National Express rip off – staff give false information

Yesterday I arrived back to Heathrow slightly early and managed to get to the bus station in time to catch the coach two hours earlier than the one I had booked. I asked a member of National Express staff on the concourse by the bus stands when the earlier departure left. Previously I have always been able to catch a different bus if there was space and have simply shown my ticket to the driver, but she was adamant that drivers would no longer permit this and that this had been the case for a long time. She told me that I would need to get my ticket changed at the counter, which I duly went to do. I was expecting them merely to reissue a new ticket with the earlier departure, but instead was asked to pay £11.80, being a £5 amendment fee plus a £6.80 fare difference (although both services had been the same fare when I booked, and I have just checked for two weeks hence and they are again at the same fare!). It was worth it to me at that point to get home earlier, so I duly paid. When the bus arrived I tested the veracity of the stated new rules and showed the driver my original printed e-ticket for the later service, which of course he accepted without question or comment and let me board, without even waiting to ascertain whether his vehicle would be full.

I feel ripped off! Have other forumites recent experience of using NE and catching a different service to the one booked, and have you paid the change fee? NE seems to want to become as inflexible and difficult as the trains. I have always used NE when I use public transport to Heathrow, and the flexibility has been one of the significant plus points. It would have been cheaper to buy a single to Heathrow and then an on the day single home than paying the amendment fee and extra fare charge. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I hope that you will not get the driver into trouble by posting this!

The additional fee was correctly charged, according to the information given on their web-site. One of many reasons why I detest them.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    So basically your complaint is the drivers are failing to follow company rules.
    Instead of felling ripped off,why not consider you failed to pay the correct fare all those other times.
    The staff member apparently also gave you correct information. Would you like to amend your title?
  • kfsimpson
    kfsimpson Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I hope that you will not get the driver into trouble by posting this!

The additional fee was correctly charged, according to the information given on their web-site. One of many reasons why I detest them.

That's why I didn't put any details of the journey. Technically it was doubtless correct. It certainly used not to be the case, and I have been unable to ascertain when the rules were changed. Hardly designed to encourage me to use NE in the future.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    kfsimpson wrote: »
    That's why I didn't put any details of the journey. Technically it was doubtless correct. It certainly used not to be the case, and I have been unable to ascertain when the rules were changed. Hardly designed to encourage me to use NE in the future.

based on checking the rules or just what happened?
  • DREKLY
    DREKLY Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There are a LOT of anomolies with National Express,

I recently renewed my coachcard, and was charged an extra two pounds for doing so, on top of the ten pound cost,
    this was at the Bournemouth Travel Interchange;

They also tried to apply an extra two pound fee to my 15 pound
    tuesday special ticket, but the girl waived it when I complained.

Is this a local scam, as when I asked at another booking office
    at my destination, they said there should not be any fees added.

BEWARE.
    16 x Enhance 250w panels + SolarEdge Inverter + TREES :(
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Could some of this confusion be that the people being asked for advice are not necessarily NE employees? A bus station might be run by a company but the buses coming and going could be from several companies one of which is NE.

Victoria coach station for instance is owned by a subsidiary of TfL.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    kfsimpson wrote: »

It's been 10 years since I used NE coaches at an airport, but it certainly was the case then.
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    i use it alot going to London until a few months ago i had a 35 min walk into town to get the bus however there is a smaller designated spot within 10 mins walk from my house however to board the bus there rather than in Town exactly the same bus same times to a point etc the price difference was best part of £8 and you still obviously got to London same time.The fares now however are same from both stops. Best one i ever saw was one morning the bus reversed into a car that had parked behind it at Cirencester and basically made the car undrivable. The car driver was taking his daughter to Heathrow airport. After sorting insurance details etc the car driver asked wether the bus was going to heathrow which it was and he asked the driver if she could get on the bus which she did , this was very early in the morning and the bus was near empty. Then the bus driver promptly after getting back on the bus after putting her case on it asks her for the £33 fare !!!!
    Needless to say she was far from amused she paid it and i spoke to her after and told her to complain which she said she was going to , That driver ive not seen to this day, they were told not to reverse at that point basically just to turn the bus around but they did and it seems it cost them alot more than some time saved.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We've caught earlier National Express coaches a couple of times, at LGW and LHR. Both time we had to cough up the extra, but it's all part of their Terms and Conditions.....c'est la vie.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    Best one i ever saw was one morning the bus reversed into a car that had parked behind it at Cirencester and basically made the car undrivable. The car driver was taking his daughter to Heathrow airport. After sorting insurance details etc the car driver asked wether the bus was going to heathrow which it was and he asked the driver if she could get on the bus which she did , this was very early in the morning and the bus was near empty. Then the bus driver promptly after getting back on the bus after putting her case on it asks her for the £33 fare !!!!
    Why not? She was getting taken to the airport. It would have been worse if the driver had refused to let her on his bus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure