PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Housing advice needed

Currently renting at 545 per month, outgrown our 1 bed flat as we now have a 3yr old daughter.We have saved 65k for a deposit, however not found a suitable house ( looking to 220 k ) due to various reasons and not sure what we should do. We currently get tax credits, but could be put on universal credits if we move. Do we:
1: stay put and keep saving
2: buy somewhere top of budget and use maximum savings as keeping over 16k in savings mean we would not be entitled to universal credit
3: buy somewhere mid budget, spend rest of savings
4: buy somewhere low budget, have large savings left but will not be entitled to universal credit
5:

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Why do you have to have large savings can't you just put in a larger deposit and have a smaller mortgage?
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Keep saving, put 50k in premium bonds if you don`t have any other investment ideas, and learn a bit about investment if you don`t already know, don`t burn 65k in a bursting property bubble.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think a lot depends on what you can find in the different budget ranges.

I wouldn't buy a more expensive property simply to try to qualify for benefits, but if you find a property which you can afford and can have a smaller mortgage on by using most of the savings then do that.

Maybe aim keep £4-5K in savings for emergencies
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Crashy_Time
    Forumite
    Better to keep 65k in liquid assets IMO rather than putting it somewhere you can`t get at it very easily and where it is liable to disappear. Why not aim for 100k savings, increase your income if possible, your rent is pretty reasonable, and watch interest rates rise and house prices drop?
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    You shouldn't be getting tax credits with 65k in the bank though, right?
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    peppapig14 wrote: »
    ...however not found a suitable house ... due to various reasons
    That really does cover such a monumentally wide range as to make the questions a bit meaningless in isolation.

What are those reasons?
    Does what you want simply not exist where you want it for what you want to pay for it? Something's got to give, then...
    Anybody who's ever watched a single episode of Phil and Kirsty knows that there's one thing that "I can't find it..." people have failed to do. Prioiritise the compromises.

Help us to help you - a rough indication of area, requirements, and maybe some RM links with a description of where they've fallen short...?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be getting tax credits with 65k in the bank though, right?
    only the interest (>£300) on the money is included for tax credits
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Christ, I could only dream of saving up 65K, and im not entitled to any benefits :(
    Edit: off to check the .gov calculator..nope, still not getting anything :(
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • Crashy_Time
    Forumite
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    I think a lot depends on what you can find in the different budget ranges.

I wouldn't buy a more expensive property simply to try to qualify for benefits, but if you find a property which you can afford and can have a smaller mortgage on by using most of the savings then do that.

Maybe aim keep £4-5K in savings for emergencies

Not nearly enough if the boiler breaks and the roof blows off at the same time.
  • lol, OP, if you haven't already realised, Crashy adds entertainment value.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure