and within a day you have your bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure