What do you do when there is not enough money?

Comments

• @LHW99, thank you. Good point, yes this is also being attended to and hopefully will be fast tracked. We have also found out that at the present time they are entitled to relief from council tax. I'm not sure what benefit that is actually related to but the council have agreed it. Thanks again, this is all useful stuff. So far, I think we have everything covered but it's useful to have other opinions and ideas.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    All the above is too heavily focused on the survivor for my liking. While the benefits situation does need to be taken into account, I wonder if it would not be worth investigating some means of added income for the terminally ill relative’s final months? It seems to have been their prudence that built up the sum and all we are talking about is how to let the survivor continue to live as well as possible with minimal need to work?

Terminal illness is expensive and I wouldn’t want my relatives to have to skimp on a few luxuries over the last few months. I’d look at drawing down (or equity release) just enough to come up to the means-tested capital limit to provide a pot of cash to make life as near to bearable as possible. In due course, the survivor can then go out to work to rebuild the pot for their own on-going living costs and retirement.
  • @Apodemus, point well made. This thread is about the situation of the surviving person. That is what I have been asked to help with. I imagine that the sick person's needs and wants are being attended to, though as you can imagine, that is a closed door issue from the outside of the immediate family. Thanks again for your concern and input.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,991 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am not sure if anyone has mentioned the 2880 grossed up to 3600 pension allowance for non-earners or if working and started drawing down the 4k annual allowance? Not huge sums but an extra 720pa until spa is not nothing either.
    I think....
  • @michaels, there is no money for stuff like that, I'm afraid. Thanks anyway.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Joey_Soap wrote: »
    You are an adviser, I presume? Kindly refrain from the insults.

It's no business of yours, but I do very successfully run several SIPP portfolios for my immediate family.

I repeat - I will not allow an IFA to leech money away from a relative who cannot afford to keep the typical adviser running his Mercedes E Class as they all seem to do.

Please do your maths - 25% of 4% is 1%. Leaving my relative with 3%. The other 1% goes towards the Mercedes.

I am Not adviser nor am I related to one. I do however know what they do. And if its no business of mine pulling you up on innaccuracies, dont post in an anonymous forum for advice?

And you c an find avisers who charge only .5% . Look for one, or be prepareed to be sued by all who you advise if things go wrong.

Advice is a regualted activity. And you are not regulated.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Spotted several inconsistencies in what has been written so far.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have no idea what car my IFA uses, he has only visited us at home once and arrived on a bicycle.

I wasn't referring particularly to IFA's. Business in general. Expensive cars tend to be leased and paid for by the business (i.e. the customer). Different circumstances to owning a Ferrai F40 as a hobby car.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Joey_Soap wrote: »
    @michaels, there is no money for stuff like that, I'm afraid. Thanks anyway.
    They could use part of the £70k cash you were talking about earlier. See this (long) thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5580163
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Having looked again at your figures it seems to me you are being inconsistent with regards to risk management and may be taking insufficent account of inflation.......

a) In the next 11 years
    You are proposing extreme caution with the £70K by keeping it all in cash for the whole of the 11 years. On the other hand you are expecting to create a pot of £180K in that time. Is this at current prices or simply in £ terms? If the former relying on an average return of 5%+inflation is risky and probably would not be achieved with "a steady and relatively secure investment" and could well be missed anyway. On the other hand if it is in £ terms £180K would be worth only around £135000 in today's money in 11 years time with 2.5% average inflation.

b) 20-30 years of drawing down 4% of starting lump sum every year
    Presumably this is increasing with inflation? If so, again, you will probably not be able to achieve this with investments that produce a steady return. You will need a significant % equity with the risk of occasional major falls in value.

Modelling the £180K/£7600 proposal on http://www.cfiresim.com suggests (based on historical US data) that with these numbers there is around a 50% chance that the pot size will drop below 60% of its initial value at some stage even with a relatively cautious 50% equity/bond split. Might your relative be getting a little worried were this to happen?

If you are intending to set expectations perhaps you should be rather less ambitious.

And finally - a £180K drawdown portfolio will require ongoing management for the rest of your relative's life, say for the next 30-40 years Who is going to provide this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure