Broadband speed problem

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,013 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Rubidium wrote: »
    OK so you currently have a filtered faceplate.

You could simply remove this and connect your router/hub directly to the master test socket to see if this makes any difference, no need to wait for your new ADSL filter to arrive.

There is no point plugging another ADSL filter into your filtered faceplate.

Your line attenuation is very high and many routers will only show levels up to 63db and that may not actually be a true figure because the router cannot display a higher figure i.e. that is a maximum level that it can display.

Thanks -will try this

DavidP24 wrote: »
    Surely that socket splits the signal, if you plug in another splitter will it not just split an already split signal or does it only split certain frequencies.

I guess the big question is whether this socket if installed by BT is their responsibility and thus should avoid the fee.

Yes, installed by BT. Thanks, that will help.
  • Gers
    edited 10 July 2017 at 4:40PM
    I've done the test socket test and the speed is still showing at 0.46mpbs.

Not sure what this means but am hoping it's a problem with BT equipment / systems??

Thanks
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    46 meg at the BT master socket that's BT fibre 1 speed .Or is that .46 ?
  • Gers
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    46 meg at the BT master socket that's BT fibre 1 speed .Or is that .46 ?

Sorry. 0.46
  • Gers
    Update:

After doing the test socket test I rang BT again, who again did a check on the line. The friendly chap - they all seem to be in Ireland these days - is going to do an SNR reset.

Yep, no idea but he seems to think it'll help. He'll call me back tomorrow so watch this space.

Thanks so much so far. I really appreciate all the advice. :beer:
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Signal to Noise Ratio is SNR , don't think it will make much difference as the hub learns the profile of the line and if it's crap it will wander back down
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Gers
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Signal to Noise Ratio is SNR , don't think it will make much difference as the hub learns the profile of the line and if it's crap it will wander back down

Me neither, but I have to give them a chance! Hopefully they'll decide to send an engineer out eventually.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 1:54PM
    Gers wrote: »
    Line actuation: 63
    Data rate: 448 bps / 1.92 kbps
    Noise margin: 14 / 8.9
    Well 63dB is the highest attenuation that some or even all routers will report.
    With the 1.92kbps sync you won't get any faster until the SNR reset is done and it's back to the default 6dB when your speed will probably recover to what it was before. If there is some local electrical noise then it could quickly drop back down to what you have now if it can't hold the higher sync rate.

As you've made no changes at home and have a filtered faceplate then the problem could be with the line or it could be something creating local electrical noise. Have you recently bought anything new that uses a plug in PSU. Sometimes switch mode PSUs can be faulty and screw up broadband speeds.
  • Gers
    Speed down to 0.11mbps a few minutes ago! :eek: No idea what's going on.

Don't know what a PSU is, but nothing new added here.

I'll check again in the morning and take readings from the HH too and then post them.

Thanks.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 10:38PM
    PSU = power supply unit. Irrelevant if you've had nothing new,

A nearby lighting strike can screw things up too as can just about anything causing electrical noise.

If it was a one-off event then the SNR reset will sort you out back to where you were with a poor but I guess usable speed. If there is some sort of fault then the reset will be undone by dynamic line management in a short time.

If you have a phone there is a quiet line test number 17070 option 2 but you can get the same effect by just dialling a 0 - listen and there should be virtually no noise on the line. Crackling or a muted hiss which disappears with the router turned off suggests a bad joint on the line. Silence and I've no idea.

From memory I think the BTw tester gives you your target and minimum line speed - http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ Worth a look. I can't try it as I'm currently on 4G.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure