We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Comments

• tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In quite a good mood as we nipped up to the allotment to collect something we had forgot to bring home yesterday and we were stopped by another allotmenteer. They told me how well I am doing at clearing the site.

It is only coming on in bits but I am trying to logically work on it. Don't get me wrong there is a long way to go but the guy was telling me that i have done more to mine than the one next to me which has been in its current state for two years.
    Go get it!
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    A reminder to everyone that "allotment life" on Facebook is well worth a look :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    thanks for the welcome guys :)

Those who are good at Rhubarb, can you advise? I think I over harvested 3 of my 4 plants last year, as they have failed to come up at all this year. Anything I can do? Will they rejuvenate or do I just write them off and use the space for something else?
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Kantankrus_Mare Posts: 6,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    stoozie1 wrote: »

Those who are good at Rhubarb, can you advise? I think I over harvested 3 of my 4 plants last year, as they have failed to come up at all this year. Anything I can do? Will they rejuvenate or do I just write them off and use the space for something else?

Years ago, my rhubarb......although producing small amounts, wasnt doing brilliantly.

I waited till the autumn and dug up the roots and seperated them.
    After replanting they had a new lease of life and despite being moved to a new plot.......are doing brilliantly.

In the meantime.........plenty of organic matter round the roots and a good watering? We havent had much rainfall.

Good luck.

If my courgettes that I planted out last week survive I will be amazed. Temperatures have dropped this last week and a howling wind last night didnt bode well. :(
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite

Good luck.

If my courgettes that I planted out last week survive I will be amazed. Temperatures have dropped this last week and a howling wind last night didnt bode well. :(

Thanks.

Would a clear plastic cloche help your courgettes weather the wind? I found the top of a 3l drinks bottle worked before on my early peas.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

I had exactly the same problem about 4yrs ago. My rhubarb just started to show but then disappeared, I suspect rabbits or pigeons ate the new tops, I'm not sure which of the two as I never saw anything but the rhubarb was in plenty of good muck/compost and should have been ok and I always thought rhubarb was pretty immune to pests so didn't protect it. I've started again this year but have covered them over at the moment.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Still not made it up the plot.

Self testing has given rise to the belief I am suffering from adrenal fatigue, so that's become a bit all encompassing of my energy at the moment.

But my aim today is to pot on some tiny seedlings and sow some sweetcorn. If that gets done, I'll be happy for today :)
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Kantankrus_Mare Posts: 6,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks.

Would a clear plastic cloche help your courgettes weather the wind? I found the top of a 3l drinks bottle worked before on my early peas.

Ive got some rings of plastic round the plants and checked on them yesterday morning. They are still alive though some leaves have died off. Fingers crossed.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • londonlydia
    londonlydia Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks everyone for your warm welcome to this board!

I've now ordered the bits I need for fixing up my shed on the plot. Not cheap but better than buying a new shed!

I'm not sure I mentioned, but there is a very established cherry tree on the plot next to the shed. The site secretary said I'm lucky as there restrictions in putting in fruit trees now. However, she says I'll need to trim it, as it's so large (twice the height of my shed!). She said I should prune it in the early part of next year, but the advice online says I'm better off doing it early to mid summer. But that's harvesting season for cherries as I understand. What do peeps think here? Even though I'm personally not fond of cherries, I have friends who are, and I don't want to kill the tree! Also, do people put netting on it?
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 May 2017 at 6:16PM
    I've not done much for the last few days, no excuse really, I just didn't feel like it. However, today I've watered everywhere and got myself a plan for this week.

I've also dug up the last of the first early potatoes. I've been digging up the odd potato when needed but I now need the space so I've cleared the last 6 plants. I've managed to get about a washing up bowl full which should last us 3-4 weeks which will give the next lot (Charlotte) chance to bulk up a little.

Things are doing OK except my tomatoes which have failed to germinate, maybe it was old seed but I'm not sure whether to go to the garden centre and see what they have or have another go at sowing some again.

Hopefully I'll feel more enthused tomorrow :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport