Carrying over annual leave?

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Comms69 wrote: »
    That's unlawful.

Yes, but to cancel booked leave the employer only has to give the same length of notice as the length of the holiday.....
    An employer can cancel an employee's period of annual leave if it gives the required notice. Under reg.15 of the Working Time Regulations 1998 (SI 1998/1833), an employer can require an employee not to take annual leave on particular days by giving the employee notice of at least the same length as the period of leave to be cancelled. For example, if the employee has booked a period of four days' annual leave, the employer must give at least four days' notice of cancellation.

So, I repeat, the OP needs to tread carefully here as a difficult employer could easily make things a lot worse.
  • n1guy wrote: »
    These holidays are scheduled for Christmas. What happened last time was 1 day before they were due to take them he cancelled them. On December 22. No notice given

It's a year later. Why are you still there?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, but to cancel booked leave the employer only has to give the same length of notice as the length of the holiday.....

So, I repeat, the OP needs to tread carefully here as a difficult employer could easily make things a lot worse.

Oh absolutely, I mean to be honest I assumed it was more than one day being cancelled :)
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    ohreally wrote: »
    Collectively what did you do about the situation?

You need to organise yourselves or change is unlikely.
    This is the critical point. Yes it is true that you have an absolute right to take 28 days holiday and the employer cannot force you to carry them over. But so what? That doesn't get you anything! There isn't a holidays superhero who swoops in and does it for you when the employer reneges. You have to do this for yourselves. So that means talking to the employer about how and when you can take the leave. And, as pointed out, that may be a double edged sword because you don't have a right to take them when you want them or when it is convenient to you. So the question is not "can the employer doin this?"... The question is "what are you going to do about it?". And unless that is something that your all decide too do and back each other up, then you won't get anywhere - the one person who sticks their head above the parapet will get it shot off!
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Having read all the posts and coming to the conclusion that there don't seem many ways out here - perhaps talking to the boss about possible improvements for managing the work load better would help your boss avoid bad feeling and disappointment amongst his work force - no boss worth the title really wants an unhappy or disgruntled workforce, they are absolutely not good for business - especially if its a small firm/workforce. Sticking together as a team is a good move too.
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Let me explain this a bit better. All previous firms I have worked for in the past made it clear at the start of the holiday year the holiday entitlement for the coming year. Most had set holidays with the summer being flexible.

With this place, the summer is flexible that's the only thing that guaranteed. You really don't know when you're off, the boss will not put a notice up regarding holidays in case he gets an order in and so can easily do away with the holidays. Nothing is set in stone, however, we mostly get the bank holidays, a couple of days at Easter etc and 2 weeks at Christmas.

I'm moving at the end of the month for example, I need a couple of days off, I will not get paid for these even though I have leave left, the reason for this is this leave is reserved for Christmas but its not set in stone, so the boss can come up to you a day you are due to get off and say nope sorry your carrying it over. Last Christmas, for example, we were not told we were off until 2.30pm on the last day, sure we had a good idea yes but it wasn't confirmed until 2.30pm.

This Christmas looks really doubtful but you will not know until a day or two before you're due to be off.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    But that doesn't explain why you are letting the employer get away with it. All the explanations in the book don't mean you have to accept it. But if you accept it you are agreeing to it!
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sangie595 wrote: »
    But that doesn't explain why you are letting the employer get away with it. All the explanations in the book don't mean you have to accept it. But if you accept it you are agreeing to it!

I wasn’t there the last time it happened. I started in feb, this happened the Xmas before. I am simply preparing myself and getting my facts right before it does and it looks like it is on course to happen this year. I’m not as big of a walk over as my colleagues haven taken a previous employer to tribunal over a redundancy. If this is pulled out of the bag the day before holidays I will simply point out the facts and take my leave anyway.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    You are legally only allowed to carry over a max of 8 days holiday and only with the agreement of both parties. (Assumes min of 28days leave)
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    paddedjohn wrote: »
    You are legally only allowed to carry over a max of 8 days holiday and only with the agreement of both parties. (Assumes min of 28days leave)

This can't be right - I'm a Civil Servant, our policies allow us to carry over up to 10 days as standard , we can carry over more with the agreement of our manager.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure