PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Snagging issues and showering facilities

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Talk about first world problems and an over-inflated sense of entitlement.... £15 from amazon or £12 from B&Q

If the lady of the house asked nicely, they might get something, when spending £££ they should keep their customers happy.
  • k3lvc wrote: »
    You could afford a tin bath ? We had to make do with a puddle out in the street :rotfl:

I'll see your puddle & raise you my river!

OP - necessity is the mother of invention. If you have a gym membership & you hate baths that much why don't you use the showers at the gym?
  • gonebust
    gonebust Posts: 170 Forumite
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Quite how mankind survived the Victorian era of a tin bath once a week in front of the fire is nothing short of a miracle....

Victorian????

We had a tin bath and outside loo until 1968 then we ( 2 adults and 3 kids) were forced to slum it in a one bathroom house with no shower

I never got a shower over the the bath till 1995 :(

Wondering who I can sue or claim compo from???
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 July 2017 at 2:57AM
    I have 3 adults and one child with one bath and a boiler that will only heat enough water for one bath, then you have to start heating the water again (oh for a combination boiler lol).

I can get everyone in the bath if they need it over 2 or 3 hours, it just takes some organising. We often don't bath every day (except when its hot) and we are still living and do not have people refusing to come near us because of odours.

You can manage quite easily with one bath. If the kids are young enough, they can share. Use a bucket if you insist on a shower. You can buy them for 99p in most pound shops. Put some holes in the bottom if you really see the need.

The way i always view it, if you have a bath, however much you don't like sitting in 'dirty' water (which is a tad precious I'm afraid), you are going to be a lot cleaner coming out than going in if you use soap.

I prefer showers to baths but am still here after not having access to one for the last couple of years. Just too glad to have a roof over our heads.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    k3lvc wrote: »
    You could afford a tin bath ? We had to make do with a puddle out in the street :rotfl:

Yes, but you only had to tumble out of your cardboard sleeping box to be in the puddle!
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I must have had it bad. There were 5 of us plus parents sharing one bathroom when I was a kid and that was the 90's!

Legal requirement for a shower... whatever next
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    OP, if you don't like baths you can, as others suggest, get shower to fit over the bath tap(s) as a temporary solution, or pay to fit your own over-bath shower. You can also wash in the sink, if it comes to that.

I don't think it is reasonable or realistic to expect the builder to put you into a batter position than if the fault hadn't occurred, which is what you are asking.

One bathroom and 5 people is not perfect but it's nowhere near impossible. You can, short term, impose a time limit or rota for use of the bath.

Growing up, there were 6 of us (2 parents + 4 children) with just one bathroom for several years, and then when I went to university there were 6 adults sharing one bathroom. You just need a bit of give and take.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,692 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    As previously suggested you could still have a shower type experience using a bucket. In the past I have stood in the bath wet body using a jug, soaped then rinsed usually from handbasin.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    k3lvc wrote: »
    I've just found you on youtube. Glad things are better these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAdlkunflRs
  • I'd like to recommend a bit of voluntary work overseas. There are plenty of places you can go to get a more complete and balanced view of how precious water is.

I still look at water very differently over a decade later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure