Effect of UK leaving the EU on consumers & consumer protection: Commons debate

UKParliament
UKParliament Posts: 749
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
Organisation Representative
edited 6 October 2017 at 11:43AM in Consumer rights
ImageVaultHandler.aspx.jpg

On Tuesday 10 October at 2.30pm, MPs will debate the effect of the UK leaving the EU on consumers and consumer protection.

This Westminster Hall debate has been proposed by Vicky Ford MP.
37672.jpg.jpg

Vicky Ford proposed this debate because:
"The Secretary of State for DexEU has promised to make sure that Brexit works for Consumers as well as Business but there have not yet been many detailed discussions.

In my previous role I chaired the Internal Market and Consumer Protection committee of the European Parliament so I am very aware that UK consumers benefit from many EU consumer laws both when they are purchasing in the UK, as well as when travelling in other EU countries. Furthermore many consumers from other EU countries will still wish to travel to the UK or purchase goods from UK sellers therefore it is important for people from other EU countries that consumer issues are considered.

As well as issues affecting travel and purchase of goods, there are many issues to do with consumer purchase of financial products including property related purchases (mortgages etc). My intention is to put as many issues on the table as possible during the debate so that there is a steer given to ministers of the issues that consumers consider to be the highest priority.

And, as the person who negotiated the end of Mobile Roaming Charges, I would greatly like to make sure we don’t add any more new unnecessary costs for consumers!"

You can watch the debate live or catch-up later on Parliament TV.
logo-main.png

The House of Commons Library has produced a research briefing for the debate.
Effect of UK leaving the EU on consumers and consumer protection

Get involved with the debate by sharing your thoughts and questions that you would like raised in the debate with your MP.

Find your MP
Official Organisation Representative
I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Have to wonder if they know the difference between UK consumer regulations and protection compared with these supposed EU consumer laws .
  • Thought we already had better protection. Ooops wait. There’s the magical EU six year rule people keep talking about!
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    The effect of leaving the EU is bad. This has been established, except to those who still want to hide behind fishing rights being more important than the whole economy....
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Have to wonder if they know the difference between UK consumer regulations and protection compared with these supposed EU consumer laws .

I think they know the difference just fine.

All our consumer protection legislation in the UK was implemented due to EU legislation and all of the UK legislation mentions the EU directives as its primary legislation. And I do mean all.

When a court looks to clarify the interpretation of a provision, it will often rely heavily on the primary legislation (and will also consider the intent of the lawmakers). I'm sure you can appreciate how that would cause problems if the EU legislation is still cited as the primary source given the EU could clarify or change provisions and our courts would end up applying the same interpretation.

The simple answer to this involves a mammoth undertaking of basically rewriting every law influenced by the EU so that its primary legislation is in the UK rather than the EU.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • NineDeuce wrote: »
    The effect of leaving the EU is bad. This has been established, except to those who still want to hide behind fishing rights being more important than the whole economy....
    Bu99er off to France then!
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Bu99er off to France then!

Ok then chum...
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 October 2017 at 2:48PM
    Thought we already had better protection. Ooops wait. There’s the magical EU six year rule people keep talking about!
    JJ_Egan wrote: »

Posts like this sum up much of what is wrong with our political system.

Instead of responding sensibly to a perfectly sensible consultation, you choose to spew vitriol all over it. Its unbelievably negative.

There should be nothing 'remain' or 'leave' about discussions concerning how Brexit should actually be achieved and what the legal landscape should look like.

Many things ranging from the right to return online purchases; limits on roaming charges when you travel overseas; limits on surcharges for paying by credit card; fire safety regulations; advertising regulations; regulations dealing with unfair terms in T&Cs; almost every law that exists on privacy and data protection etc. etc. all come from European law. Some of it has been enshrined in UK law, some of it hasn't.

It is simply a fact that Brexit will impact on this. What should happen to those laws - e.g. should they be strengthened, weakened, left the same, amended .... it needs to be dealt with whether you are a remainer or a brexiteer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure